Summer 2019 Newsletter

see inside for newsletters, contacts and planned events etc

Moderator: Richie

Richie
V8 Lover

Summer 2019 Newsletter

Post by Richie »

At the time of writing, with heavy rain bouncing off the ground – again - it perhaps seems a tad daft to title this newsletter “Summer 2019”. But we live in hope.

Bank Holidays and sunshine rarely seem to coincide but thankfully, unlike last year, sunshine did bless both the Easter and Spring Bank Holidays. As such, we had a Jensen presence at both the Abergavenny show and before that, just over the border at Coleford in the Forest of Dean for the traditional informal and fun Easter Monday gathering.

This was the first outing for my car since the interior renovations were complete and I’m pleased to report that the precautionary black outfit carefully chosen by Jane for the day was unnecessary. The colour remained on the seats, with none transferred to her clothes as she feared.

The Jensen marque was further represented by Steve Payne’s Interceptor III and Ian Bray’s very smart Healey. Ian also made the smart decision to make the day an overnighter to enjoy a few beers with a TVR displaying friend of his to cheer Leeds United along in their play-off bid. Sadly, the beers turned out to be consolatory ones.

There’s always next year Ian.
The Jensen representation at Abergavenny was scheduled to be both my car and the early MkIII Interceptor of Tony Hutton. Tony is however also updating the interior of his car and it was lacking seats.

Tony therefore had to slum it by displaying his Porsche 944 Turbo Convertible. 

I had previously only ever seen this car squeezed into Tony’s busy garage where it had also proved useful as a rather glamorous storage unit. I know Tony was frustrated that his seats were still at the trimmers but it was great to see the Porsche out and about.

And it’s a truly stunning example – a real concours contender and, benefitting from a few subtle tuning tweaks, it goes just as well as it looks. Despite the sunshine, it was ‘roof up’ motoring however, lest the rear passenger, Molly the dog, made a bid for freedom along the fine driving roads around Abergavenny.

I assume that the seats will be in place in time for the next scheduled event in our calendar, being the “Vintage Transport Day” at Parc Ynysangharad, Pontypridd on Saturday 10th August. This event also involves an optional parade drive through the normally pedestrianised town centre – this aspect is not for the shy as the pavements are typically 2-3 deep, everyone seemingly a photographer.

There is much else to enjoy at this event including the usual stalls and fair ground rides alongside animal displays and so forth. But why not bring your bathers and enjoy a splash at the renovated Lido? But no leopard print Speedos please. 

An entry form is attached but please also let me know if you’re coming along – it goes without saying that you are of course welcome – with or without a car.

Prior to that, on the 20th July, the Cefn Mably Arms at Michaelston-Y-Fedw, nestled in the countryside between Cardiff and Newport, are hosting a ‘Classic Car Barbeque’, with soft drinks being provided for exhibitors. I popped along to this last year and it was a fine, very enjoyable afternoon. Good though it was, it isn’t going to compete with the family holiday in Majorca I’ll be enjoying but if you’re about, and looking for a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon, I can definitely recommend it.

The events gone by - and the next to look forward to – have been ‘car show’ based. But it’s you, not the cars that we really want to see. As such, if anyone has any ideas for, or is looking to organise a more ‘social’ get together, I’d be delighted to hear of it. Please just let me know.

Until then, happy and safe motoring.

Richard

Return to “South Wales Area”