The Jensen G-Type

Cars of the Month for 2009
Keith

The Jensen G-Type

Post by Keith »

This was to be the Jensen-Healey and GT replacement. Documented well enough in both mine and Richard Calver's books. The car pictured was fully finished by Lynx Engineering for a Jensen enthusiast.

Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
bigkhs

Post by bigkhs »

Where is it now keith??
123/4101 INTERCEPTOR II MEMBERSHIP NO. 7624
"I LOVE HAVING A BIG EIGHT UP FRONT"
Keith

Post by Keith »

Still with the same Jensen enthusiast (as far as I am aware).

I know him very well but he doesn't like publicity.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Front view and interior view shout Lotus Esprit to me. Looks like a nice car, shame we never saw the model hit the road.
Keith

Post by Keith »

A bit small for Jason King I would have thought, he'd have prefered the F-Type.

The same owner owns the remaining F-Type bodyshells and fittings. . . But I didn't say that.
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

You'd never guess it was a William Towns effort would you?

It was wasn't it?

I must say I adore this car and would love to see it in the flesh (and to do a feature on it) because there is so much right about it and (sorry about this) also so much wrong about it. The back is by far the best angle and from there to the B post it is simply spectacular and way ahead of its time in styling tersm. The lines are so smooth and the humped Beetle back and deep plunging swage line were the themes that Alfa and many more were exploring even in the 1990s. I find the (no doubt entirely useless) rear hatch absolutely mesmerising, too and I honestly think that the rear of the car could have been designed yesterday... and would have been well-received if it had been. Square on, three-quarter view or even in profile, it saves the car from otherwise bearing a passing resemblance to the TR7 Lynx. Let's face it, it's just a wee bit too pointy at the front and even though there is nothing wrong with the roofline, it does look way too pronounced over the screen because of the amount the door falls away. Maybe a more subtle curvature bonnet to boot would have resolved all my qualms, but it is still spectacular. The interior is magnificent, sort of like a contemporary Lotus, but properly built. Lots of other great little period touches, too, the two-deck windows, the nose ring (a la Monte-Carlo), the 3000ME style headlamps and (in the front three-quarter tracking shot) that overall demeanour of, dare I say it?, yes I do, Matra. It's wonderful.
Keith, I always thought the G-type was intended to be a four-seater. Obviously I can see the reason that didn't happen, but when did the plans change (if they did)? Was it all the whims of Qvale?
derrick

Post by derrick »

Aaaah the f-type or is it a Lamborghini Espada? Which would be more reliable? Perhaps I should simply have them all in my garage ...... :oops: somebody does!
I too would love to see thes Jensens in the flesh, the scale and the finer details are often lost in photographs.
Back to cocktails and crime solving for me then.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Some interesting info about F & G types in an earlier posting:
http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ight=ftype
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Han Kamp

G-type

Post by Han Kamp »

May I remind those who posess the 25th Anniversary book of the Dutch club that the car is shown wearing Dutch registration plates. This answers the question "where is it"
If not for the bad weather forecast during our anniversary weekend, we would have had the G-type on display at the Concours in the Royal Palace grounds then.......
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
stevej
V8 Lover

Post by stevej »

Hello Han,

Have re read the article in Ten kwart eeuw sleutelen aan schoonheid,(Twenty Five Years of Maintaining The Beauty) and it would make a superb article with pics in the JOC magazine.

What happened to Vincents JNSN lorry, did it stay in Holland ??

The 25th Anniversary weekend including the rain at Het Loo !! is one of our most enjoyed Jensen events, we have many fond memories.

Steve & Tracy Johnson
FF2 VOD 64J

Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

Hi Steve and Tracy,
fond memories indeed, for us as well. Mind you we have already started thinking about the 30th anniversary event in 2011......
O, and if anyone is interested we still have a small quantity of the books and DVD of the 25th ann. available

Vincent sold the JNSN years ago as it was too far gone. I don't know to whom though. He is selling his C-V8 too.
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
littlechicken

Post by littlechicken »

Very interesting looking reminds me a little of the Reliant Scimitar GTE rear window/hatch styling.

Lotus Elite also springs to mind

The seats look like they are TR7/ Scimitar SS1

OMG the indicator multi switch is the same as a Reliant Robin :lol:
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

I see it as Matra Bagheera meets Lotus Eclat.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.

Return to “2009 Archive”