Ginger Baker article in the April issue of C&SC

Cars of the Month for 2010
Keith

Ginger Baker article in the April issue of C&SC

Post by Keith »

We caught up with Ginger Baker on a cold November afternoon, whilst he was in the UK promoting his new book, and just before his live appearance on Later with Jools Holland. For the full story please see the April issue of Classic & Sportscar which out on the 4th March 2010.

The venue was the K West Hotel in Shepherd's Bush and the team had one hour to reunite Ginger Baker with the former Managing Director of Jensen Motors and friend, Richard Graves, together with a Jensen FF, a car he hadn't sat in since 1978.

The brief, to interview him for the book, and recreate a classic photo of
Ginger Baker collecting WOY64G from Richard Graves 40 years previously at Kelvin Way, West Bromwich, the Jensen factory.

It was obvious on the initial meeting that Baker had a very hectic schedule, but he soon warmed when he saw a face from the past in Richard Graves, and became quite animated when he saw the white Mark 1 Jensen FF we had parked outside. He was very quick to point out that the roof on our car was the wrong colour, (his had a blue roof!).

After the photos both Baker and Graves read through with interest the file full of hand written letters from Baker to Jensen Motors. They also included Richard Graves carefully worded replies. These letters have sat in the Jensen Motors archive from 40 years ago, and caused much amusement for the pair. He had 3 Jensen FFs OAF 33F and WOY64G both mark Is and a mark II YYH27H.

These cars had an eventful history, particularly WOY64G & YYH27H, see the article in C & SC, or keep watching out for the book.

Kieron
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

Thanks Keith,

The April issue of Classic & Sportscar has a Red GTO on the cover

We get a mention & a picture on page 8
The article is pages 92 through 95

And the thanks are at http://www.rockstarscars.co.uk/ginger.htm as there were quite a few thanks to do!

We also have a facebook group dedicated to the book at

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 7805724031

Thanks again to all who helped...
1968 Interceptor Mk 1 115/3012
1971 FF MK 2 127/284
Davenewby

Post by Davenewby »

Nice One Kieron :D :D :D

David
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I've hastened to your website, Kieron, but it makes my browser go all wibbly wobbly and fall over whimpering - with the eventual message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage - diagnose connection problems ". Even the cache does this, but every other site is ok. Have you forgotten to put money in the meter or something?
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

Tried it just now & it seemed ok, I hope it was a localised incident

Anyone else having problems??

can you get on now?

K
1971 FF MK 2 127/284
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Worked for me ok. Must be a space-time continuity thing.

Mike
PaulMcElhinney

Re: Ginger Baker article in the April issue of C&SC

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

I have recently spoken to John Page and David Millard. Ginger Baker left one of his FFs at the factory for years. It became very forlorn, he could not be contacted so it was eventually broken by JML. I'm not sure which one.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

Hi Paul,
it wasn't broken, the car was YYH27H, the Mark II and was in for serious issues with the gearbox / propshafts
GB couldn't afford to pay the bill at the time,
the storage charges reached a point where JML owned the vehicle.
it was later repaired ( not sure by whom, but it does have an S4 dash these days ) and is on the road today
1971 FF MK 2 127/284
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

It was in Classic Cars magazine in 2014:

"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “2010 Archive”