Two Tone Interceptor Barn Find

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Pymmie

Two Tone Interceptor Barn Find

Post by Pymmie »

Found this via Facebook

Think it’s been bought and dragged out...

John P
Attachments
A440F8BD-9A22-41D4-9A41-CEABB4659814.jpeg
A440F8BD-9A22-41D4-9A41-CEABB4659814.jpeg (92.87 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
AA1760CD-C70C-4441-8FE2-32018F95881C.jpeg
AA1760CD-C70C-4441-8FE2-32018F95881C.jpeg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
F7CF40F8-E6F0-4F4B-932D-9D65A4A880FC.jpeg
F7CF40F8-E6F0-4F4B-932D-9D65A4A880FC.jpeg (131.83 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
kenny38

Re: Two Tone Interceptor Barn Find

Post by kenny38 »

Another one for the mug trade. Watch the auctions after it has had a cheap respray and bog. A tired old engine will be put in making this another bottomless pit of misery for a future parking under a tarp. Go on, tell me that she will be tastefully restored fit to win a future concours :D I get more cynical as I age. kenny38 8)
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Heck that is actually 3 tone with the white? top! :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Who on earth painted this car? Someone on Human Growth pills? Did Jensen do this as a special order? Calver R. would know. But he is now into guns and can be a dangerous sod. So I won't ask. Perhaps it was owned by Duncan for a while. Kenny38 8)
ernie100

Post by ernie100 »

Hi
A stupid question. Are there any records of any Interceptors being painted two tone by the factory(I know this one is strictly 3 tone)? I am excluding out vinyl or painted roofs. The reason that I am asking is that is the sort of thing I could imagine new owners specifying.
I am currently working on the restoration of a Mark 111. The decision that really vexes me is what colour to paint her ? My favourite is Jensen yellow, but through my deliberations I have gone through so many colours .................HOWEVER, the thought of a two tone Jensen kinda appeals to me...ie without a separate painted roof nor vinyl but two body colours over the entirety of the car. Am I bonkers or does the shape of a Jensen complement a two tone? At least it is different!
Thanks
David

Warwickshire.....
Mark 111...being restored...(An Interceptor newbie)
E Type Series 2
1957 Land Rover Series 1
Mazda MX5 Rocketeer (V6 Jaguar 3 litre )
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

David, When an Interceptor was painted two tone, or duotone as it was referred to, the colour change was for the roof so literally only the roof panel had the change of colour, certainly not on the waist line like this one!
Quite a few Mk1s were painted duotone. Only about a dozen or so Mk2s were duotone. Duotone was not offered on Mk3s. By then it was out of fashion and vinyl roof coverings were then in fashion. I think almost all SPs came with vinyl roof as standard, for Mk3s it was an option.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

I know this looks terrible but ..... if you've had a car for some years and it starts to get tatty around the edges, needing new wings, valence and cills, maybe floor repairs ... then you may as well start with one that really does need new wings and cills. If (IF) the interior is good, then it might not be such a bad job. Yes, it would cost maybe £20K, £30K or more, but just might be worth it for a car you then know is good.

But I'm not that brave these days!

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
ernie100

Post by ernie100 »

Chris_R wrote:David, When an Interceptor was painted two tone, or duotone as it was referred to, the colour change was for the roof so literally only the roof panel had the change of colour, certainly not on the waist line like this one!
Quite a few Mk1s were painted duotone. Only about a dozen or so Mk2s were duotone. Duotone was not offered on Mk3s. By then it was out of fashion and vinyl roof coverings were then in fashion. I think almost all SPs came with vinyl roof as standard, for Mk3s it was an option.
Thanks Chris, If that is the definitive answer so be it: However I have got the impression that often cars were painted in bespoke colours, so I wondered if it was likely that this could have been reflected in unique two tone ie not the roof body/ duotone only. Remember many Bentley and RR were painted in two colours.
Thanks
David

Warwickshire.....
Mark 111...being restored...(An Interceptor newbie)
E Type Series 2
1957 Land Rover Series 1
Mazda MX5 Rocketeer (V6 Jaguar 3 litre )
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

David, there is an excellent book by Richard Calver that documents all this sort of stuff. About 1400 had vinyl roofs, 2000 had same as body and 34 did have duotone.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
johnw

Post by johnw »

kenny38 wrote:Who on earth painted this car? Someone on Human Growth pills? Did Jensen do this as a special order? Calver R. would know. But he is now into guns and can be a dangerous sod. So I won't ask. Perhaps it was owned by Duncan for a while. Kenny38 8)
I have to agree I don't think anyone on this earth painted that Kenny. Heavenly. My mates off the council estate would be chanting "Jensen Jensen Jensen" as that drove up. Contrasting number plate panel, edged in gold, sundym glass, sheepskin inserts, whitewalls. Did you see the Raybans in the glovebox? Only Gentlemen need apply baby. All it needs is a chin spoiler, gold leafed round the edges. Stratosphere blue over brienze blue with mist grey roof!!!, all gold pinstriped and contrasted. Admittedly there are a few ripples in the paint round the wheel arches. But these are handbuilt cars you know. Lead loaded. Cellulose paint you see. Sometimes you do get a bad reaction with the lead. If it buffs out you are onto a winner. Ke$ha wanted it in her video but she couldn't afford it and went for a gold plated chopper bike clone. https://youtu.be/iP6XpLQM2Cs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Some say she made a good choice. Seriously though, it does look like a decent project for someone.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

johnw wrote:
kenny38 wrote:Who on earth painted this car? Someone on Human Growth pills? Did Jensen do this as a special order? Calver R. would know. But he is now into guns and can be a dangerous sod. So I won't ask. Perhaps it was owned by Duncan for a while. Kenny38 8)
I have to agree I don't think anyone on this earth painted that Kenny. Heavenly. My mates off the council estate would be chanting "Jensen Jensen Jensen" as that drove up. Contrasting number plate panel, edged in gold, sundym glass, sheepskin inserts, whitewalls. Did you see the Raybans in the glovebox? Only Gentlemen need apply baby. All it needs is a chin spoiler, gold leafed round the edges. Stratosphere blue over brienze blue with mist grey roof!!!, all gold pinstriped and contrasted. Admittedly there are a few ripples in the paint round the wheel arches. But these are handbuilt cars you know. Lead loaded. Cellulose paint you see. Sometimes you do get a bad reaction with the lead. If it buffs out you are onto a winner. Ke$ha wanted it in her video but she couldn't afford it and went for a gold plated chopper bike clone. https://youtu.be/iP6XpLQM2Cs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Some say she made a good choice. Seriously though, it does look like a decent project for someone.

How can you judge a Jensen John, when you dont know a real chopper from your back door, thats a piece of crap lowrider beach thingie not the real deal. this is the SP in the chopper scene
Attachments
nos10.jpg
nos10.jpg (172.66 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Crikey, its got a B&M shifter too!!!

One question - where's the chain (or should that be bands and drums) :lol:

Dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Dino Fritz wrote:Crikey, its got a B&M shifter too!!!

One question - where's the chain (or should that be bands and drums) :lol:

Dino
ITS a nos bike the guy has never fitted the chain, :roll:
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
johnw

Post by johnw »

cannonball wrote: How can you judge a Jensen John, when you dont know a real chopper from your back door, thats a piece of crap lowrider beach thingie not the real deal. this is the SP in the chopper scene
I used to have a pink 5 speed. It used to have the small black lever marked Hi/Lo, but no front derailleur or 2nd chainwheel. Why has that one got 3 shift levers? I think I have figured out the 3 levers. The small one probably tightens up the friction shifter?
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

johnw wrote:
cannonball wrote: How can you judge a Jensen John, when you dont know a real chopper from your back door, thats a piece of crap lowrider beach thingie not the real deal. this is the SP in the chopper scene
I used to have a pink 5 speed. It used to have the small black lever marked Hi/Lo, but no front derailleur or 2nd chainwheel. Why has that one got 3 shift levers? I think I have figured out the 3 levers. The small one probably tightens up the friction shifter?
Yes your correct its the 10 speed so a lever for the derailleur at the rear lever for the front double chain drive and a friction lever to keep it where you intended, a pinkie is a rare bike as they did not sell well and had a short run time,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION

Return to “Cars For Sale”