Hand Book

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
petermarchant

Hand Book

Post by petermarchant »

Hi Guys,

I have only just received my Jensen from the shipping company all the way from Huston USA which has taken ages, the only positive is they have Taxed MOT and registered the vehicle and upon receipt the car is more than i expected and in quite good order i am awaiting the receipt of the registration doc in the post,
The reason for the post is that in the glove box their was two hand books and one is not related to the car and reads Chassis Number 2210-9583 Engine Number 12602 Date reg 6-12-75 and i wondered if anyone has any info on the details of this car????
Peter,
Keith

Re: Hand Book

Post by Keith »

Wow! What a Christmas present, Peter!
The "other" handbook is a silver car with black roof (according to Rik's Relentless Rekords). Any US forum members know if it still survives?

Quick question though, how can your new car be taxed and MOT'd straight off the boat? If its been registered to you, they couldn't tax it for you (for example), and with US-spec turn-signals, etc, would all that not to be modified to UK (or European?) specification before an MOT could be issued?

Interesting info for someone contemplating importing a US car to the UK.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
petermarchant

Post by petermarchant »

Keith,

They have carried out full UK Homologation modifications and a few other items to pass the U.K Mot as mentioned i am awaiting the reg doc and prior to receipt i would think they Tax the vehicle not 100% sure but so far i am quite happy with there service,
Keith

Post by Keith »

Sounds like a terrific service Peter. And it's all worked out very well! We are all looking forward to pics of the new acquisition!

I'm sure your experience will be a great reassurance to others contemplating an import.

As far as I know, only you can tax the car, so that will be something to do as soon as you get the reg doc through. If they have taxed it, that tax will be invalid as soon as the car is registered to you.

You have to be careful with the new road tax rules, and the ANPR cameras.

(for the pedants, I refer to "road tax", as we all do, but officially it is VED, vehicle excise duty...)
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Richard Calver

INT 9583

Post by Richard Calver »

9583 was broken in 1999.
JOC member 3551
Canberra, Oz
4¼ Litre H4/9103
http://www.richardcalver.com
tfmuch@bigpond.com
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Keith wrote: As far as I know, only you can tax the car, so that will be something to do as soon as you get the reg doc through. If they have taxed it, that tax will be invalid as soon as the car is registered to you.

(for the pedants, I refer to "road tax", as we all do, but officially it is VED, vehicle excise duty...)
In the new system, dealers can tax vehicles they sell on behalf of their customers when they register the change of keeper with the DVLA just as they have always done. Apparently the DVLA systems will recognise that the newly issued tax is for the new keeper. Perhaps the importer can act in that way and register the car and tax it on behalf of the new keeper.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Grant

Re: INT 9583

Post by Grant »

Richard Calver wrote:9583 was broken in 1999.
I doubt if anyone will want the hand-book thenImage, but it is still kicking around from when Peter found it in his glove-box in 2014 >>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jensen-inter ... Sw8NxdRVxz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Chris_R wrote:
Keith wrote: As far as I know, only you can tax the car, so that will be something to do as soon as you get the reg doc through. If they have taxed it, that tax will be invalid as soon as the car is registered to you.

In the new system, dealers can tax vehicles they sell on behalf of their customers when they register the change of keeper with the DVLA just as they have always done. Apparently the DVLA systems will recognise that the newly issued tax is for the new keeper. Perhaps the importer can act in that way and register the car and tax it on behalf of the new keeper.
I doubt that's true for all vehicles Chris, having just brought a 69 plate van for work three weeks ago, I paid the dealer to tax the van and logbook to be sent to me. This dealer has been in the trade many years and knows how to do these things correctly, unfortunately the DVLA sent the logbook back to the dealer with a covering later informing him that now any new vehicle is registered to the dealer and taxed by him until sold. In my case it a week after delivery and a VED test, so now even though I have a brand new van with delivery mileage officially I'm the vans second owner. Even though the logbook states it was at dealers for a week.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion”