Historic Tax Extended

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Martin R

Re: Historic Tax Extended

Post by Martin R »

Keith wrote:
Martin R wrote:I think I'm correct in saying that the chassis data book will only confirm the date of first registration, which you already know.

To establish the actual build date, you'll need the build file from Martin Robey Ltd.
That's not correct Martin.

The chassis data book shows 'ex-factory' and not date of first registration.
Thanks Keith,

Although the chassis data book shows the "ex-factory" date, isn't the actual production date classed as the date when the chassis number was added to the build sheet for a particular car?
I'm sure I recall someone saying that their cars build sheet showed a date earlier than the one it left the factory (obviously), which was accepted as the "build date" and therefore accepted as a 1972 car for tax exemption purposes.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Keith

Post by Keith »

Never heard of that before, Martin.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Martin R wrote:
Keith wrote:
Martin R wrote:I think I'm correct in saying that the chassis data book will only confirm the date of first registration, which you already know.

To establish the actual build date, you'll need the build file from Martin Robey Ltd.
That's not correct Martin.

The chassis data book shows 'ex-factory' and not date of first registration.
Thanks Keith,

Although the chassis data book shows the "ex-factory" date, isn't the actual production date classed as the date when the chassis number was added to the build sheet for a particular car?
I'm sure I recall someone saying that their cars build sheet showed a date earlier than the one it left the factory (obviously), which was accepted as the "build date" and therefore accepted as a 1972 car for tax exemption purposes.
The DVLA have a set of rules for deciding if a car qualifies as historic or not. The cutoff date is 31st December but the DVLA already allow that due to the Christmas shutdown (was there really one in those days?) a car registered in the first week of the new year can be regarded as being manufactured in the previous year and so will qualify as historic.
This rule of course is designed for the more mass producers where there are not detailed records available for exact build dates and where production might be measured in 100s per day. For Jensens we have the ex-factory date readily available it is different, we have a precise date when each car left the factory and so can know when it was built regardless of when it was registered.
If there is other evidence (e.g. build sheets) that the car was manufactured before 31st December but perhaps not registered for several months into the new year then that can be produced and the DVLA will accept that. That will apply to the 20 or so Healeys that most probably were made in 1973 but did not leave the factory until early in 1974 and similarly it might apply to some of the early Interceptor III Series 4 cars that left the factory in January 1974 as I described in my previous posting.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
johnt

Post by johnt »

James,
I am not sure whether you have received a reply, but 138/9101 does not appear to exist.
However 136/9101 was ex factory on 22/10/73.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
John.
1972 SP 131/4971 LRO 731 L
John Tunnicliffe
jamesall

Post by jamesall »

John,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, it was a typo on my part. I'm glad to know that it should qualify for free tax when the change comes next year. I guess the challenge will be to jump through the required hoops required to prove the date. Hopefully they'll accept the certificate from Robey's which shows the same date as you mention - the build sheet itself is apparently missing from the records but the actual date of leaving the factory seems to be well documented elsewhere.

WIth the imminent closure of the regional offices, it will be interesting to find out how one goes about changing the taxation class.

James.
MKIII 1973
JOC Number 9830
johnt

Post by johnt »

James,
I think the best thing to do is to get a letter from the JOC confirming the ex factory date, which the DVLA accepted as evidence of the date of manufacture when I applied. Alan Smith did a letter for me when he was Chairman and I am sure that he or Lewi, or one of the other club officials, will be happy to oblige.
It will indeed be interesting to see how the DVLA handles changes to the taxation class now that several regional offices are closing -it may become easier if it is all handled by post at Swansea. It might be a good idea to start the process as early as you can, as it does take some time and there is bound to be a rush of applications as April 2014 approaches.
Good luck with it,
Regards,
John.
1972 SP 131/4971 LRO 731 L
John Tunnicliffe
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

James, the clubs General Secretary, John Lane is the person to speak to.

John's phone number is in the magazine or email at gs@joc.org.uk

Zac
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
jamesall

Post by jamesall »

Thanks, I'll contact John.

I expect that it may be too soon to start the process with DVLA as my car won't fall into the historic class until April 2014. I would imagine the earliest would be March 2014. I plan to contact the DVLA soon for guidance so will report back any info.

thanks

James.
MKIII 1973
JOC Number 9830
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Martin R wrote: Although the chassis data book shows the "ex-factory" date, isn't the actual production date classed as the date when the chassis number was added to the build sheet for a particular car?
That was Brendan who has done this, I think I'm right in saying, that his car left the factory in '73 but manage to prove his 'build date' was '72 so therefore pays no road tax.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
schumijoe
BIG RED CARD & 2 YELLOWS
BIG RED CARD & 2 YELLOWS

Post by schumijoe »

You're lucky James I have to wait until May 1976 before I get tax free motoring and of course it will be 2017 before I can claim
joe
INTERCEPTOR 111 2240/1**4(the last 1976 saloon)
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

schumijoe wrote:You're lucky James I have to wait until May 1976 before I get tax free motoring and of course it will be 2017 before I can claim
joe
Only if its confirmed this will be a rolling exemption.

There is an interesting article in this months Classic Monthly on this subject.

They reckon the value of 1973 vehicles could go up by 10% because of this. Not sure if that will affect us.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

The figure I heard for 1974 MGs was 30%

Pick a number....
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Keith

Post by Keith »

It's bizarre, isn't it? One of the cheapest things you can pay for using your car and the fact you don't have to pay this small amount means that the car is worth more?

Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I had not noticed 1972 cars were worth dramatically more than 1973 cars before this declaration so it probably just a excuse to right some words to fill a page in a few magazines.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer

Return to “General Discussion”