Norman Paskin

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
AlanBray

Norman Paskin

Post by AlanBray »

It is with great sadness that I share the news that Dr Norman Paskin (NormanP) passed away suddenly on Sunday at his home in Oxford.

Norman wasn't just my customer but a dear friend. It's tragic that his untimely passing comes just as we are close to completing his CV8 restoration to his exacting requirements and just as he had acquired a 541. Norman was a real Jensen enthusiast and passionate about about the mark. His thirst for knowledge, his interest in Jensen history and in particularly CV8 & 541 was extra ordinary. Just last week I spent a day with him visiting other 541 owners to refine his own plans for his latest acquisition.

Decent, honourable, warm, intelligent, witty, these are all adjectives that I could use to describe Norman but somehow they still don’t do justice to the man. I consider it my privilege to have known him.

I know he was an active contributor to the forum and had many friends here. He will be missed.
Alan
Kestrel Classic Cars
Interceptor MkII - 123/4194
Interceptor MkIII - 128/4260
Keith

Re: Norman Paskin

Post by Keith »

I don't know what to say Alan.

How unexpected.

Norman and I became friendly when he first joined the forum and was looking for his ideal C-V8. I invited him to one of our "Classic Virgins" days at work (in conjunction the then Heritage Centre, now British Motor Museum), and Norman was very enthusiastic. Even in these early days he had amassed a great deal of knowledge about "what to look for" when considering a C-V8.

Once he had bought "his" C-V8 he agonised over who to send it to for its refurbishment and restoration. His research was thorough and he made his decision. And as we know, it didn't finish there, he really had got the Jensen bug!

What sad news, but thank you Alan for bringing it to our attention.

Regards,

Keith
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
shaun

Post by shaun »

This is a very great shock.

The last time I saw Norman, we were talking about when his car was going to come out and be seen. Very soon he said. And of course the Italian 541.

I don't quite know what to add.

Condolences to all.

Shaun
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Very sorry to hear this.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I am totally shocked to hear this news.
We both attended Churchill Car show two years ago, plus was present when the Scandinavian's visited at my home - so Norman came to my house a couple of times.
I just can't believe it.
Please pass our condolences to his family/friends.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Grant

Post by Grant »

How terrible and shocking, I didnt even know the man but have read his post's.. recently as well and I feel so shocked that things like this happen so suddenly and now NormanP will no longer been on here ... you never know what is around the corner :shock:
It's the poor people like his family that suffer for evermore.... if he was like me and most of us on here there is so much stuff that us avid collectors also leave behind for other's to sort through and try to work out what to do with it all ....
My condolences to his poor sad family :(
Grant.
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

paskin.jpg
paskin.jpg (9.32 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Norman and I had been communicating a lot this year about his new toy - the silver and red Italian restored 541R he has just imported. I had never met him until I went to the Excel show in February, and he introduced himself for the first time. Sadly, that will now also be the last time and I will never get the chance to properly know him. I do know that he was looking forward to his first ride in the 541R (I was able to allay his fears that 541s have a harsh ride), and I hope he achieved this. He was full of so many plans for the future.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Very sad news. I last heard from Norman only 2 weeks ago. He was a keen enthusiast and looking forward to being able to show his cars this summer. Condolences to his family
AlanBray

Post by AlanBray »

Sadly Norman didn't get to drive his 541, which only adds to the tragedy.

Norman being Norman he wanted it just so before using it, so was waiting for us to get it up to scratch.
Alan
Kestrel Classic Cars
Interceptor MkII - 123/4194
Interceptor MkIII - 128/4260
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

Very sad news indeed. I felt I knew Norman long before I first met him as he kept me up to date with his search for a car then on his acquisition of 2393 and his subsequent realisation that it's condition wasn't as good as it first appeared to be, not that Norman was put off by that, he just saw it as an opportunity to create the perfect C-V8. I did my best to help Norman with info for his restoration but he soon knew more than me! Norman was on fine form when I met him at the London Classic Car Show and looking forward to showing 2393 off in all it's glory, such a shame that he will never be able to do that.

Regards

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

I'm shocked. We have only meet once but had quiet some communication about CV8 and I was very much looking forward to see him and his extraordinary car.

We have again lost an enthusiastic Jensen owner and what a tragedy that he wasn't able to drive them.

I'm feeling with his family and friends.

RIP Norman

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I am also saddened by this news, I had been looking forward to seeing him and his car having corresponded from time to time since he got it.
I first met Norman at the Classic Virgins day mentioned earlier by Keith when he was right at the beginning of his journey with Jensens and after introducing himself as I got out of my Interceptor his words to me were "Technically, I'm not a Virgin now". To explain this comment, the Classic Virgins day was intended for people who were thinking of buying a classic car. Norman had in fact bought his C-V8 just a few days earlier so was no longer thinking about owning a classic. He also got his wish that day which was to have a run out in a big engined Jensen and as my Interceptor was the only Jensen there on the day an Interceptor it had to be. I made sure he saw what one could do when pushed (just a bit). We had a bit of fun on the drive.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

At the end of my magazine report on the NEC show last year I appealed to anyone in the club who would like to either show their car at future NEC shows or work on the stand for the four days, representing the club and engaging with the public. Norman replied to me saying that he would very much like to do both, display his CV8 and talk to the public about the marque. I was very much looking forward to that. How very sad that it will never happen. He is a loss not just to his family but to the JOC.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.

Return to “General Discussion”