Engine heat evacuation syste

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Grant

Re: Engine heat evacuation syste

Post by Grant »

Joe Schiavone wrote:My good friend Frank Schwartz has one that is putting out 47 degree air and still the heat soak is taking his toll I suggested to Frank to bypass the water hoses to the heater core as it is my belief that engine air is getting in the air system and creeping in the car. Just my theory. RacerJoe
Joe .. I use a valve 4 pipe valve that operates the from the original heater vacum control in the car, when set to Blue/Cold on the dial it sends the hot water matrix supply staight back to the block on the return pipe, and yet when the dial is set to anything else it lets the water flow to the matrix and back to the block via the return pipe :wink: , but the heat from the bay still slightly warms the heater pipes, but this could be eradicated buy insulating the heater water pipes I guess :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

The answer to driving my car lately is yes but not on long trips. I do plan a 3,000 mile trip after the summer and several6-800 mile trips during the summer. I will. E giving 2 seminars atk the m
National Cadillac meet in Washington DC. My car will be also driven to South Carolinf Hilton Head Display. My Interceptor has too many non stock modification to be competitive on original basis but I can assure you the quality aspect of the. Car stands proud in comparison with the best of them. I have owned the car since 1988 and hope that it will eventually be owned by grandson who is 16. I have put my son on the title already the car was built for Touring. I am restoring a SS Alfa and a 2002 Touring BMW presently so my time is split up. Best to all. RacerJoe
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Grant. Do you have an infrared heat detector and if yes have you ever tested you heat outlets during a heat soak situation. Also have you checked the transmission shifter area for high heat could you post that when convenient. Thanks. Joe
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Joe Schiavone wrote:Is there any interest in me posting what all was involved. I can post it or email it to you. RacerJoe
What happened to the photos?
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Yeah, c'mon Joe. At least give us a clue of what system you've employed and if it's been successful :D
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Thread followers. I am finishing up all necessary to put my car back on the road. Even working on it today Fathers Day. I mentioned I had a wheel come off which did much damage to the drivers side. One of the regulars who has much better abilities on the postings has several pics and all that I have done to try to evacuate much of the massive heat buildup at the firewall area. I am 72 and suffer from constant virtago so I am not as fast as I used to be. One thing I did was install a Didgetal Dakota computer to run one of my front fans and both the engine fans for a period of time after the engine shuts off The purpose to to cut down on the massive heat build up in the engine bay on a hot day when you shut down after a run. You will get the results good or not so good. Hopefully what I have done helps. It makes sense as many of the Manufacturers have set up there fan systems to continue to run after you shut the motor off. Best to all you Fathers. RacerJoe
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Maybe you could drive without the bonnet, sorry, the hood, in place.
That way the heat could probably find its own way out, to go wherever it wants, without being held prisoner, and the engine and its accessories would be exposed for all the world to admire.
And you would be saving weight too!
:)
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Steve. Regarding engine bay heat. It is my belief that the outside air vent system in a lot of cars is behind the fire wall thus not allowing engine air to enter the cabin. I believe because the air vent being in the engine compartment allowed the e xcessive heat to enter the cabin air system. I believe the factory failed in sealing off completely the heat buildup and may have installed the Louvers in hope of solving the problem. Then A/C then time ran out and the doors closed leaving US to solv the problem. Just my theory RacerJoe
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Re engine heat Pics and changes. Grant has all my notes pics and a discriptions of what I have installed all out of sight less Verry keen peaking. He has a lot to post so give him time as he has a life also and I do not know if all I sent him went through. Give it time. RacerJoe
Grant

Post by Grant »

Chaps... sorry for the delay in posting Joe's Pics... my lap top had a big puff of smoke appearing from the back and then followed by springs and clunking noises, this happened the day before my birthday last week, I now have a new laptop and am still setting it all up... I have Joe's pics and will post them next eek when I return to the UK peeps :P :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Seems like your shoulda installed a heat evacuation system into your old PC Grant...
Grant

Post by Grant »

Richie wrote:Seems like your shoulda installed a heat evacuation system into your old PC Grant...
:lol: :lol: I did hence the smoke coming out really well Richie :P ... It was 210yrs old and also had it's own sprinkler system :wink: Now finished though :D
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

The post about removing the bonnet gives me an alternative idea to removing excessive heat soar. If you were to adapt the locking mechanism to engage say 2-3"s early may let enough excessive heat buildup not to make the heat soak a real problem. The hood would be latched and not vibrate and cause paint damage. Just a thought. kI may try it also. A fast easy exercise. RacerJoe
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Pointless.jpg
Pointless.jpg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

I can testify that the low pressure zone over the hood will cause the hood to lift up about 6" at about 60-70 mph.

This same low pressure zone would naturally suck heated air out of the engine bay if the hood was held slightly open.

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible

Return to “General Discussion”