Dave Newby's Jensen-Healey

Cars of the Month for 2006
Keith

Dave Newby's Jensen-Healey

Post by Keith »

This month, I give you:

Yes, that's Dave there, I don't know just what that big cup is, (maybe Dave can tell us!)

The car is now a text-book example of originality. The Jensen-Healey has had varied opinions over the years, but when you look at Dave's car you will realise the original designers' intent. A very capable, modern sports car.

The colour: Mustard.

Opinions on that also, but look at Dave's car. It is a colour of its time. Jaguar, Rover and MG had similar colours. Indeed I remember as a schoolboy that the way to recognise a New Zealand-assembled Jaguar X-J6 was the Rover Mustard Colour (Rovers were assembled in NZ also.)

I think you'll all agree that Dave's car looks magnificent in that colour and that it is, indeed, December's CAR of the MONTH!
Davenewby

Post by Davenewby »

It's the bl***y Presidents Cup Keith! Have you not seen it before? :D :D :D
David
Keith

Post by Keith »

Of course I have, but I thought you'd like to tell the story . . .
Davenewby

Post by Davenewby »

OK Keith, I didn't realise that you were so desperate for copy.
I (we) have owned our JH since 1976, during which time we have had an awful lot of fun out of it. Initially, it was a "daily driver" but over the years, it became a somewhat more "special" car. Nowadays, we (my wife and I) drive the car for fun. And it still is fun! Unlike the modern hermetically sealed euro-boxes, you actually have to drive this car. Its handling and performance still keep it up in the same league as cars 30 years its junior and it really comes into its own on twisting country roads. We can still give the MR2s etc. a fright.
The body was completely rebuilt some 8 years ago, and I have gradually rebuilt everything else on the car, with the intention of returning it to as near original condition as possible. The car was entered into Concours and eventually succeeded in winning the JOC Presidents Cup in 2003 and amazingly, again in 2005. That's when the pic was taken.
The car still leads a very active life, but when it rains (this is England), it relaxes in the garage alongside its big brother, a 1972 Mk111 Interceptor.
Thanks for the publicity, and a reminder to all readers, I expect to see your cars in the annual JOC Concours at Little Horwood next June.
Regards to all,
David
Concours Secretary
Jensen Owners Club :D

Return to “2006 Archive”