On the road

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
felixkk

Re: On the road

Post by felixkk »

:D Same day a bicyclist stopped next to me at the red light and said in the nicest possible way that my car is a bit smelly, but he was smiling.
Last edited by felixkk on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

johnw wrote:FF no 11, the ex GKN Chairman's car, had a factory fibreglass bonnet with a carefully disguised but significantly wider cold air scoop going straight into the air cleaner. When I replaced the air cleaner with a dual snorkel version that effectively blocked that off and instead sucked hot air from under the bonnet, the car was noticably tame in comparison.
I spoke to Heini last year about what he would do to make the C-V8 go faster- Heini has Interceptors and a Porsche garage (old Porsches) and he used to race them. Cold air he said. Bring the air to the engine. We swapped cars last autumn, he drove my C-V8. He was not impressed, he said it was loud and uncomfortable (are old Porsches not like that also?). I drove Andi's FF (wow!) and Andi drove Heini's Interceptor.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

So out we go to the 2 kilometer straight back country road that all the local yahoos use plus speed mechanics to test vehicles. Now one has to be careful when planting your foot as a kangeroo or some other "sand bag" wombat can stroll across as you reach 120k+++ giving you a life changing experience. My sister in law's BMW X5 (d) has a 5 litre donk and in good nick. We did 0-100 in a timed trial (3 times) and best was 6.4. That's good enough for any tired old tart of 50years+. If the horses were ever there they have bolted now. I put the SP through her paces (and got told off for calling IT her) but kept running out of fuel halfway :lol: Next was Merc C320 in standard well kept form. No problem getting up and boogein and out performed the SP until 120 then I drew away. But the BMW 535i then left us listless and peed upon. A 7 series would have trashed that model though. Martin R. had one of these C320's but had to sell it because of handling issues. Too strong. :lol: kenny38
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Kangaroos running about, how very strange is that! I was standing at the bus stop before lunch when I noticed a group of youths across the street all looking in my direction. Turns out they weren't looking at me, thank god, but at a black BMW in front of me. It was a V12 M760Li xDrive. That guy was lucky that I wasn't in my C-V8, I would've taken him on too :D
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Got my CV8 back from a 4(!) day rolling road setup and tune. Had no idea how much power was sleeping inside my engine. Frightening 560 hp on the clutch, lift the throttle at 260 km/h ( 160 mph ) because of the light steering.

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Grant

Post by Grant »

Joerg wrote:Got my CV8 back from a 4(!) day rolling road setup and tune. Had no idea how much power was sleeping inside my engine. Frightening 560 hp on the clutch, lift the throttle at 260 km/h ( 160 mph ) because of the light steering.

Joerg
:shock: BrilliantImage.. Who built that engine originally for you Joerg? Image.. did you do it? :shock: .. Whats the comp ratio please?
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Listen yah rev heads. I opined STANDARD Jensens as comparison. There is currently for sale here a motor giving out 1200 HP fitted to some American vehicle.Street legal. Almost impossible to use according to my phycologist week end stays only neighbour and he says is directly related to the size of one's penis measured in day when temp. is around 20C. Kenny38 :shock:
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Still the original block, stroked to 439 cid, compression is 9.8:1 ( calculated )
The 8 stacks in conjunction with the EFI helps a lot to give top end power. Most difficult was the lower end from idle to 2000 where the Hilbirn with it‘s 8 50mm throttle blades isn’t the best choice regarding driveability.
But finally we got it right.
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Joerg wrote:Still the original block, stroked to 439 cid, compression is 9.8:1 ( calculated )
The 8 stacks in conjunction with the EFI helps a lot to give top end power. Most difficult was the lower end from idle to 2000 where the Hilbirn with it‘s 8 50mm throttle blades isn’t the best choice regarding driveability.
Crikey (is that a correct use of the term, Kenny?)! Probably best to wear diapers when driving your car. When I mention increasing the performance I had an increase of 5 or 10% in mind, not 100 :D
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi, Felixkk. Yerse, Crikey is the word used for God fearing people. Lots of Swiss overstayers and just staying one step ahead of immigration are now using that word when under stress. I find that more strange than ole man roo wandering around. They do have a nasty habit of standing in the middle of the road at night when you have full beam on. I didn't know the Swiss get stressed but they do here along with the Belgians. You takes yer refugees and we will take yours. Have booked in for a stress reducing holiday in Tasmania where sweet nothing ever happens until welfare payment day. Regards Kenny38 :D
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

felixkk wrote:
Joerg wrote:Still the original block, stroked to 439 cid, compression is 9.8:1 ( calculated )
Crikey (is that a correct use of the term, Kenny?)! Probably best to wear diapers when driving your car. When I mention increasing the performance I had an increase of 5 or 10% in mind, not 100 :D
If Herr Hüsken is doing something, he's doing it right. You should know that, Felix.
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
Julian

Post by Julian »

Until a couple of months ago I had a X5M - the one the "M people" really hate being a SUV and 4 wheel drive (oops the new M5 is 4x4 now also).

550HP twin turbo V8 and many many torques - with brakes and handling far in advance of almost any Interceptor I suspect and a rather more efficient automatic to say the least.

My Interceptor has in excess of 400HP - quick in a straight line, corners ok and with the big brakes it can stop also. The gearboxes on them all (SP's included) don't help get the power to the rear wheels.

The BMW beats it hands down, and you know which you'd rather be in an accident in if it came to that. Both can scare you :)

But the one car tho that doesn't get sold or replaced is the Interceptor !
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible
RayR

Post by RayR »

Hi Julian, having seen your car a few times it is gorgeous and obviously quite potent but as you say not a real match for top line modern machines. I have owned a few BMW's and enjoy them, but it's only the Interceptor that won't get sold - just feels so good driving it and looking at it. I have not had anything quite as quick as the X5M so had to look at it's performance - 0-60 about 4.0, 12.2 1/4 mile and 0.95 lateral g. Seriously good numbers. I use a data logger occasionally on my Interceptor for grins, the best I have got is 0-60 4.9, 13.4 1/4 mile and 1.05 lateral g (on a smooth road - add some bumps and bets are off!!), mine has a mildly modified engine, not up to 400HP but has been lightened and traction improved with the 245 tyres and composite springs. I enjoy working on the handling and it is now very flat through the corners with excellent turn in - I just need to get my Panhard Rod sorted to improve the ride - subject of a previous post.
Keep on enjoying your beautiful car.
MkIII Interceptor (140 8488)
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Let's face it. All the Jensen's in standard form were intended for the emerging freeways especially in the UK where there was no speed limit for some years. I was actually pulled over on the M1 by a couple of female cops in a Daimler Dart SP 250. They said I was lane changing in an Anglia 105E without etc..... Interestingly there was a bevy of press cars behind them. Appears this was a PR show. I was not charged but had numerous pics of me being "questioned".
Anyway you could follow/beat a mini in than standard form around 1000cc going from London to Birmingham but he would always arrive at Birmingham before you according to my sales director driving an early S1 because you had to stop for fuel. Whenever I smell sausages and chips I think of the M1 The Jensen as we all know has a very small fuel tank in comparison to it's engine size. Now there is a story my Pycho next door mate will find amusing relating to Jensen owners. He also has theories about E Type owners...says most are balding and have unresolved issues concering first love, polyester shirts and pants and polytechnic.They are, he believes,quite sad. He won't be amused for long,though, as he bought a pair of fluffy rabbits for his twin girls, placed them in a fenced hutch/run near my fence line. My dogs were totally overcome and managed to jump/tear down a layer of wire got over and ate both rabbits. Strangely they left the ears. There will be lots of boo hoos this w/e. I shall get my rather attractive wife to ask them to dinner. kenny38 :cry:
ernie100

Post by ernie100 »

kenny38 wrote:Let's face it. All the Jensen's in standard form were intended for the emerging freeways especially in the UK where there was no speed limit for some years. I was actually pulled over on the M1 by a couple of female cops in a Daimler Dart SP 250. They said I was lane changing in an Anglia 105E without etc..... Interestingly there was a bevy of press cars behind them. Appears this was a PR show. I was not charged but had numerous pics of me being "questioned".
Anyway you could follow/beat a mini in than standard form around 1000cc going from London to Birmingham but he would always arrive at Birmingham before you according to my sales director driving an early S1 because you had to stop for fuel. Whenever I smell sausages and chips I think of the M1 The Jensen as we all know has a very small fuel tank in comparison to it's engine size. Now there is a story my Pycho next door mate will find amusing relating to Jensen owners. He also has theories about E Type owners...says most are balding and have unresolved issues concering first love, polyester shirts and pants and polytechnic.They are, he believes,quite sad. He won't be amused for long,though, as he bought a pair of fluffy rabbits for his twin girls, placed them in a fenced hutch/run near my fence line. My dogs were totally overcome and managed to jump/tear down a layer of wire got over and ate both rabbits. Strangely they left the ears. There will be lots of boo hoos this w/e. I shall get my rather attractive wife to ask them to dinner. kenny38 :cry:
Just dont serve rabbit.....
Thanks
David

Warwickshire.....
Mark 111...being restored...(An Interceptor newbie)
E Type Series 2
1957 Land Rover Series 1
Mazda MX5 Rocketeer (V6 Jaguar 3 litre )

Return to “General Discussion”