Engine heat evacuation syste

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Wilson Way

Re: Engine heat evacuation syste

Post by Wilson Way »

Are we now getting to the point of louvers in the bonnet ?
toys did include
1971 Volvo P1800E
1985 E30 M3 2.3
S2 E-Type Caterham MGB and virago 1100
now 128-4832 ..... ERY 445L now changed to 3030 MW
One of my favourite quotes “Quality isn't expensive, it's priceless.”
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Wilson Way wrote:Are we now getting to the point of louvers in the bonnet ?
No, they are only there to impress teenagers.
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Ah, but Adrian you must admit they rooooly,roooly cool, e4specially on an SP. Are they useful? probably not but driving my car and watching those lovres rattle in the wind does something to one's libido. I can't remember just what....
Don't be so po faced. Please give my highest regards to your lovely missus and tell her I said "we will always have Southend on Sea"
Kenny38 :D
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

My wife is having a great time in Bali.
I'm on the Swedish High Speed Train from Stockholm to Linkoping.
The active tilt system has failed and people are staggering along the train like drunken sailors as they make their way to the toilets or restaurant car. The carriages tilt passively in the wrong direction when the active system fails.
It's hilarious.
I'm staying glued to my seat, otherwise I would probably fall over.
I could do with a coffee though.
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Adrian, am very aware your lovely missus is in Bali. She seems to miss you. So you took the Swedish job and sold your soul and left Paradise. Ahh! the drama though. And the new things to discover. Do it now as the years do drift by and suddenly you are sitting on a veranda contemplating the setting sun and louvres. Yes they are probably useless and are decorative. Like many beautiful woman i have known in my past lives. Took my Great Dane to a dog show today. he won special prize of being Tallest Dog in show.Tried to shag around three other dogs. Is too strong now for me. Missus won a first in a raffle after judging and got a very expensive soup maker. Seemed very surreal. Won another Best In Show for SP recently at show up the coast. Don't know why I bother. It makes the E Types and Porches very annoyed. Don't very much care now and really nothing really matters at al anymore. Am eighty this year and have had what can only be described as a very interesting life. Can't believe where the years have gone. The shadows deepen as Calver R. observed on his recent visit. Always do it now! Do you want a cat? kenny38 8)
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Congratulations on winning all those awards.
Have you seen the Royal Albert Bridge, one of Brunel's masterpieces?
I crossed it on Saturday, on my way from not buying an S500 in Camborne, Cornwall, to not buying a CL500 in Chichester.
That big Westbury White Horse thing on a hill was a wonderful sight too.
Next time, I'll look at buying a car from a proper dealer at a proper dealership, offering a warranty, at a proper price, as I'm a bit tired of private sellers and a certain amateur dealer misrepresenting their cars.
No cats allowed in my building.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Adrian and Kenny ... you need to get a room together with some Cats and Goats and the odd wife thrown in with some Cups and Ornaments :D :wink:
=================
Better late than never I have uploaded to best of my ability Joe's pics and descritption.. I hope it makes sense for those who are interested >>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
On the underside of my fenders I have installed a material called peel and seal plus 1/8" foam rubber sheet to keep rock from leaving reverse chips or raised areas. My race cars would have rock marks showing on the tops of the fenders. There are no inner fender shields like most cars today. I will try to find some picks of the different panels I fabricated to make the air flow chamber. Hope I did not bore you. Just tried to give you a full idea of what was involved. The area was tight and will take a bit of work and time I feel it will be worth it. I have a few other ideas like disconnecting the hoses going to the heater core but do not forget to flow the water pump hose to the return side back to the engine. I will show you what I did on the the heater hose end
>>>
air chamber.JPG
air chamber.JPG (128.84 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>>
Could not rivet the top so I used double faced tape. The air pressure will keep the top panel in place in the rear of the shot. Opposites end was totall rivited.JPG
Could not rivet the top so I used double faced tape. The air pressure will keep the top panel in place in the rear of the shot. Opposites end was totall rivited.JPG (47.31 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
Going into place with no problem.JPG
Going into place with no problem.JPG (117.49 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>>
IMG_6403.JPG
IMG_6403.JPG (103.22 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>>
IMG_6405.JPG
IMG_6405.JPG (93.04 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
Just for personal satisfaction I will seal off gaps at edges.JPG
Just for personal satisfaction I will seal off gaps at edges.JPG (153.84 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
metal tabs 2.JPG
metal tabs 2.JPG (91.47 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
metal tabs.JPG
metal tabs.JPG (153.84 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
Mtal tabs 1.JPG
Mtal tabs 1.JPG (61.75 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
More below in next post >>>>
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Grant

Post by Grant »

>>>
Obviously it would be horizontal the cut out is for installation of the alum vent. The location is low enough to install the nuts at the top of the vent all from the inside after the rear splash shield is removed. Joe.JPG
Obviously it would be horizontal the cut out is for installation of the alum vent. The location is low enough to install the nuts at the top of the vent all from the inside after the rear splash shield is removed. Joe.JPG (77.56 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
The curved vent had the leading edge shaped to fender curvature.JPG
The curved vent had the leading edge shaped to fender curvature.JPG (75.38 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
The top panel has to have a small cut out for installation. You install the nylon nuts and washers from the top. I used SS dome top Phillips screws at the bottom.JPG
The top panel has to have a small cut out for installation. You install the nylon nuts and washers from the top. I used SS dome top Phillips screws at the bottom.JPG (87.78 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
There is a top but no bottom.JPG
There is a top but no bottom.JPG (77.56 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
This builder in line pump is what some of the NASCAR guys use to cool the brakes in Short Track racing.JPG
This builder in line pump is what some of the NASCAR guys use to cool the brakes in Short Track racing.JPG (158.92 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
This piece is dattached with rivets and a metal screw.JPG
This piece is dattached with rivets and a metal screw.JPG (67.29 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
You can see the green heater rheostatsr directly above the air mover This allows me to install the rear splash shield.JPG
You can see the green heater rheostatsr directly above the air mover This allows me to install the rear splash shield.JPG (92.49 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
>>>
:P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

What I easencially did was direct the hot air via a blowerdirectly into an enclosed box with the vent as the release area. The front and rear walls have curved faces to flow the air out the vent. With about 400 cubic feet of hot air per minute The factory placed the vents to evacuate the air under turblance and pressure. I will see now if I have made a difference RacerJoe
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hope I am wrong, Joe but after trying and failing over the years I have given up and now drive naked with all windows down so you are heroic in your efforts. Perhaps you are being like that old myth King Canute and the tide. Except your fate and. kenny38 :)
aslef

Post by aslef »

Great efforts Joe on tackling the heat build up.

You have mentioned previously the heat soak that occurs via the air box that is central in the firewall/bulkhead.

The pics shown of my car illustrate the area either side of the airbox (below the screen but above the silver sound proofing) where hot air accumulates with no where to go.

When i trim with foilcloth i will deliberately cut oversize in order to seal off these areas.

Appreciate your endeavours,Tim
Attachments
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG (143.11 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG (151.9 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
Tim

1972 Interceptor III
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

I just recently drove my car in the 110* Tucson Heat to a car show.

My cooling fans are temperature activated by a thermostat with a probe that pokes into the radiator cooling fins.

My fans had been running steadily for ~15-20 min after I had shut off the car.

I opened the hood to show off the engine bay, and within 30-60 seconds of opening the bay, the fans clicked off.

So coincidence, or release of trapped heat? More experimentation to follow.

Regards -

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

A few years ago I found that someone was producing an electric water pump that worked in conjunction with a delta switch. The idea being that when the rad water was hot both the fans and water pump worked together to dissipate the heat. Anyone tried that?
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

RAP72 wrote:A few years ago I found that someone was producing an electric water pump that worked in conjunction with a delta switch. The idea being that when the rad water was hot both the fans and water pump worked together to dissipate the heat. Anyone tried that?
VW have them fitted to a few models and I also beleive the Vauxhaul Omega had one.

If you fit one they need to be carefully controlled. The problem with them as far as I understand is speeding the water up means it picks up less heat as it spends less time in the engine also as it spends less time in the rad it looses less heat.

Without going to the expense of one of these there are some very good mechanical water pumps for our engines that flow more than the original item. A high flow thermostat is also a good idea in my view and make sure your radiator is flushed.

I replaced my radiator a couple of years ago and the previous one had only ever had distilled water in the system, it was amazing how much silt was in the old one.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

I think this is what I was looking at.

http://www.mawsolutions.com/html/electr ... pumps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idea was to pump cooled water around the block in conjunction with the fans when they were running on. If it is not a good idea the website is interesting for bits.

Return to “General Discussion”