Historic Tax Extended

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Pymmie

Historic Tax Extended

Post by Pymmie »

Did I hear in the budget that Historic Tax exemption

has been extended to 31st December 1973 ?
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
ffdave

Re: Historic Tax Extended

Post by ffdave »

This was proposed but i can't find it confirmed anywhere yet.

"As of April 1st 2014, vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1974 will be exempt from the VED (Finance Bill 2014, as set out in the 2013 Budget, 20th March 2013)."

D.
Dave Barnett
JOC member 98
Healey V8 12070
FF1 119-027
FF1 119-151
SP 138-8698
71 Davrian Mk6
69 Davrian Mk4
67 Davrian Mk 1
ffdave

Post by ffdave »

http://www.staging.honestjohn.co.uk/new ... d-to-1974/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems so from April next year, also if i'm reading it correctly it will roll on as well so all jensens will be exempt eventually!.

D.
Dave Barnett
JOC member 98
Healey V8 12070
FF1 119-027
FF1 119-151
SP 138-8698
71 Davrian Mk6
69 Davrian Mk4
67 Davrian Mk 1
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Found this.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/cla ... -1974.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Yet to get any confirmation (or even a hint from officialdom) that it will be rolling, but we're working on it. Will keep everyone updated.
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

Why?

Why is the government doing it?
After abandoning the rolling element in 1997 why are they 'giving away' tax when everyone else is being squeezed?
I fear it's all a set-up to limit the use of classic cars by some future legislation.

( I'm sorry if I appear a bit depressive tonight but I've had a hard day and the old paranoia's beginning to creep in again....... )
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Well, if it's true and, if we're not going to be stung in some other way, that's great news! Two more tank fulls of petrol per year = more driving :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Barrie wrote:Why?

After abandoning the rolling element in 1997 why are they 'giving away' tax when everyone else is being squeezed?
I fear it's all a set-up to limit the use of classic cars by some future legislation.

( I'm sorry if I appear a bit depressive tonight but I've had a hard day and the old paranoia's beginning to creep in again....... )
You are not being paranoid, I remain convinced that we are slowly yet steadily moving towards limitations on freedom of use. If that's the case, judging by what has happened in other countries, that would probably be 3000 miles a year. Which means I will just have to buy twice as many classic cars and spread my annual mileage thinner.
Then again, we could both just be paranoid.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Barrie wrote:Why?

The exemption was originally introduced for vehicles over 25 years of age by the Conservative government in 1994.
It was frozen by Gordon Brown in his first budget in 1998 hence the 31st December 1972 cut-off date.
For the last election the Conservatives did say to re-introduce it was one of their policies. Re-introduction is consistent with both previous Conservative action and with election policy. In my view it is also consistent with MOT exemption for pre-1960 vehicles. There is no indication of restrictions on use for those so I doubt at this time restrictions are planned. But vigilance will be necessary.
There is no announcement if it will be rolling forward year by year but April 2014 will be the 40 year interval for the newly exempted vehicles so perhaps that will become the new benchmark for VED exemption.
And they "gave away" a few other taxes today, if you're a beer drinker!
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

Chris_R wrote:
There is no indication of restrictions on use for those so I doubt at this time restrictions are planned.
I wish I was as nice a person as you are Chris_R.

From the vibes I get from the Continent where especially France has seen limitations on classic car use and elsewhere on the Forum one of our German contributors told us of €700 or so being required for a 'top-up' of their equivalent of the MOT, it seems that the bureaucrats have a long term plan for limitation. Maybe the politicians aren't aware of it but they are only around for a few years at a time whilst the bureaucrats are with us forever. And I think they have a long term plan!

We're quite lucky with the recent limitation on MOTs and the Road Tax concessions but I can't help but feel that there's an ulterior motive.
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

"The new cut-off date for classic vehicles will take effect from 1 April 2014, and covers all cars manufactured before 1 January 1974. Althought it's not been announced that there will be a return to the pre-1997 rolling exemption, but as this comes into effect at the 40-year point, it's a good chance that this looks to be the case.

Also in the budget, it was announced that Statutory Off-Road Notifications will no longer need to be renewed on an annual basis. It was confirmed that the Finance Bill 2013 contains this statement: 'the Government will put off-the-road declarations onto an indefinite basis. The Government will also extend the grace period to 14 days, following the payment of tax, on the non-display of the tax disc in a vehicle.'"

This logical move has been introduced to reduce tax administration costs.

The .GOV DVLA website has yet to be updated.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Barrie, we're not on the continent, fortunately. I think the difference is that unlike the French and Germans we don't have so much a history of retrospectively introducing restrictions. After more than 100 years of motoring, in the UK the horse still has priority on the road over any other motor vehicle.
This 1906 Daracq is road legal and when I saw it at the 2010 Festival of Speed had a valid tax disc!
No lights, no silencers, no front brakes! Yet we still allow it to be used on our roads.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
soggykitkat

Post by soggykitkat »

Last July I was invited to the All Party Historic Vehicle Club's annual dinner. The chair of the club is our own Rt Hon Greg Knight MP. In his after dinner speech, he mentioned that there was an aim to re-introduce the rolling VED exemption. He thought that with the financial position that the country is in, we probably wouldn't see it in the near future but the group of fanatical classic car owning MP's would continue to lobby behind the scenes.

As I see it, car ownership in the UK had an exponential rise from 1973 onwards. Probably 15 years ago, there were far too many of these cars left on the roads, now however at approaching 40 years old, the cars remaining are most likely in the hands of enthusiasts like ourselves.

Fair credit to the MP's of all parties, that in the background have lobbied away for this concession. Let us be appreciative of their efforts and with small steps perhaps the rolling exemption will return.

Remember that the classic car market is worth around £4 billion to UK PLC.
Interceptor Mk I
115/3484 No name yet

Interceptor MkIII
128/4813 'The ASBO' (it's Losty's really)
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

jamesall

Post by jamesall »

Sorry to hijack the thread for selfish reasons but I like the idea of not paying the government >£200/year for my car.

Would anyone who has a copy of the chassis book to hand be so kind as to look up the despatch date for my car 138/9101? The date of first registration is 01/02/74 so there's a chance it was built before the new cut off date. I'm away from home this week so don't have access to the factory build docs.

James.
MKIII 1973
JOC Number 9830

Return to “General Discussion”