Wessex Area Newsletter - Spring 2019

This post is currently vacant, if you are interested in filling the role or would like to organise an event, please send an e-mail to areas.joc.org.uk
Clive Bishop

Wessex Area Newsletter - Spring 2019

Post by Clive Bishop »

The latest newsletter, which I hope you get and read has just been emailed out to the region, but if you are having issues reading it then please contact me but also see below as the events part is listed here:

22nd - 24th March - Practical Classics Classic Car & Restoration Show, NEC, Birmingham

As far as I know the JOC do not have a stand at this show, but I am based towards it as I had one of my BMW's on the BMW Owners Club stand the other year and I found it a great show to wander around and get an idea of who is doing what and also new suppliers of "stuff". It is a very busy show, but not as busy as the November event but if you have the time, it is worth a wander around to see the other car clubs exhibiting, trade stands and also other things going on at the show.

More details for this event are here: http://www.necrestorationshow.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

07th April - Old Down Country Park, South Gloucestershire.

Time: Arrival between 10am – 10.30. Earliest exit time 1pm. Show closes 2pm

Entry: £3 per car, this will be taken on the day. Cash Only.

How to Register: Email Alexandra@olddownestate.co.uk with your name, email address and car model.

Offering: BBQ, hot drinks, bar, music and interviews with car owners

Old Down: We have 66 acres of Parkland including an Adventure Playground, Toddler Area, Nature Trail and many Animals. All of which you can enjoy as part of the Show - so bring the family! Extra visitors will be charge a £5 entry fee.

Visitors: £5 entry on the day

05th May - Bowood House Spring Classic - Bowood, Calne.

We will be returning to this show again this year as it is a lovely setting on the lawns at Bowood House. The house is open for viewing and if you are bringing children or grand children then the adventure park area was quite popular last year ( though I think in some cases it was the adults more than the kids!)
The event is free for one car and 2 adults ( plus 2 children) but we have to register with the organiser in advance who is coming, the number of people and the car details, so please come back to Lindsey or I with your details sooner rather than later.

For more details of the day, please click here

10th May - 2 or 3 nights - Spring Break - Wales

This is a weekend for 2 or 3 nights that Lindsey and I have organised. It has been adopted by the JOC as the official Spring Break and so we have members booked from across the country. It would be great to see a strong Wessex area group come along. Friday we will be heading across the bridge and traveling to Llandridod Wells via the Breacon Beacons, Saturday will be a long drive north and around Snowdonia, with a stop in Port Meirion before heading back across the spine of Wales to our hotel. The Sunday will be a trip across to the Welsh coastline before back to the hotel, where you can either head home or stay the extra night.

More details of this event are on the club forum here and we have now mapped the driving routes which will rival Scotland, Norway and other great driving routes in Europe.

It would be great to see more of the regions members with their cars, so please check out the forum details and get booking soon, the hotel is filling up with all manner of guests!!

25th / 26th May - La Vie en Bleu, La Vita Rossa Event - Prescott Hill Climb

I have confirmation that we can attend both the Saturday and Sunday as a club at this Prescott event, which is a homage to Italian and French cars plus Bugatti Owners Club 90th Anniversary. Details of the events are here

For anyone interested in coming then please contact me as soon as possible as space will be strictly monitored by the BOC and so if we don't fill the spaces then they will take back the space....nice them there Italian owners. You do not have to attend both days, just let me know which day.

Price is £15 per person, per day.

07th June - Track Day @ Castle Coombe Circuit

In view of comments last year about doing something more active and that there wasn't anything for certain sectors of the club, I have organised some space for the JOC members at this track day at Castle Coombe.
I have posted on the events page of the JOC forum about this and expressions of interest and at least one booking has been made by a Jensen Healey owner.

We have a discount place code: JOC20 when booking and everything is done direct with the course here: https://castlecombecircuit.co.uk/car-track-days/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The booking code is for the 07th June only and so make sure that you book it soon as we only currently have 10 places. It is your responsibility to comply wit their conditions and also to check on your insurance for the event. This is not a race or timed event, just a day to take your car around the track.

This was set up following a request that we do more driving and activity events rather than shows and so if anyone wants to "drive" their car on a track (under certain conditions) then please book directly as soon as possible.

21st - 23rd June - JOC International - Beverly, Yorkshire.

There will more details on the club website, forum and in the club magazine about this, but I just wanted to high light it for those that will be planning on attending. Unfortunately it clashes with our regional Bristol Classic Car Show, to which I had already made a commitment and so Lindsey and I will not be attending this year. For those that are looking to go, I suggest you check the JOC website and book early to secure yourself a place at their chosen hotel.

22nd & 23rd June - Bristol Classic Car Show - Bath & West Show Grounds, Shepton Mallet.

We will be again having a club stand in the Showering's Pavilion for this event with three cars on show. I will be organising the stand content very soon and also the theme, which this year will possibly a bit tongue in cheek, but perfectly accurate. I have had some people volunteer to help over the weekend but just in case of changes etc, if anyone would like to volunteer some time for the stand, it would be appreciated.

If you bring your Jensen to the show, you can park in the classic car park and the entrance will be £5 on the day for the car and driver, any passengers will have to pay the full price of admission, which I believe is going to be £10.00 if bought in advance or £13.00 on the day.

I have had to change the planned theme but will be contacting people to volunteer their cars when I have sorted this out next week.

21st July - Classic & Supercars - Sherborne Castle, Dorset.

The club stand at this event has been cancelled as Southern area are not planning on attending this year and others from Devon and Cornwall region have other things on.

For this event, if there are enough from this region - 6 cars then I will see about arranging this for just us, albeit it is a little outside of our patch, but this needs some degree of commitment as soon as possible.

You can still, go to the event as a privateer by booking direct with the show organisers on their website : https://classic-supercars.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

05th October - Autumn Classic - Castle Coombe Circuit

We will be again be taking a area alongside the track for the club at this event, which turns out 10 cars plus even though it has rained for the last two years.
Booking forms will be available later in the year, but please advance register so that I can allocate the right amount of space / cars.

Price is £15.00 per person

Closing date for booking is the 30th August, but we cannot finalise space until we have paid for all the spaces - currently 10 cars....PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THIS LATE AS THEY ARE GETTING STRICT DUE TO THE NUMBERS BOOKING.

06th October - Anglo / American Autumn Classic - Prescott Hill

Again we have been accepted for the Sunday event (as we are at Castle Coombe the day before) . This is not a participating event, just to be able to take the cars there with a allocated area.

Like with the May event, I will update you with more details for those that contact me and wish to attend but in the meantime details of the event are here.

Price is £15.00 per person.

Haynes Motor Museum 2019 breakfast meets at Haynes in Sparkford:

•07th April
•05th May
•02nd June
•07th July
•04th August
•01st September
•06th October
•03rd November
•01st December

Redhill Village Hall, A38 Just south of Bristol Airport.

For anyone in the Bristol or North Somerset region these local village Hall events have grown in popularity with it seeing over 70 cars of all shapes, sizes and age turn up for a few hours. There is food and drink available and so if you fancy a morning out on a Sunday or a Thursday evening outing then why not just turn up.....don't get there too late as it maybe full!!!
More details can be found on their Facebook page here: •Sunday 14th April
•Thursday 16th May
•Thursday 20th June
•Thursday 18th July
•Thursday 15th August
•Sunday 13th October
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer

Return to “Wessex Area”