Clutch slip...

Mopar Big Block Talk
cannonball

Re: Clutch slip...

Post by cannonball »

bkbridges wrote:Cannonball,
Ouch! At least you didn't have to mop down the track! My Jensen's TCI converter took a hike on me and my wife in the middle of nowhere ( 49 hwy on the way up to Sacramento). I knew something was up due to the extreme heat coming from the trans tunnel, but everything seemed to be working OK and we had just cruised through the Mojave desert...Until I stopped and tried to get moving again. Classic fail... I called John Cope (the guy that built my transmission) and he determined that it was my fault as I had changed the fluid before the trip and put +4 in it (I race a 98 Dakota R/T) instead of generic fluid. I was somewhat disbelieving, but when I towed the b*gger back home I pulled the trans and sent it to him for a going over. He rebuilt the pump and cleaned it all up and sold me another converter, labor was free of charge (nice guy). I now monitor the fluid temp (never goes over 160F) and run the 9.5" converter that he recommended/sold me even though I thought it might be too extreme... Its not. I run generic Dexron now and it works great. I picked up a second at the track with the 9.5" unit over the old TCI converter. Im not talented enough to build my own transmissions (popped a couple of those before I decided to pay the man). My 72 Barracuda doesn't make enough HP/tq to damage much of anything trans wise, so Im safe there. The Dakota takes ouot lock up clutch's once in a while if Im hard on it, which I am. Id sure like to see your Challenger make a pass or two. They finally re-opened the local drag strip in So Cal, so weve been building a twin turbo 540cuin 72 Dart for the occasion. We havnt taken it to the track yet as it keeps destroying the rear suspension/diff . We swapped out the broken 8.75 ((busted the axles and hurt the spool) and put in a Strange 60 with a 4 link but still need to get the finishing touches on it before we take it out. Its a Lenco trans so Im not too worried about that... Its my first twin turbo EFI install/tune, so its tuned a bit rich to avoid popping things... Crud, I just hi jacked the thread... Never mind. Image
BKB
Brilliant that will be a ride :) . And no i did not leak any fluid, from the violent bang and i even think the whole car left the ground i fully expected to see fluid and trans parts all over the staging area,,,,,,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

Cannonball,
Oh yeah... We are going to test out the new four link tomorrow afternoon. Wonder how the twin turbo would fit in a Jensen? Lots of room up front compared to the Dart.
BKB
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Okay, so, I did the kerb test. With 1500 rpm on the tacho, she plopped up the kerb no problem. I called in to see my folks who live exactly a mile away so I could properly check the oil level. I checked several times and on each occasion, it seemed low with the oil just above the 'add one pint' line. I drove home and with the now hotter car idling in the garage, checked again several times. On each occasion now, the fluid was bang on the full mark...
But the car felt fine tbh and I'm wondering if it's all in my over active imagination. I may be comparing unfairly with the not much more modern golf auto I drive daily (mk1 clipper reluctantly for sale if anyone is interested). Or am I just trying to reassure myself?!?!
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Richie wrote:Okay, so, I did the kerb test. With 1500 rpm on the tacho, she plopped up the kerb no problem. I called in to see my folks who live exactly a mile away so I could properly check the oil level. I checked several times and on each occasion, it seemed low with the oil just above the 'add one pint' line. I drove home and with the now hotter car idling in the garage, checked again several times. On each occasion now, the fluid was bang on the full mark...
But the car felt fine tbh and I'm wondering if it's all in my over active imagination. I may be comparing unfairly with the not much more modern golf auto I drive daily (mk1 clipper reluctantly for sale if anyone is interested). Or am I just trying to reassure myself?!?!

No

i bet its fine and yes the fluid should be just under the full mark hot ideal is in the middle of the two because if you really do get the thing real hot it will expand to above full,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Thanks Duncan. Much appreciated. I think I'll leave well alone...

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”