Diamond pattern hood insulation.

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Denis

Diamond pattern hood insulation.

Post by Denis »

Dear friends,

let me ask you - finally some works started on 115/2714 Jensen, particularly with the bonnet sheet which is now partially detouched from the frame.

I see that there is the traces of the so called diamond (polygonally stretched) pattern underneeth the bonnet. Is this original hood insulation for Interceptor Mk1? Which material was used for this?

Did somebody recreated this material?

Best regards,

Denis
Love classic cars!
Per

Re: Diamond pattern hood insulation.

Post by Per »

Might be more suppliers but at least you have one here
http://www.classicandexotic.com/store/p ... erial.aspx
Per
Not only English cars these days, an Italian is part of the stable again 8)
Denis

Post by Denis »

Many thanks! Howewer, traces from stitches runs under 45, not 90 degrees, as here.
Love classic cars!
Per

Post by Per »

They write elsewhere that other patterns are available, but not shown online so I just posted that link. Send them an enquiry and post back.
Per
JOHNBLACKWATSON

Post by JOHNBLACKWATSON »

Hi,

Following a conversation with Dave Pearce about under bonnet linings (and what an amazing car he has!) I decided to follow up on this subject, the available choices seems to be something reflective like aircraft firewall material or the link above. There is also a Mercedes material advertised as having a diamond pattern but it more looks like embossed squares to me (ebay item 221498188630)

Denis, did you by any chance measure the traces of the diamond pattern on your bonnet? if so then I will make contact and see if it might be within reason to get the material made up.

If I do go down this route then I'll report back with costs and pictures.
FFPL

Post by FFPL »

this is an original one on my 67/68 interceptor
JOHNBLACKWATSON

FFPL wrote:this is an original one on my 67/68 interceptor
Many thanks for this, could I be really cheeky and ask what the measurements are?
Brinny11

Post by Brinny11 »

JOHNBLACKWATSON wrote:
Many thanks for this, could I be really cheeky and ask what the measurements are?
slightly off subject but I have located some wheel nuts now john but thanks for all your help :D
mk2 interceptor 1971 6.3 needing complete rebuild!!!!1
FFPL

Post by FFPL »

JOHNBLACKWATSON wrote:
each side looks to be 2 1/8. Width is 1 7/8 and Length is 3 7/8. It might be metric but the imperial measurements seem to line up quite well. I made up a diamond of these dimensions and seems to match well. It's not exact over all the diamonds as the material has stretched a bit in different places. The vinyl has a similar consistency to a what I remember the rain coats as a kid. This is on a fiber type insulator.
JOHNBLACKWATSON

Many thanks for the measurements, I'll get some made up and see how it looks.

My suspicion is that the new material will be a bit 'plumper' than the original but I have seen the effect on other marques and it should certainly be better than the currently naked bonnet!

Will post pictures in due course.
JOHNBLACKWATSON

Material is ordered.

USD 375 + postage.

As I'm a deep pocketed short armed Scot the delivery will be to friends in New York - just hope the parcel is not to big for them to bring or my other half will treat this as an excuse to go visit!
FFPL

Post by FFPL »

JOHNBLACKWATSON wrote:Material is ordered.

USD 375 + postage.

As I'm a deep pocketed short armed Scot the delivery will be to friends in New York - just hope the parcel is not to big for them to bring or my other half will treat this as an excuse to go visit!
what material are you using?
Per

Post by Per »

I have seen the exact pattern and (give a bit of leeway for ageing) the colour on various Italian exotica of the period. So could be metric italian product originally.
Per
Christian

Post by Christian »

The Insulation of 2609 looked the same. But on 2950 it was more like Hardura, a plastic mat with felt back. Does anybody know when things changed? Maybe Diamond-pattern only for Vignale-cars?
1968 Interceptor MK1 115/2950 (See full restoration-story: http://www.interceptor-mk1.de)
1967 Interceptor MK1 117/2609 R.I.P †
BMW 550iAT (lpg)
BMW 120d
JOC-Member 9838
impman

Post by impman »

Per wrote:I have seen the exact pattern and (give a bit of leeway for ageing) the colour on various Italian exotica of the period. So could be metric italian product originally.
Good point. I'd guess that the material was sewn as one set of parallel lines, turned through however many degrees, and another set of parallel lines sewn to create a diamond pattern. If this were the case, the dimension to check would be the perpendicular distance between these lines (ie shortest distance between opposing sides of each diamond) and then the angle between adjacent sides of a diamond.
Paul
FF 119/082

Return to “General Discussion”