Restore or Restomod?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
JACB

Restore or Restomod?

Post by JACB »

We all face the same question Restore or Restomod? Keep it 100% standard or?

An interesting article was just posted online .... Food for thought, Comments?

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/features ... -restomod/
2340/1843
Superheat

Re: Restore or Restomod?

Post by Superheat »

I restored my Interceptor so it can be regularly driven and not kept as a work of art. An update on the progress of 123/3660 has been posted under Members Cars.

Non-original features include:
Sage green from California Sage
17" alloy replicas of the 15" restyles
LED lighting
Remote central locking
Gear Vendor overdrive
LED daytime driving lights

Interesting enhancements include:
440 bored out to 452CI engine
Stainless headers
2 1/2" exhaust

Minor improvements include:
Shift kitted gearbox
High amp alternator
High torque starter
Green stuff brake pads

So the modifications are a combination of improving reliability, safety and performance. For the purists the changes are all reversible.
1969 Interceptor Mk II 123/3660
Jet boat - Jet44 - 4.4litre V8
1953 Morris Minor Tourer (Morris/Datsun hybrid)
Healing 1970's single speed pub bike 16kg
Giant Propel Pro 1 8.5kg
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Mine has many of the same modifications. I don‘t see the issue. I don’t know what the US is like in terms of restorations, but it can’t be the whaleoil or the modern tires which are a problem.

I‘m not sure that it makes much sense to term 95% (99%?) of our Jensens as „restomods“ with these updates. Even if the cars are not 100% original, almost all are true to the original- even if they are better to drive now than when they were new. The 0-60 times and the top speed on my car is basically unchanged, but the handling is better with the updated wheels, suspension and brakes. I do have a set of Selectarides though if a future owner wants to experience the original suspension.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Being involved with collector cars my entire life first with my Sunbeam Tiger then my Mustang and now the Interceptor I have seen over and over how the cars all get modified to suit the owners and then as the value goes up the cars all get put back to original. Good example is Shelby Mustangs. Having been involved with the US national club from the beginning I can tell you the first shows were all about getting people to show up and the cars were all modified and tricked out. Today you will rarely see any original real Shelby that is not 100% stock. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

And for every real Shelby Mustang, there are 10 lookalikes which aren‘t Shelbys? And how many of the real Shelbys are still driven, and would Shelby himself not have upgraded the cars with better brakes?
Last edited by felixkk on Sun May 13, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I remember talking to an owner of a very original Interceptor at an International a few years ago. It was in amazing condition and had only covered about 15k miles from new.

He told me during the MOT it boiled over, if he was driving it and saw a traffic jam ahead he would turn around and he would check the weather forecast before setting out.

Personally though I think it was amazing to see a car in such amazing original condition what is the point?

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
ernie100

Post by ernie100 »

I do get those owners who want to keep originality. But I prefer to drive the car in a more relaxed and frequent manner so subtle upgrades facilitated by technology improvements improves for me the driving experience and useability: keeping it cooler, holding the road and riding better, freeing up some of the power is a priority. Many people I know like the look of a classic car but are less keen on the driving experience or rather the ownership (once they get past the first drive), so subtle improvements make sthe car more usable (in my eyes)
Thanks
David

Warwickshire.....
Mark 111...being restored...(An Interceptor newbie)
E Type Series 2
1957 Land Rover Series 1
Mazda MX5 Rocketeer (V6 Jaguar 3 litre )
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

A situation I‘m confronted with on the restoration of my 541, which has nothing to do with drivability: should the underside be covered with an underbody seal or not? Without the seal the hicks are visible and can be looked after, which is what I am being advised to do (and which makes sense to me). With the seal, rust can develop and won‘t be visible. Todays seals on the other hand, some argue, are much better than what they used to be.

Is originality here vital, or is it ok to accept that today is not 1958 and do the best possible restoration under today’s circumstances? For me it‘s clear which route to take.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

I read right through the article at the top post and to me it sums it up pretty well.
Take my project, i bought a wreck of a Jensen-Healey. The engine has been changed to Ford V6
the interior Jaguar leather seats and fluffy carpets.The Bonnet had a huge bulge welded on
and it had been hand painted red over the rust and dirt.
To return this car to original would be daft,It would be much cheaper to just buy a nice one.
I wanted for my project to restore a car but start with something interesting but affordable
because if i messed it up i would not be loosing lots of money or destroying a classic.
If i had not taken this on the car would have been scrapped.
I am trying to restore this car to a smart reliable driveable car but i will keep the V6
I will probably keep the jaguar seats the bonnet bulge has already gone,
Where i can i change the fixings to metric ,the electrics will be modern
I am adding fuel injection because for the V6 its better.
Healey fitted the 907 Lotus because it was the only one available
If he could have he may have chosen something else !
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

felixkk wrote:And for every real Shelby Mustang, there are 10 lookalikes which aren‘t Shelbys? And how many of the real Shelbys are still driven, and would Shelby himself not have upgraded the cars with better brakes?
Felix unfortunately most of the Shelby's seen at the local shows are replicas/fakes as the original cars have become too valuable for most owners to drive and enjoy. Here is one exception my buddy who drives his GT350 to shows and has some fun with it. This car has won the Gold award in the Trailered Concourse class at the Shelby national show. This pic was a few years ago at their convention show held at Pocono Raceway. We drove it there and back with the top down and had a blast!
Attachments
IMG_20150822_144333_985.jpg
IMG_20150822_144333_985.jpg (176.41 KiB) Viewed 4152 times
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612

Return to “General Discussion”