Gowran festival of speed

see inside for newsletters, contacts and planned events, etc
73Mark111

Gowran festival of speed

Post by 73Mark111 »

I went to this event, just thought I would let you know what it was like.
On the whole a bit disappointing, I know it was the first time but there were some things that could have been improved to make it a better event.
The biggest problem, and one that can't easily be improved, is that the track is too far away. The track is the camera car track for the horse racing so is on the inside of that very wide strip of grass. Even when standing in the main stand, the visibility was made worse buy the advertising hoardings that were left in place at the back of the horse racing circuit but in front of the car track :roll: So what should have been the best viewing spot was in fact obscured.
The commentary was embarrassing, not the commentators fault as he obviously was not given any information about some of the cars on the track. At one point I thought he was going to start describing cars buy their colour!
There were some good things, the auto test displays were good and it was possible to get close up. There was an excellent wall of death from the UK, best fiver I spent! Real old school with vintage bikes being used.
It was nice to see James Hunt's Hesketh 308 up close and on the track, even though it was too far away.
There was also a classic car display were I bumped into Patrick McCloskey, who was told there were 500 classics on display but in reality there were less than 100 I'd say. We both agreed it was all a bit lame.
I can't see the bottom of the hole I've dug!

1973 Interceptor MK 111
136-8513
alanB

Re: Gowran festival of speed

Post by alanB »

Thanks for the update Mark, I was wondering how it went. Guess the question is whether they take on board the issues this time around and make it better next year. Apart from the RDS show next march - anyone got other shows in their sights ?
Int MK1 115/3363
JH MKII 1140/14780

Return to “Irish Area”