That is the question. . .

Cars of the Month for 2009
Keith

That is the question. . .

Post by Keith »

Lyz Turner's glorious Early Interceptor, owned since 1968.

Should it be restored to pristine as-new condition, or left as a sound, running example, and a piece of Jensen history?

It really is a conundrum. I would love to own it, but I don't know whether I'd restore it or not.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

If that was my car I would drive it daily repairing and restoring any items that failed as necessary until something major went wrong mechanicaly or structuraly, then might be the time to re-evaluate a full restoration. I would certainly love to do some touring around the UK once I was happy with the reliability and have some good memories to look back on.

Mike
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I think a rolling restoration is warranted - prevent the corrosion spreading, doing a little at a time. The areas done will gain the patina of age in due course.
One thing I would leave alone, apart from some hide food, is the interior and dashboard.
I regret not catching some areas of damage or corrosion early on H5 as this has resulted in far more work being needed, giving the problem that Lyz is worried about, with the new bits showing up the original bits.
Primary objective must be to keep them on the road.
Marcus
H Type (H5)
CV8 MkII (104/2280)
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

I would vote for "Most Original Car".

I'm 100% with Wallace, use it, repair if something is not working, but leave it as it is as long as possible.

There are enough top restored cars (better than new) everywhere, the world needs some originals.
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

There are enough top restored cars (better than new) everywhere, the world needs some originals.

You are right - until someone stupid crashes into the rear of your car.
That was the end of my CV8 with visible history.
I have to restore it now :-(

Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Yes should be driven until it dies and then see if the repairs needed require a major rebuild or just a fix until next time.

Several coats of underseal to save as much of it as possible.

The only problem with using such a car on a regular basis would be that you would constantly get stopped asking what it was and every planned stop would take a lot longer than you intended.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
CrAzYMoPaRGuY
CMG-Cellar Dweller

Post by CrAzYMoPaRGuY »

If I owned it I would probably NOT restore it.
I would make attempts to do things to prevent further deterioration, and replace rubber hoses, gaskets, maintenance items etc.

A car is only original ONCE, so if it is in original condition such as the car is I would be tempted to leave it be. If it were rusted structurally, had many items of disrepair as well as structural problems, or was beyond the ability to be daily drivable without extensive repairs than I would restore for sure.
It's a gorgeous unrestored example IMO.
1974 Interceptor MKIII
2210/9363

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

A wonderful "survivor" and there are all too few of them.
Drive.
Repair as needed.
Try to stop grinning.
Bob

1972 SP 132/5577, aka "Pirate Jenny"
"Shall we kill them now? ... Or later?"
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Repair as needed with some preventative work to make sure it doesn't deteriate too far.

The interior is lovely and I remember speaking to the owner and she does feed the leather so it should last for many more years.

I would be tempted to ensure bumpers were either painted or re-chromed to prevent them rusting right through and other "sensible" things to preserve the car.

I believe it was her uncles before she acquired it in 1968 - family owned from new, wonderful :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I was lucky enough to slip behind the wheel of this at the International - but only just, as there's not much space for a pot belly! There was probably more interest in this car than any other there. (The vivacious owner probably had some influence on this...).

I advised her against any cosmetic work on the car for the same reasons as the posts above.

It is also extremely fashionable - one look at the magazine shelves in WH Smiths shows a legion of so-called "rat-rods" where function rules over condition, "old-skool" restorations left in original shabby paint, and even custom steel bodywork left completely unpainted - that must require a lot of polishing to keep the rust from taking over!
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Andy

Post by Andy »

An old phrase comes to mind;

a car is original only once.....

Andy
bigkhs

Post by bigkhs »

For that matter another old saying comes to mind.

"DONT FIX WONT AINT BROKE"
123/4101 INTERCEPTOR II MEMBERSHIP NO. 7624
"I LOVE HAVING A BIG EIGHT UP FRONT"
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

the cost of restoring would pay for a lot of happy miles in that wonderful car...

Return to “2009 Archive”