Interceptor Convertible

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
pedrow1

Interceptor Convertible

Post by pedrow1 »

Hi, I am new to the Jensen forum (and Jensen scene) and wanted to seek other members advice. I have been looking for some time for an Interceptor Convertible in RHD but to no avail. I have seen a number of LHD cars advertised but no RHD. Am I wasting my time, do they ever come up for sale or is a coupe the best route to ownership?
Jensen Interceptor Convertible
Grant

Re: Interceptor Convertible

Post by Grant »

pedrow1 wrote:Hi, I am new to the Jensen forum (and Jensen scene) and wanted to seek other members advice. I have been looking for some time for an Interceptor Convertible in RHD but to no avail. I have seen a number of LHD cars advertised but no RHD. Am I wasting my time, do they ever come up for sale or is a coupe the best route to ownership?
Hi Pedrow ... yes sure they made them in RHD ... we have one .. they are beautiful, but can be fairly pricey these days, a stunning one sold recently for £70K... her is our one >>>
Convert Pic0001.jpg
Convert Pic0001.jpg (238.63 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
Keep looking Pedrow :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
pedrow1

Post by pedrow1 »

She looks spectacular. Lucky you!
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

As Grant says Pedrow Interceptor Convertible have got very expensive. Andy Brooks at Appleyards has his finger on the pulse when it comes to the marketplace, he'd advise you how much you'd need to spend for a roadworthy example and often hears about cars becoming available. Welcome to the club.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

They do occasionally come up for sale, so as mentioned above, why not contact some of the dealers such as Appleyard Parts and Service, Cropredy Bridge etc. and also keep a close eye open on here and in the Jensen Owners' Club magazine.

If you haven't yet joined the JOC, it is worthwhile as quite often, owners prefer to sell their cars "within the club".

A concours one sold last year if I remember correctly, so they do appear from time to time :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
pedrow1

Post by pedrow1 »

Yes, thanks I have been in touch with Andy at Appleyards who was very knowledgeable and helpful
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

pedrow1 wrote:Yes, thanks I have been in touch with Andy at Appleyards who was very knowledgeable and helpful

Pedrrow when i was at the Rejen open day i was chatting with jason and they had a RHD ragtop for sale but had someone on it i think he said its certainly worth a call to Jason or paul as it may not be gone or they may know to one for sale..
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
pedrow1

Post by pedrow1 »

Thanks Cannonball, i will speak to Rejen, I have been talking to Jason and Paul a bit and they have been great.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Peter, just to point out that when you say:
is a coupe the best route to ownership
- that has a different meaning from the one I think you mean! An Interceptor Coupe was a specific, very rare, model which was basically a hardtop convertible. (Plus a Morris Marina 'Coupe' badge...). The looks were 'Marmite' and they are even harder to buy than a convertible.

"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
interjen

Post by interjen »

Hello Pedrow1 and welcome to the world of Jensens, as pointed out, the "coupe" is about the rarest of them all followed by the Convertible, we are fortunate enough to have both so they do come up for sale but very infrequently. What about a nice saloon to whet your appetite while you await the perfect Jensen for you?
Good luck
Simon.
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
1922 Aveling and Porter Steam Roller (Sally)
GPZ900R
pedrow1

Post by pedrow1 »

yes, I am undecided on whether i like the coupes (I think I prefer the saloon), however before I found out they were even scarcer than the convertibles, I wondered whether a coupe could be retro fitted as a convertible as I understand the coupes started life as convertible shells. Due to their limited numbers, probably not feasible although at the Rejen open day they did have a coupe available for restoration.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

You could, but it would be unlikely to be financially worthwhile, especially as it would not be classed as "original".
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Shame that you could not adapt to a lhd convertible as i have 2 for sale,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Frontrow

Post by Frontrow »

Pedrow, better take your cheque book to the Goodwood festival of speed Bonhams auction.
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23593/lot/215/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great history and looks a cracker. Price seems reasonable too.
Grant

Post by Grant »

pedrow1 wrote:yes, I am undecided on whether i like the coupes (I think I prefer the saloon), however before I found out they were even scarcer than the convertibles, I wondered whether a coupe could be retro fitted as a convertible as I understand the coupes started life as convertible shells. Due to their limited numbers, probably not feasible although at the Rejen open day they did have a coupe available for restoration.
Hi again Pedro, you cannot really make a coupe into a convertible as you cannot get the Galss and chrome Frames for the rears, well unless you have a donor convertible car that is, also then you would need the hood frame, again you would need a donor car, as Stephen says trying to coupe is even harder and prob more expnesive, but I di think JAson at rejen had a coupe but it needed restoring ... dig deep and go to the auction to chase the convertible mentioned above, ... the cheapest Jensen you buy will normally be the dearest in the end!! :cry: :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage

Return to “General Discussion”