Paul Tootill's SP

An SP arises from a deep slumber
zacmarshall

Paul Tootill's SP

Post by zacmarshall »

JENSEN SP
MYH 9L

After 28 years in hibernation Jensen SP MYH 9L (mileage 54,000) saw daylight for the first time from its barn in Black Bouys, Uckfield purchased in December 2014.

The SP was bought by JOC member Paul Tootill.

The first trip out was to The Classic Car Show in April 2015, where it was displayed in it's as found state on the Heritage Barn Find stand, proudly showing its untouched as found state with original six pack. As expected the car attracted lots of attention from the classic car public.

In 2016 the car started its journey to where we find it today.

Twelve months were spent on welding which pieced the car back together.
The car was stripped to a bare shell and sent to M P Customs of Bude, Cornwall who carried out the time-consuming task of preparing the bodywork with bespoke paintwork as we see today.

Whilst the car was at the paint shop Dave Pearce of Oily Rag Classics was carrying out the engine rebuild and sourcing parts for the suspension, brakes and steering etc. The gear box was sent to Duncan Watts Transmissions for a full rebuild.

On the cars return to Oily Rags Classics the engine and running gear were fitted along with a new fuel system, stainless steel fuel tank. New six pack carbs were fitted as the originals were beyond repair.

An upgraded Fosseway Big Brake Kit was fitted which included new discs and callipers all round to make the car stop as well as it goes.

Once the mechanical, electrical and engineering works had been carried out attention turned to the interior. This was in excellent condition as found with the door cards in mint condition. Minimal restoration was needed to the leather work etc. to bring it as close to its original factory state as possible.

All chrome and stainless steel parts were either sent for polishing, re-chroming or replaced. New front and rear chrome bumpers have been fitted.

The SP will be on show at The Classic Car Show on the Jensen Owners' Club stand (Hall 1, stand 545) from November 9th - 11th 2018.

More photos from when the car was at the Restoration Show in March 2015.

Some more photos from before the restoration

During the restoration

A rather splendid result :-)

C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
shaun

Re: Paul Tootill's SP

Post by shaun »

Brilliant Zac.

Photos have really helped. You'll see why on Thursday
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Suprer job guys nice one Paul and Dave of course, :wink:
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

At the NEC today:
Attachments
31DB4E30-6B8E-41C0-A8A7-9B70C88561D2.jpeg
31DB4E30-6B8E-41C0-A8A7-9B70C88561D2.jpeg (160.22 KiB) Viewed 12172 times
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Clearly a lot of work has gone into creating a stunning car from a near wreck!
Very well done.

Just need to polish those wheels now ;-)
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Martin R wrote:Clearly a lot of work has gone into creating a stunning car from a near wreck!
Very well done.

Just need to polish those wheels now ;-)
Yes wheels a bit subjective to me but easily replaced for that original look, no doubt would be the first SP to attain six figures should paul decide to sell it, it really is a cracking SP and deserves to be inline with a Aston dbs or amv8 in my opinion,

And yes i know its not about the money but the values should be higher,,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Grant

Post by Grant »

The SP looks absolutely stunning, beautiful and a brilliant job, it's so much work and money to get them like this as we all knowImage
I am not a lover of the wheels eitherImage.. but to each their own and it wouldn't put me off buying it obviously, a real easy change, I award this to the owner, yes you Paul >>Image.. a beautiful job done "My Ole Fruit" :wink: .. congrats to a lovely car and I am sure you are proud :wink: .. Well done.. have another medal sport>>Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Seen the SP in the flesh at the NEC.

Absolutely stunning.

And those wheels, they make it look menacing, ready to tear up the tarmac. Love it!!!
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
Arcnewal

Post by Arcnewal »

I have to agree with Eddie on this, it is absolutely stunning and seemed to receive a lot of attention.

nrb993

Post by nrb993 »

Wow,

I'd love to see the SP in person

Shame I only live just down the road from Uckfield, wish I had found it.

An incredible amount of work, as we know the SP rots the most of all the Interceptors

Not sure about black Interceptor wheels, but maybe in person they would look better than the pictures

Quite amazing how white wall tyred interceptors keep coming up, Ive white wall tyres on my restoration interceptor III

But i'll be going classic black rubber

cheers
Neil
:D JOC Interceptor Registrar 8)
Restoring JH2
Interceptor MK III 'H' series - yellow
Used to own FFII - 127/223 :lol:
-- JOC 5114 --
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

nrb993 wrote:Wow,

I'd love to see the SP in person

Shame I only live just down the road from Uckfield, wish I had found it.

An incredible amount of work, as we know the SP rots the most of all the Interceptors

Not sure about black Interceptor wheels, but maybe in person they would look better than the pictures

Quite amazing how white wall tyred interceptors keep coming up, Ive white wall tyres on my restoration interceptor III

But i'll be going classic black rubber

cheers
Neil
Why do you think a SP rots any worse than a regular interceptor ?????????????????????
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

If you can send me your email address I can email picks. I do not know how to navigate picks on the clubs setup. Also send exactly what you need plus your altitude. The air fuel screw on the center carb is just above the center carb front attaching hex bolt appropriate 1/2”. The screw is probably an number 1 or 0 and black in color and should have a cork surround to refrane any air from coming in threads. There should be another screw in the same place on the other side. Both should be gently screwed in and be backed out evenly Mark the position of screw driver with a dot of color and take your time turning closed but not tight. One at a time. Make sure your butterflies are opening full when activating the accelerator full floor position. Your altitude is important I am 80’ above sea level. Joe Schiavone

Return to “November 2018”