Spring 2022 Area Newsletter

see inside for newsletters, contacts and planned events etc

Moderator: Richie

Richie
V8 Lover

Spring 2022 Area Newsletter

Post by Richie »

Here's the wording for the latest south Wales area Newsletter - if you're in the area and don't receive a copy, please let me know and I'll add you to the distribution list:

As I am now Jensen-less, the task of writing a Newsletter has perhaps become a little more challenging than it was previously. Thankfully however, the Jensen’s replacement was in excellent Jensen company recently.

On the 9th April, my father in law, Graham, called me and explained that because of Covid, his son, with whom he was scheduled to take part in the HRCR’s “Taith Cymru” in his Austin Healey Sprite the next day was no longer able to do so: “Would you like to do it in the Capri?”. I did of course jump at the chance.

This would, by some margin, be the longest drive for the car since collecting her from Llanelli. The only other reasonable journey was of a mere 25 miles to a show in Chepstow and whilst that show went well, the car very suddenly and without warning, ‘failed to proceed’ whilst driving to it. Thankfully, I was with Tony Hutton who, after we had coasted into a very convenient bus stop, diagnosed and fixed dubious wiring at the coil.

It was with some trepidation therefore that as preparation for the 140 mile “Tulip” style event consisted of little more than popping out to fill the tank with high octane ‘motion lotion’, Graham and I set off early on the Sunday morning in beautiful spring sunshine to the start point 40 miles away at Talgarth, north of Crickhowell.

Upon arrival, I was thrilled to see that one of the 50 or so other cars taking part was a very well known Jensen GT. Known originally as “The Golden Girl” when repatriated to the UK from California by Sheila Pillinger, the car then enjoyed considerable concours success when repainted “Aga Green” - to match her oven no less. What a remarkable choice of colour this turned out to be because the car not only continued to win at concours but once it had been “hotted up” when taken over Bodfan and Bev Jenkins, but this “cooking” car was soon also winning on the rally stage. Aga green indeed! Few ovens are as hot as this car!

I managed to grab a few words with the new owner before we set off who explained that he was still getting to know the car. Due to my familiarity with it, I was able to reassure him that he was in for a treat.

I caught up with him again at the end. The beaming smile upon his face confirmed that, unsurprisingly, he is thrilled with the car which was indeed in its element on the tour which took us to Devil’s Bridge near Aberystwyth, via the spectacular Elan and Ystwyth Valleys, before ending at Penderyn near Aberdare travelling across the Brecon Beacons via the magnificent B4519, better known as “The Epynt”, an area made famous as a stage for numerous World Rally Championships.

This was a terrific day out. Thankfully, especially as I had a huge amount of fun turning the brake pads to dust, the car didn’t miss a beat.

The event did however reveal that the car had more to give. Hills – and there were a lot of ‘em - that I’d have expected to climb in third needed a change to second. Though the car performed perfectly well, she clearly had more to give.

After much head scratching the solution, when found, was simple.

The bar that connects the throttle cable to the carburettor was damaged. As such, only one of the two chokes on the Weber carburettor was opening; a simple twist with Mole grips has repaired the bar and restored the performance – it’s amazing how much better an engine will run when given fuel…

With that solved, I’d relish a return to the Epynt because as you can see from the pic in the bottom right, that’s the view you want from a car – a traffic free open road.
And, talking of open, we are now, finally, able to enjoy a world which has been able to open up free of Covid restrictions. And we are long overdue an area get together.

With that in mind, at long last, here’s a date and venue for your diary:

Sunday 26th June, 12:45pm at The Aubrey Arms, Cardiff CF5 6TQ.

The Aubrey Arms is around 4 miles west of Culverhouse Cross on the A48 between Cardiff and Bridgend. I do need to confirm numbers by the 18th June so please do let me know by then if you can make it.

After such a hiatus, I do hope for a good turnout.

Here’s looking forward to that long overdue catch up.

Richard

Return to “South Wales Area”