cv8 at Brightwells

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Peter Rothery

cv8 at Brightwells

Post by Peter Rothery »

brightwells cv8.jpg
brightwells cv8.jpg (250.37 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
https://www.brightwells.com/classic-mot ... 24th-june/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Re: cv8 at Brightwells

Post by John Staddon »

Last recorded in February 1994. The first owner was Robert Sweeney, an American but an anglophile, he was a banker in London in 1964 but a RAVR Squadron leader in WW2 and as far as I know the only C-V8 owner to sink a U-Boat (U-404 on 26th July 1943). 'Bobby' Sweeney and his brother Charles, who bought 104/2170, would make very good subjects for an article in the magazine so i won't divulge any more.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

From the advert
Of the 500 Jensen C-V8 models produced in total, only 248 are known to survive worldwide
is that figure correct John?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

Hi Chris

There is no definitive figure. Richard Calver says, on his website

"I'm often asked how many of the almost 19,000 Jensen cars survive. That's a tough question to answer because obviously not everyone who owns a Jensen tells me about it.

I use rolling averages in 5-year blocks to estimate the survival rate. I figure that, if I haven't heard about a car in the last five years, it's no longer safe to assume it's still around. Maybe it is; maybe it isn't. Conversely, if I have heard about a car sometime during the past five years, then I'm assuming the worst hasn't happened yet and it's still in one piece somewhere."

On that basis Richard records 169 C-V8s surviving in the last 5 years, but for the last 10 years records 334. My records say 265 seen in the last 5 years and 342 seen in the last 10 years, but 5 of them have appeared this year (actually 4 this year and 1 just before Xmas last year) so as Richard only updates his figures annually my equivalent figure would be 337, a difference of 3 and not worth worrying about. There is obviously a big difference in the numbers seen in the last 5 years but unless Richard and i tried a car by car reconciliation I can't explain it, probably Richard would shoot me down on some of my numbers and i would convince Richard that others have been seen more recently, it might take a while though! I might add that there are 6 more cars that are recorded by the DVLA (currently licensed or SORNED) but I have never seen them and don't have any recent record of them.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Same sort of problem keeping up to date with the MK1 survivors. I have recently started a spreadsheet to capture when I see, or hear, of a MK1. However, after the initial interest when I started some have not been heard/ updated since. My initial list was an amalgamation of numerous others lists, hence why a few cars are showing as last seen at the turn of the century, or earlier. Although I ask for updates some seem reticent to give information and I am beginning to think that I am at times I am a bit pushy asking for updates. On the MK1 site I leave it to others to choose what they believe is a reasonable cut off point.see http://www.joc.org.uk/Interceptor_Mk_1/ ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps if anyone wants to update please don't all rush at once
monk1483

Post by monk1483 »

Are C-V8's now falling in value, this is the second one in as many weeks in the 15-20k for what seems a pretty fair example.
SRD

Post by SRD »

The last example needing a fair amount of work made 30k.

This car has now been off the road for many years (22 to be exact) and appearances as I know from my own experience can be deceptive. Ignore the fibre glass body, look underneath for the rot, that is where the bills will be.

I do like this from the auctioneers description:

"The interior is in nice condition considering its lack of use, and after a weekend spent with some leather treatment should look luxurious once again."
Last edited by SRD on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SRD

Post by SRD »

bump

Return to “Cars For Sale”