Jensen Interceptor Mk1 - some photos

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Jensen Interceptor Mk1 - some photos

Post by KaranMK2 »

I bought my 1969 in a poor state and it still is. It was off the road in the mid 80's although it was undergoing works since. However, I have got it running and over the last 8 weeks - i've installed new S/S exhausts from Appleyards, got the brakes working as they should, replaced fuel pump, changed oil and filter, sorted out the radiator fans, installed an override switch for the otter switch, replaced the aeriel and got it working on switch (Voxson gives an output on speakers but no audio - just noise),cleaned a lot of electrical connections, got lights work (well almost as outer headlights don't light as yet), cleaner rocker cover and replaced gasket, installed new tyres from Brockley (great looking tyres), started to sample repair the interior (see driver's seat now need to do the lot), got some nice burr walnut veneer to replace the veneer trim where the gear lever is, re-installed the tyre holder as it was taken off, sprayed (very roughly) with zinc primer in certain areas to preserve until full body work re-spray next year, welded in new side rear sill arch, cut away sills and looking to source replacement for re-welding, bought new bosch spark plugs but yet to find a minute to change, cleaned out carter carburettor but still not happy as the starting is a bit intermittent but great once some fuel is in the carb, got cogs for both windows as motor is winding away but no movement of the glass (becoming an expert at this task)but yet to do and will change glass windows at the same time.Will need to replace the sun-roof covering at some point. Need to source bumpers with overriders and rear lights, plus find out why the fuel gauge is not working but hoping it is just not connected when the tank was replaced. The car is insured and I have driven around the block, it seems quicker than my Mk2 and Mk3 and much louder - i like it. I have my work cut out and its a challenge to say the least but learning lots about these cars in my weekend and evening. BTW, please can anyone shed any light on why my glove box (middle console) is so darn high - it is good armrest and I could fit a lot into it but its the only one I have seen so tall from the Mk1 photos I have looked at, It seems an original install as the usual markers are labels are inside it. I think the switch inside at the back are for the speakers?

I will get these attachment and other photos uploaded on the Mk1 site.

Hope you are not bored but now I understand why these cars (also have stripped a Mk3) takes so long to restore. Repairs needed are exactly as experienced club member have stated.

Regards
Karan
Attachments
IMG_0623.jpg
IMG_0623.jpg (109.28 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0626.jpg (142.82 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
IMG_0625.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg (137.42 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg (141.54 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
IMG_0629.jpg
IMG_0629.jpg (144.3 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
IMG_0635.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg (98.81 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg (107.06 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg (178.51 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0646.jpg (118.87 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
Richie
V8 Lover

Re: Jensen Interceptor Mk1 - some photos

Post by Richie »

Well done Karan.
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

I love those Mk 1 dashboards, with the toggle switches!

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

:D getting there, please email me the photos and I will add to your page on the MK1 site. - well done and the switch at the back of the centre console is for the rear speakers.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hi Karan,
I have seen another Interceptor with a really high glovebox like that, it was done to take one of the old car phones, maybe the 1st owner ordered it high like that from new for his own reasons.. maybe a car phone, or any other bulky item that he may have wanted specifically in his car?Image.. if it looks like the correct original vinyl that matches the side of the console and the lid then you should leave it as it is very unusual and being original it's nice :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Fantastic work Karen. Interior leather looks great for its age too.

Unless my eyes deceive me, you'll need to look out for a Voxson faceplate (with horizontal indents) for that finishing touch to the period look. But the interior looks fab as it is.

Stuart
johnw

Post by johnw »

What a find that car was! I don't think you will get another this good. All the original fasteners in the engine bay, even down to pipe clips, which look to have been meticulously cleaned!! The engine bay is looking so so good. That centre console glove box looks gorgeous with obviously original trim. No idea why it is so high, perhaps the original owner asked for a larger glove box? A woman with a large collection of driving gloves or a man with a large cigar collection? That is normal first start in the morning with the original starter. If you notice, your oil pressure will be up as a result by the time it first fires. Mk1's will be quicker off the line, with the low stall torque converter (fitted to non air con motors) and the lower diff ratio, plus closed chamber heads on the very early cars. Yours may well have 906 heads by 1969, larger valves, but slightly lower compression. The Voxson's are amazing when they work, a really rich deep sound. They have a separate amp between the head unit and the speakers so hopefully it is a loose connection between the speakers and amp.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Mark1Stu wrote:Fantastic work Karen. Interior leather looks great for its age too.

Unless my eyes deceive me, you'll need to look out for a Voxson faceplate (with horizontal indents) for that finishing touch to the period look. But the interior looks fab as it is.

Stuart

It looks like an original Voxson faceplate because of the peripheral rebate but with the small panels that are sometimes veneered in place behind the knobs. I had an old Jensen Voxson like this and when I took the small panels off the horizontal indents were revealed. I have since sold the Jensen Voxson but still have the small panels somewhere. I am a huge fan of these Voxsons, a lovely timbre when properly sorted. Fantastic car Karan :D
Last edited by Frankoid on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Interesting. I thought it was a faceplate from a later Voxson (equivalent to the 108 model).

Can't believe I'm not only getting involved in such a discussion on such minutia....but posting it as well. :lol:
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

We need our Italian Voxson expert to come in now ! :D https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21487" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

:lol: Bruno, help!!
johnw

Post by johnw »

Frankoid wrote:
Mark1Stu wrote:Fantastic work Karen. Interior leather looks great for its age too.

Stuart

It looks like an original Voxson faceplate because of the peripheral rebate but with the small panels that are sometimes veneered in place behind the knobs. I had an old Jensen Voxson like this and when I took the small panels off the horizontal indents were revealed. I have since sold the Jensen Voxson but still have the small panels somewhere. I am a huge fan of these Voxsons, a lovely timbre when properly sorted. Fantastic car Karan :D
I'd agree with that.

If it is not a simple fix to the player I would all it as is "for now". I'm a bit paranoid about getting stuff like that repaired. Each Voxson has a serial number which will be mentioned in the chassis file if it was factory fitted. 8 track tapes are extremely addictive. Many records of that era sold after people heard them on 70s radios. Only stuff that sounded really good distorted through 70s speakers and 8 tracks topped the charts! As a result hit records from the 70s sound better on 8 track than any other player. If you do get into 8 track google Kates Track Shack, it is cheaper than an itunes download. Also, get a player for the house so you can fix/test tapes before jamming the one up in your car. I now have 100+ tapes since getting the Jensen.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Well done, already looking considerably better than when I saw it https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

The glove box is an original install as the vinyl all match plus there are no empty screw holes / fixing when I temporarily removed it plus the labelling where the slide switch (speakers?) is at the back bottom is original and intact. The voxson - yes matching burr walnut veneer where the knobs are - think sitting on the slotted part of the voxson facia panel. Whilst I really like the slotted part of the facia panel I am loathe to remove the veneer. Lots of work to do on this car - just need to plan and take my time. I must admit that the new exhaust looks and sound great. Stuart, I am still interested on your bumpers but will need at least the centre piece for the front bumper and one overider for the back - anyone? The alternative is to get S/S ones and get them chromed but not sure.Good to get some positive emails as I tell you - it can lower you on the best of days- for example - now screwing down the oil filter cap suffiently can create quite a mess quickly . Grant, the spare window glasses that I have are sundym from what I can tell so some point I will replaced the scratched ones- anything to be mindful off when I swop out the glass - is there a methodology / technique?

Karan
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Try and get window glass of the same era/year Karan. The logo in the glass changed - you'll find more later ones than earlier ones around.

Stu

Return to “General Discussion”