Dave Newby

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
soggykitkat

Dave Newby

Post by soggykitkat »

It is with deep sadness that I inform you all that the current Healey Registrar and former Chairman Dave Newby passed away today after a short illness. Our thoughts are with Helen, Mark and Caroline and their extended family.

Funeral information to follow.

RIP David.

Paul Lewis
Chairman
Jensen Owners' Club
Interceptor Mk I
115/3484 No name yet

Interceptor MkIII
128/4813 'The ASBO' (it's Losty's really)
PaulMcElhinney

Re: Dave Newby

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

That is terribly sad news. I enjoyed David's company. He was an interesting man, very good company but most of all he was a thoroughly nice guy. The world will be a lesser place without him in it.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Really sad news.

One of the first JOC members I met , was impressed by his knowledge and enthusiasm for the marque.

Remember him 'persuading' me to be SW area rep , couldn't say no after 5 minutes on the phone.

A true gent.

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Sarah and my thoughts are with Helen and the family. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was enjoying David's company at the International.

David was a great ambassador for the club and will be sorely missed, especially at the NEC this year.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Our thoughts are also with Helen and family. This is really sad news he will be greatly missed.

Dave & Jan
Mark Maniatt
Lord of the Pies
Lord of the Pies

Post by Mark Maniatt »

Denise and I are extremely saddened to hear of David's passing today.We first new there was a problem when he wasn't well enough to make Newby Hall show in July,the first time I can recall he and Helen had missed in all the years we have attended.Shortly after,I received a communication letting me know there would be no Newby presence at this years Yorks Area Autumn Weekend,again,a first.
I spoke to Dave just three weeks ago and he was his usual positive self,looking forward to getting back into the swing of things after some hospital treatment.Todays news therefore was a terrible shock.

David was the first JOC member I ever met and I well recall being at my first Cropredy Bridge event when this tall thin chap came bounding over,hand stretched out to shake mine with a big hearty welcome.From that day we have been firm friends and Yorkshire region cohorts.Earlier this year I spent a week rendering the inside of David's workshop at his and Helen's new home in North Yorkshire.He was great company as always and I will long remember his warm,wise words.

I finish with a scene familiar to many JOC members who at various times have fallen foul of the curse of the broken down Jenny.When you happened upon this scene,it may be pouring with rain,never the less,the legs sticking out from under the stricken car would invariably belong to one David Newby.A kind and decent bloke who will be forever remembered by all those who were lucky enough to have known him.
Our thoughts and deepest sympathies go to Helen,Caroline and Mark,not only from us two but from all his many friends in the JOC Yorkshire Area.

RIP

Mark & Denise
(Pie Man & The Boss)
Jazz and Jensens.There is a God
JOC Yorkshire Area Rep
taximan

Post by taximan »

I only met Dave once, but as has been said, his enthusiasm knew no bounds, my sympathies to his family and all others within the club who knew, loved and respected this man.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
KevinB

Post by KevinB »

Quite a shock when I heard the news, Anne's initial thoughts were to Helen and their family. David was just about the first to welcome me onto the committee and helped me out with advice over the 'phone when I first bought my Healey. A real nice guy.

David and Helen were at our house earlier in the year and whilst doing a three point turn in the drive he touched this Healey against a low, unseen tree stump, putting a small ding in the rear bumper. Sounds daft I know, but when I look over at that tree stump it will always remind me of David.

Kevin & Anne
Kevin B
Healey Mk1 1140/10091

Scotland Rep.
archie
The Mild Child

Post by archie »

Very sad news mine and Christine's thoughts go out to Helen and the family.
RIP David you were a true gent
Mark Wright

Post by Mark Wright »

So sad to hear this news, both mine and Maria's thoughts are with Helen & family.
Jensen Healey Mk11 1973 (Red)
Morris Minor 1968
Triumph 1500TC 1974
AlistairT

Post by AlistairT »

Very sad news, David always had time for everyone and asked about my late mother every time we met. Still feel's like yesterday when I got a call from him wanting my 541R on the stand at the NEC last year, you want my car I replied?, it's not the best 541 out there David, No problem he said, It's the colour scheme that looks great and it will look fantastic on the stand. He was a Jensen man through and through and a ambassador for the club. After very long day's on the stand it was great to relax back at the hotel with a meal and a pint and David would tell us some great stories and joke's. We laughed like naughty school kid's..My condolences to Helen and family..R.I.P mate.....
Alistair Thomas
Lancashire
541R
stevej
V8 Lover

Post by stevej »

Very sad news indeed
David,Helen,Mark and Caroline were on our table at the first International Tracy and I attended
We were made most welcome
Many happy memories with a true enthusiast and his family
RIP David

Steve and Tracy
Interceptor 1 115/3111
Interceptor 3 136/8617
Convertible 2340/9501
FF Mk 2 127/247
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

My only feeling is sadness.

I met David the first time when he and Helen arrived at our Saarburg event in 2007. As then chairman of the club he was very supportive, funny and witty and always had his big big smile. Talking Jensen with him since has always been a fantastic source of information, stories and support in every way.

What a big loss.

Jens
Last edited by Jens on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
Alan Smith1

Post by Alan Smith1 »

Jean and I would like to add our condolences to Helen, Mark and Caroline at this sad time
Cheerio for now, Alan.
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Joking with David at this year's International, and now he's gone.

Jane and I were shocked and saddened to read of David's untimely death and would like to pass on our own heartfelt condolences to Helen and family at this distressing time for them.

Lost but not forgotten.

Stuart

Return to “General Discussion”