Vignale Interceptor

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Kevin Birch

Vignale Interceptor

Post by Kevin Birch »

Just looking at the Vignale Interceptor for sale, NAB 515D, believed to be the most original( unmolested )Vignale car in existence, though needing a full restoration, and noticed the rear hatch seal is different. Is this the original one, I would assume so, but looking at the other early cars, on the MK1 web site, none have this type of seal. It would be good to see the hatch open and see this seal in place, and how it is fixed. I should think just one piece of originality the new owner would have to consider, together with the hand beaten panels when restoration is undertaken.
It it good to see some photos of the hand built cars being constructed, and BEA 369C, the prototype, in the background.

See below.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24881/lot/108/
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
FFPL

Re: Vignale Interceptor

Post by FFPL »

I also have a vignale build (117/2544 which is vignale body 50; quite a late one) and, yes, the rear hatch rubbers are different. My hatch rubbers were changed to the later type and the hatch sits higher because of this. But I still have all the mounting holes in place where the orginal rubber was mounted to the body and have been discussing this with Ulric. I understand that Jason (Rejen) may be able to supply these now. Jason also has bonnet rubbers that resemble the vignale ones more closely and my bonnet that never closed properly due, again, to later rubber being fitted now closes easily.

It's not just the hatch rubbers but so many things are different. I also have an early West Brom built car (115/2719) and it's easy to do a comparison between the 2 as they are parked next to each other. There are so many differences that it may as well be a different car altogether. Even down to the door handles lock mechanism. One obvious thing is how well defined the body swage line is on the vignale car. They really are a special car.
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

Looking at the pictures I might assume that the hatch rubbers will be the least of your problems Kev.

Talk to someone who has restored one of these - and check your funds :shock:

On the other hand: brave attempt. GO FOR IT !!
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
ajm541s

Post by ajm541s »

Kevin Birch wrote:Just looking at the Vignale Interceptor for sale, NAB 515D, believed to be the most original( unmolested )Vignale car in existence, though needing a full restoration, and noticed the rear hatch seal is different. Is this the original one, I would assume so, but looking at the other early cars, on the MK1 web site, none have this type of seal. It would be good to see the hatch open and see this seal in place, and how it is fixed. I should think just one piece of originality the new owner would have to consider, together with the hand beaten panels when restoration is undertaken.
It it good to see some photos of the hand built cars being constructed, and BEA 369C, the prototype, in the background.

See below.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24881/lot/108/
This car was George newbury's personal 'smoker' and, as in Calver, carried the number NM8; the present number is aGE RELATED.

IMHO only Vignale got the boot lid to fit properly, and maybe this was due to the different seals.
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Jens wrote:Looking at the pictures I might assume that the hatch rubbers will be the least of your problems Kev.

Talk to someone who has restored one of these - and check your funds :shock:

On the other hand: brave attempt. GO FOR IT !!
Hi Jens,

would love to go for it, but well above my funds and skills, and this car should be restored sympathetically, in the same way as it was originally constructed.
I was just intrigued as the rubber is so obviously different from anything I have seen, and wondered if anybody had noticed.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

Ah, c‘mon Kev - don‘t be a ninny, do it!

Only the brave change the world.
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Kevin

if you miss this one I am aware of another Vignale that might be coming up.
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

If i win the lottery!!

have too many projects going already;

ongoing improvement of my MK1.
Mk2 Lotus Cortina full restoration,
Son's '89 Mini 30, which has just been evicted from it's garage due to redevelopment.

So on top of these projects, not enough room either. :(

Return to “General Discussion”