alu heads

Mopar Big Block Talk
c.jensen

alu heads

Post by c.jensen »

http://www.440source.com/heads.htm

i sure wish i had seen this before spending MORE on recon. on my old heads ....................
Julian_S

Re: alu heads

Post by Julian_S »

c.Jensen wrote:http://www.440source.com/heads.htm

i sure wish i had seen this before spending MORE on recon. on my old heads ....................
I spoke to 440 about these heads. They're not available just yet. I came to the conclusion that you would need to be very brave to be amongst the lauch customers for an untested product. Let someone else find the casting porosity, cracks and warping first!

Besides, Edelbrock heads are no that much more...

Julian.
Interceptor III 136.9113
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

Having spent a gozzilian xxx£'s on my CV-8 I started musing on an
engine rebuild and ali heads.
Apparently the lighter weight is considerable to the extent that
the front springs (new) will be sufficiently released so as to give
a ridiculous nose-up look and so put paid to the handling.
The only answer is new springs built to a new spec.

I given it a miss out of respect to originality and my pocket

Barrie
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Barrie - I´m sorry but you are wrong.

I lightend my engine with alli heads, alli intake, alli waterpump, lighter pistons, rods and crank, lighter alternator, mini starter and so on.
That was a more than 60kg diet but it did not effect the front hight of the car.

Go for Edelbrock heads if you like them - but it will only the beginning of something more expensive if you do the engine right.
Kerry Moore

Post by Kerry Moore »

Don't forget ally heads will reduce your compression ratio by 1 full point due to better thermal conductivity (compression ratio is dynamic with fixed and variable elements. Piston compression is fixed, but cylinder temperature is variable by coolant temp, air temp, and how well the engine dissipates heat. Ally is much better at this than iron)

If you have a high compression engine, then it will drop it from 10:1 to 9:1 and make it more manageable on modern fuel. But if you have an 8.2:1 to start with, then you will drop to 7.2:1.

If you want to keep your original compression you ned to have smaller combustion chambers or higher compression pistons.
Interceptor III. 440ci 136-8779.

Dishonour before death.

www.jensenmondayclub.co.uk

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”