Classic cars on the road

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Re: Classic cars on the road

Post by Barrie »

Fantastic to come across this in Cordoba!
A beautiful piece of advertising presumably dating from the 1920s.
Can anyone identify which Studebaker it is?
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

This handsome piece of machinery is presumably called "The hen-night special" as its all-lady crew spot the male stripper-gram on the hill.

Apparently it was given the simple name of "Big-Six Touring Car" (perhaps why the tiled mural shows 6 occupants, same as the number of cylinders) and comes from the surprisingly early date of 1920. I am basing this on a similar picture where it has lost 2 of its lady occupants and its wheel discs.

"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Cool!
All answers to all questions are available on the forum.
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
ascotts1

Post by ascotts1 »

WHOA!!!....that dark blue '63 Corvette at the bottom of page 209 is simply stunning, white hot in fact!
I love a good Interceptor for relaxed, comfortable, GT style driving but I think a manual '63-'67 Stingray is the next 'must have' as a fun car, luckily there's always heaps available in the States, so no busting hurry... :-)
1974 Mk III 2240/9345, 1970 FF 127/227
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

ascotts1 wrote: I love a good Interceptor for relaxed, comfortable, GT style driving but I think a manual '63-'67 Stingray is the next 'must have' as a fun car
Have you ever driven one? I was lucky enough to have a go in one a few years back and was very disapointed, yes it went well and made a great noise but the hadling and ride quality were terrible.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
ascotts1

Post by ascotts1 »

Hi Steve, yes, I had '66 427 4bbl 4-speed manual in my garage for nearly two years which I was looking after for an Indonesian car collector who also left a number of other cars in my garage at the same time ( '67 Ferrari 275GTB/4cam, '01 Ferrari 550 Spyder, '01 Lambo Countach VT, '02 Lambo Murielago, the 'Vette and a Ducatti & MV Augsta bikes just for good measure!!) as he was running out of room in his own Australian based premises at the time. In fact, I said to him at the time, "you can keep the rest of your cars ( and believe me there were many more), just leave me the Corvette in your will"... :-))))
The Vette was amazingly easy to drive, with light steering, clutch and gears, the ride was fine but as it was in 'show' condition with the original cross ply type tyres, the handling was ummmm, a little vague but I'm sure with decent rubber and tuned shocks it would have been just fine. The look of the car was incredible, you could almost hear the 'Beach Boys' playing in the background as you drove along, even though the radio wasn't actually on,lol!
I'm new to this forum and still trying to work out how to load up pics but when I have, I'll post some...
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Steve Payne wrote:
ascotts1 wrote: I love a good Interceptor for relaxed, comfortable, GT style driving but I think a manual '63-'67 Stingray is the next 'must have' as a fun car
Have you ever driven one? I was lucky enough to have a go in one a few years back and was very disapointed, yes it went well and made a great noise but the hadling and ride quality were terrible.

Steve
I'm with Steve on this one. My experience of USA 1960s cars like Rivira, Toronado, Charger was great looks but couldn't control the power under acceleration. This lead me to an out-of-body experience in my Charger which spun from a straight line at 90 MPH.
That sort of thing never happened in an Austin Cambridge!
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

What kind of Austin Cambridge would ever get to 90mph?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Errr, J for joke Chris.
My feeble attempt at irony.
The quips get better as I enter Chablis time.
ascotts1

Post by ascotts1 »

hmmmm, comparing an independently sprung Corvette with a front wheel drive Toronado and a live rear axled Charger ( no doubt jacked-up at the rear on tramp rods to boot?? ) is not quite comparing apples with apples but I'll keep that in mind next time a mate of mine with his well sorted '66 Stingray challenges me to a race in my Jensen....
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I reckon this Cambridge easily beats 90mph! With the great Jack Sears.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Stephen, I think you'll find that's an A90 Austin Westminster, not an A50 Cambridge.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Thanks Chris! :oops: :oops: Don't know what came over me. Although I am struggling a bit as BT have lost my Internet connection and phone line so I'm relying on my mobile for connection (worst excuse ever).

I can possibly reclaim some face by pointing out that officially Jack's car was described as an A105, although the differences were not visible. It has a twin-SU engine that pre-dated the identical one in the Healey 100/6, and I think overdrive. Most of the 105s were the bloated looking LWB versions, but the very first ones used the same body as the A90. I remember reading somewhere that Jack's championship winning car (which he owned personally) was sold on, crashed, abandoned to rot in a barn, and then fairly recently found and reshelled, as in the picture. There is a great period shot of the same car neck-and-neck with a Jensen 541 at Brands Hatch.
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Some more information about Jack Sear's (indeed yes, an A105) car: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_678165-Aus ... -1956.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
JOC Member 6116
Chris C

Post by Chris C »

Not a car but still a classic, in memory of Harry Ferguson.

Chris

Land Rover Series IIA

Return to “General Discussion”