Ethanol in fuel, E10 USA

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
73nrceptor

Re: Ethanol in fuel, E10 USA

Post by 73nrceptor »

Post by colin7673 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 pm
Is there a additive that can be added while filling up.. and which is best to use..
To this question, http://www.fuelsystemguide.com/what-is- ... treatment/ has a claim. I have been using the mentioned magical Lucas Oil Ethanol Fuel Treatment for a few years with nothing to complain about - it starts and runs as it should with no performance degradation that some have noticed after prolonged 10% ethanol fuel usage. Perhaps it successfully counters the negative effects of ethanol, or perhaps it vaporizes immediately after you pour it in, I can't really say. The claim in this article for the Lucas treatment is:

"Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner is one of the “fan favorites” for ethanol fuel treatments. It was designed specifically to treat ethanol fuels. It is an extremely potent blend, so make sure you do the math before you use it: one ounce treats five gallons of fuel, so one bottle will treat up to 25 gallons. The conditioner works to prevent rust, stop separation, and inhibit corrosion that ethanol fuels so often cause. But unlike some of the other brands, it doesn’t stop there, it also cleans injectors, valve seats, and combustion chambers. This particular Lucas safeguard ethanol fuel conditioner is also recommended by the marine industry, as it works well with boats. If you want a fuel stabilizer for storing your fuel then you might be better using Star Tron Enzyme Fuel treatment instead, as this is specifically formulated for storage. However if you run your engine regularly and fill up your gas tank more often then we highly recommend this product."

As most things in print are assuredly true, I assume this must be, too. All I can say is that after several years of using it, I have noticed no negative changes. Can't say the same for the anti-aging vitamins.
Tim Waller
73 Interceptor III 140/8836
kees

Post by kees »

During all my years in consumer research I have never come across an automotive oil or petrol additive that actually added something useful. Some may not do any harm, but some do. Most do precious little at all and all are very harmful to your wallet.
It is a waste of money to use these additives. They are not really supported by sound scientific research. If they would work they would already have been added by the oil companies to the fuel.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

But surely there must be some truth in what had been written or they wouldn't be allowed to sell it?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
kees

Post by kees »

Aah, how wrong you can be.
Who is going to check? It is a very expensive and elaborate business. Many labs, even some very reputable ones, set the tests up according to the manufacturers specifications or set the tests up in such a way that there is at least some result.
In the past tests have been performed on oil or fuel additives and only a hand full showed perhaps some very slight positive effects but nearly always within the accuracy band of the tests making it barely significant.
Keep your money in your pocket.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
73nrceptor

Post by 73nrceptor »

Kees, do you think fuel 'stabilizers' for theoretical protection from damage due to ethanol effects during storage have any value?
Tim Waller
kees

Post by kees »

Very unlikely.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
73nrceptor

Post by 73nrceptor »

At least it looks like there are ethanol free stations in North Carolina -
http://qualityplusnc.com/
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 169439&z=9.

I will look for others along the route to Asheville.
Tim Waller
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

73nrceptor wrote:At least it looks like there are ethanol free stations in North Carolina -
http://qualityplusnc.com/
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 169439&z=9.

I will look for others along the route to Asheville.
However, the listing does not mean that they will sell to cars who pull in for refuelling. Some gas stations apparently will only sell for boats, lawnmowers etc. or only into 5 gallon containers.

The listings may however act as a guide but, by most accounts, as long as we keep driving, we'll be fine.
Perhaps our last refuelling stop should be ethanol free, then at least on the long journey home, parked up on a ship, it shouldn't create any problems!
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
73nrceptor

Post by 73nrceptor »

These particular stations offer to cars and have a special offer for classic cars - - -
We can check for specific stations as the event gets closer.
Attachments
Classic car offer
Classic car offer
Capture.JPG (114.39 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
Tim Waller
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

73nrceptor wrote:These particular stations offer to cars and have a special offer for classic cars - - -
We can check for specific stations as the event gets closer.
Sounds good to me 8)
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

On the basis that even if ethanol does present an issue to the older vehicle, it seems that this is only if it sits unused for extended periods. This is surely somewhat unlikely to affect those lucky souls fortunate enough to be taking part in the awesome sounding US trip?
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Richie wrote:On the basis that even if ethanol does present an issue to the older vehicle, it seems that this is only if it sits unused for extended periods. This is surely somewhat unlikely to affect those lucky souls fortunate enough to be taking part in the awesome sounding US trip?
Except for the return trip the cars will be taking; several weeks on a ship...
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Ah yes, Good point. And with the price of "gas" stateside I guess it's worth bringing a full tank home... :D
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Richie wrote:Ah yes, Good point. And with the price of "gas" stateside I guess it's worth bringing a full tank home... :D
Unfortunately, the shippers insist on no more than 1/4 tank.
On my car, that means virtually empty in reality..
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905

Return to “General Discussion”