Plasti-Dip Paint

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Richie
V8 Lover

Plasti-Dip Paint

Post by Richie »

Has anyone any experience of Plasti-Dip paint?

If its any good, I'm thinking of re-doing the car's vinyl roof with it. the roof is currently painted gloss black and consequently looks too glossy for a vinyl roof.

I'm therefore thinking of going for this - satin black plasti-dip...

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/plasti-di ... -400ml.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its meant to be very good on wheels though apparently, entire cars can be painted with it - if you don't like it, it peels off!

taximan

Re: Plasti-Dip Paint

Post by taximan »

Option?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262347192030? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

thanks Shaun - but I'll pass on that one. The roof itself is in good nick - its just too shiny and gets sticky in the sun.

I figure the plasti stuff might be worth a go - unlike paint, if I mess it up, I can peel it off and start again, or peel it off and leave it as it is, having lost the cost of a few cans of paint and an afternoon of my time.

But, if its a load of rubbish, I'll give it a miss.

a thought occurs that such a product might hide the texture of the vinyl roof...

if anyone has any top tips or knowledge of this weird paint, please do share...
taximan

Post by taximan »

White spirit and a nail brush? take it off warming with a hair dryer, then use proper conditioner and silicone treatment. Did my Viscount one before it went into body shop to stop dust sticking to it. It's 47 years old and came up close to new look.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Thanks again Shaun - the position in my case is complicated because the roof was originally a beige colour and the car originally metallic quartz, a combination that would probably have looked rather good.

The car is now tangerine and a beige roof does not match at all - whereas black and tangerine looks great!

I'm therefore keen to maintain the black roof - perhaps I simply need to paint satin black paint over the gloss that's currently there...??
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

see - its too shiny - this was taken a coupe of weeks ago when I had to re-submit pics for insurance valuation...
Attachments
upload_-2.jpg
upload_-2.jpg (454.87 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
taximan

Post by taximan »

So it's re coloured with vinyl paint/dye. can you re dye with satin black VHT stuff ? saying that the present covering may be the same stuff!
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

no - it hasn't been dyed - its been painted with gloss black car paint - the same stuff you might paint a bonnet or a wing with...
taximan

Post by taximan »

Cellulose thinners on a rag to remove?
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

^^^^ As Shaun has said..careful small bit-by-bit removal of the paint will work (careful not to rub too hard or over apply the thinners or it will melt/damage the vinyl).

Then...get some decent quality Vinyl Satin or Matt black paint and re-coat it. Personally I would avoid the spray cans as they can leave a dry line as you coat, especially with matt or satin finishes.You will get a much better uniform finish with a decent air compressor and gun.
Andrew P
Perth, Western Australia.
Interceptor Mk3 #1284312
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Cheers guys - much appreciated - the more I've thought about and researched the plasti dip stuff, the more unsuitable for this particular job I think it is.

Could be very good on the wheels though...
garyc

Post by garyc »

Hello Richie
Speak to woolies or furniture clinic they have or will know best way and probably have a product to do this but would agree with above comments remove with maybe thinners or a solution made for that by the above companies I'm sure they do a product to re colour vinyl as well.
When applying any colour to that sort of surface I would apply with a sponge not a brush or a can
Gary
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

good tip Gary - I like that idea :)
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

You need to determine what type of material the color black is. You may be able to apply a matting clear over the Black first determine the type of material Black is. Racer Joe
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

It's hard to tell from the picture but the top is supposed to has some sheen to it and from what I see it looks pretty close to correct. Years ago we used to recolor/restore the vinyl tops very easily with a can of sponge on paint that worked well. I don't think it is available anymore. Remember basically every car here in The States had a vinyl top in the '70's! Check with your local restoration supply places to see if it is still out there! :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612

Return to “General Discussion”