Lindsey Bishop - Jensen Healey MKI

KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

The car of the month is Lindsey Bishop's fantastic Jensen Healey. Thanks Clive and Lindsey for the write up and the photographs below.

About the car

It was manufactured on 19th February 1973 but not sold until the 18th May 1973 to a customer in Cumbria. Cumbria was its home through 4 owners including previous JOC members and a colour change in May 1980 from its original blue to Jensen Magenta, which I understand at the time was available on the Interceptor but not the JH.

From around 1992 (guess) it was with an owner in the home counties area, where the car sat for 15 years in a “slow restoration” before making its home in Essex where it sat for another few years before the last owner then started to do a home restoration, around 2012 and then in March 2017, Lindsey became the new owner and we then started the whole process again of bringing her up to scratch.

Since that time, predominantly due to the fact that she has been largely unused since the late 80’s and has just done 53000 now, money has been invested in a full engine going over by Martin Shirley, refurbished wheels, replacement suspension and all bushes, new interior (seats and door cards and seat cushions) and a new off the shelf vinyl hood.

Future plans are to replace the windscreen as it is separating in some places, fit the front and rear anti roll bars, bigger front discs and bigger callipers (we have the Mendip hills close by and tend to get a bit of brake fade due to the speeds the car sails up and down the gorges). There are also a few other jobs to do as well and over the next year we hope to get all of these things done before starting on the Interceptor and another Jensen Healey Mk1 we have which needs a full restoration.

Why this choice

This car is registered to Lindsey as her classic car. The car was chosen after so many years of driving a long wheel base VW T5 van as a daily driver, Lindsey has always wanted a convertible. So having tried various new cars, the decision was flipped by her (of her own free will) to a Jensen Healey as she spent some time at events with Helen Newby and also seeing various “tall” gentlemen driving them as well decided that scrap the new tuff and so the hunt for a decent JH started.

So in March 2017, we travelled to Essex with Rob Heydon to see this car and to check out the good and bad points. As they say the rest is history and the car has resided alongside the interceptor of a similar age since that time. It is driven hard and travels around quite a bit both locally and in the south west region though a continental trip is not quite on the cards yet until we sort out a gear box more in line with motorway cruising than the original 4 speed box.

Front view

Front Headlight view

Back side view

Back roof down

Passager side view

Side View

Side view

Interior

Roof Down

Feel free to message Clive or Lyndsey if you want to know more via the Club Forum.
Robinson D

Re: Lindsey Bishop - Jensen Healey MKI

Post by Robinson D »

Very nice. Looks well sorted!
Restoring a MKII, 125/5052
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

That is really very nice indeed. Makes me want to get one!
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Mike L

Post by Mike L »

Lovely Jensen Healey!
CV8 MK1 104/2004
CV8 MK1 104/2035
Jensen Healey 1110/14162
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Robinson D wrote:Very nice. Looks well sorted!
Mechanically it is almost there with some wish list stuff to be done, body work is holding up well, but again it will need another respray - it just whether it is a GB £5-7000 job or a GB £12000 job :-)

Also have a second Mk 1 which is a full restoration job with chances of a ground up enhancement, but with three Jensen's, which gets priority from the one pot that is currently not being filled due to current situation. :(
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

Nice one Clive. I see you say "bigger front discs and bigger callipers" what are they going to be from?
As you know I have the V8 in mine and I'm still looking into better braking.
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

JHV8 wrote:Nice one Clive. I see you say "bigger front discs and bigger callipers" what are they going to be from?
As you know I have the V8 in mine and I'm still looking into better braking.
Hi Rob,

Have ready to be fitted:

Ford Capri / Cortina front callipers, new custom front discs (solid) from Martin Shirley which he made and upgraded front pads (EBC).

If you speak to Martin then he can give you the set up as I don't have the specific details to hand at the moment. All three components not cheap but with the brake fade we do get up and down the Mendips, thought it was worth it, especially coming around the corner (as you remember those tights ones up and down the gorges) to find cows and / or goats in the middle of the road.
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

A lovely Healey and a great pair.

Have become part of our Jensen family over the past 4/5 years.

Looking forward to more jollies soon.

John P
Attachments
Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway 2018
Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway 2018
lb.jpg (210.34 KiB) Viewed 8356 times
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

That colour really suits it, and as Chris says, makes me want to own one. Never been too impressed with the healey colour range, the yellow and red are probably the better colours, but this colour just does it for me.
Lovely car, well done :)
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Helen

Post by Helen »

Wow! It's looking really good now Lindsey. How nice to have a Healey as car of the month. I like the seatbelt brackets - where did you get them from? Look forward to seeing it again soon.
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
croberts

Post by croberts »

Your car is looking good and very well presented. Always great to see a Jensen Healey being featured on the club forum. Will be nice to see you both for a catch up when club events start up again.

Chris & Rose
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Helen wrote: like the seatbelt brackets - where did you get them from?
They came off ebay shop of one of the MG suppliers - they are for a MGB. You have to take the head rests off and then slide these on. Better in metal but we have the black plastic ones which allow us to tuck the buckle into it as you can see.
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

Helen wrote:Wow! It's looking really good now Lindsey. How nice to have a Healey as car of the month. I like the seatbelt brackets - where did you get them from? Look forward to seeing it again soon.
I bought some nice aluminium ones here https://alloycarparts.co.uk/product/mgb ... -tidy-set/
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Forum members can see Lindsey's concours entry here
https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 59&t=31037
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Martin K

Post by Martin K »

Love it!
Martin Kennedy

1969 FF Mk1 119/098 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWEc85hC6Q
1970 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
JOC Member 10029

Return to “May_June 2020”