Interceptor VIN /Chassis Number Plate

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Philip Lochner

Re:

Post by Philip Lochner »

thomaslk wrote:... a pic is worth a hundred words:
rgds
Thomas

Thanks for this. Having to sort paperwork on my new 72 and this helped a lot.
Best regards
Philip
Mk3 7.2 #128/8120 Jan 73 http://tinyurl.com/hsjucm5
Mk3 7.2 #2240.9677 May '74 modified:
Fuel injected: http://tinyurl.com/qyrx93f
GM 4L60e 4-sp transmission: http://tinyurl.com/qxlwk95
Julian

Re: Interceptor VIN /Chassis Number Plate

Post by Julian »

Gents search the forum or buy Calvers book re anti roll bars and all will be revealed. There was quite some discussion not long ago. The later cars are diff. The earlier cars are diff .... The ones in the middle diff ....
On my later car I miss out on the ID stamping on the cross member. Lucky we are slack about some of that stuff in the South Pacific.
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible
Stig

Post by Stig »

My Interceptor III - J Left Hand Drive has the VIN number;
- on the front cross member, welded tag plate
- on the left hand A pillar, riveted tag plate
- on the left hand B pillar, riveted tag/data plate
- AND stamped in the floor/transmission tunnel plate behind the passenger seat, starting approx. 10 cm from the front of the rear seat.
To get at the later you will obviously have to cut the floor mat at this point & remove the felt below it, but perhaps it can be spotted from the underside of the car.
Stig Jensen
JOC 9768

-----------
'20 Audi A4 2,0 T Quattro
'89 Porsche 964 C4
'98 RR 4,6 HSE, modified for offroad use
'73 Int III J, near n & b job completed 2013
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

Another gotcha in the great state of California is that their computer system cant handle the short all number format of the Jensen VIN. They required me to send in a notarized statement that 22109272 is my VIN number (on 9272)... right after the software "update"...
BKB
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
scjensen

Post by scjensen »

Vin # also shows on the pilar just behind the windshield on drivers side of both my 75 and 76 convertibles. Just got a VIN verification from a service in Northern California yesterday. Look through the windshield and you will see it.
1975 Interceptor Convertible
1976 Interceptor Convertible
Julian

Post by Julian »

Hi looking thru the wind shield, in to the car on either side I can only see the inside of the glass rubber and the leather covered trim panel that runs up each A pillar. No numbers or for that matter no metal for it to be stamped on.
Have I understood your directions correctly? Thanks. J
Richard Calver

Post by Richard Calver »

>Vin # also shows on the pilar just behind the windshield on drivers side of both my 75 and 76 convertibles.

Only on a LHD. A US requirement.
JOC member 3551
Canberra, Oz
4¼ Litre H4/9103
http://www.richardcalver.com
tfmuch@bigpond.com
Julian

Post by Julian »

Thanks Richard.
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Your number is stamped on both of your doors approx behind the door handles when and where you look with the door panels off. Also if you remove your glove box retaining chrome retaining strap and let the glove box drop it will be in marker visible also in marker on the inside of the door panels. My phone number in N C is 336-312-8812. Call me
tvr1955

Post by tvr1955 »

Hi there,

In principle there is another number behind the left chair on the main chassis tube, just before the rear seat.
You will have to remove the carpet and under carpet.

Good luck.

Ton
thomaslk

Post by thomaslk »

Joe Schiavone wrote:Your number is stamped on both of your doors approx behind the door handles when and where you look with the door panels off. Also if you remove your glove box retaining chrome retaining strap and let the glove box drop it will be in marker visible also in marker on the inside of the door panels. My phone number in N C is 336-312-8812. Call me
Hi Joe,
you are right - there we can usually find a stamped number to identify the car but i doubt that any authority would consider this as a "real" VIN.
It is a more or less informal marking. My car has also a stamped bootlid (just the last 4 digits of the VIN)

rgds
Thomas
Int Mk III
2211-1490
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Vin number. As a restorer of hand made assembled cars since early 70's. The fact that the numbers appear in several places through out the car why would the state take a replaceable plate with number stamped like a lot of restored cars may have. A stamp on the inside of the doors deck lid and all over the back side should more than prove what the car number actually is. ASK The state if the answer is no. Then get a set of metal number stamps and put your car on a lift and correct the problem what Jensen failed to do. Alfa also stamps their hanging parts as well do many hand assembled cars. Any GOOD Restorer should be glad to give you a written statement to this fact. Joe Schiavone
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

AH1951 wrote:It might also explain why some set-ups are stiffer than others, as the effective arm lengths will be different.
Imagine, if the bar could be placed 3 feet in front of the present position, it would have almost no effect at all.
I have A 74 Drophead and the Sway bar is exactly the same at in the photo. My name is Joe Schiavone and Addco made one for me there Re 3-4 versions. The mounting ends are a bit too large and need to be down sized material wise to eliminate interference. Use your old one for end size. Also you will need to shim the hole for the mounting bolts in the links. Jensen made the link bolts tapered as well as the sway bar holes. Addco drills a mounting hole for a conventional same size threaded fastener not tapered. Joe Schiavone
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Another place easiest to find is on the bonnet support tab that the bonnet spring support arms attach to. That is if you have the original hood is on the car. At least on my 74 Drophead. Just for info I may have found one of the heat soak areas of entry. I will try to post it AMF
tvr1955

Post by tvr1955 »

Hi Joel,

As far as we know the chassis number is on the front chassis suspension bar and the second number is under the carpet on the RH side chassis member just
in front of the rear seat. remove carpet and under carpet and brush and look for the original chassis number. The in the USA submitted VIN number was based on the chassis number.

Kind regards,

Ton van Rijn
Jensen enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion”