Phil Fish's Interceptor II

Southern Belle - Phil Fish's Interceptor II
zacmarshall

Phil Fish's Interceptor II

Post by zacmarshall »

This is Interceptor Mk II KRX 124H, currently owned by Phil Fish (Joint Southern Area Rep).

This is what Phil had to say about the car:

KRX 124H was born on the 2nd September 1969 and was completed on or before the 20th October, when the car underwent its pre-delivery inspection. From looking through the extensive “snag list” it appears though the build quality was a major issue at the time. Numerous items are mentioned such as refitting the doors, replacing window seals, unpainted trim, lack of steering column shroud, loose carpets, broken slave cylinder and incorrect rocker covers. Once these were corrected the car was taken on several road tests and the car finally left the Kelvin Way with 475miles (some road test!) on the clock.

The car (chassis number 3588) was the 37th car off the mark II production line and was delivered in Brasillia (dark brown) with a tan interior. Optional extras included Sundym glass, air conditioning, rear seat belts, Voxson Stereo and Town and Country horns .

“KRX124H” was first registered to Mrs D G Jones of Chislehurst, Kent on 11/11/1969 with a plate TKK 718H. However, within 15 months the car was back at Kelvin Way undergoing warranty repairs for the dreaded rust along the boot edge, water ingress into boot frame (both of which are still a problem today!) and paint peeling from the wingside grilles! At this point the mileage was only 5,255. Repairs took 5 hours at a manpower cost of £2 per hour and at a cost of £3.17 for the 2 pints of paint. How times have changed.

On the 31st March 1974, after 4 years of ownership the car returned to Kelvin Way after Mrs Jones had had a major shunt necessitating repairs to both the front and rear ends. This resulted in a labour cost of £928 (150+ hours?) and £348 of parts including front and rear bumpers at £86 and £64 respectively (Oh to find bumpers at those prices today). Mrs Jones received the Jensen back on 4th April 1974 but by the 1st February 1975 Mrs Jones had sold the car to Mr Kirkdale of Bromley, Kent who must have greatly enjoyed the car because he kept it till September 1987 when he sold into a rising classic car market.

“KRX124H” then passed rapidly through the hands of two new owners in 2 years gradually migrating westwards from Kent to Somerset. I suspect that at this stage the car had developed some serious issues, which probably proved too much for the new owners who quickly moved the car on. At this point the car registration also changed to 102GOV

In June 1989 the car was sold to Mr Paul Hughes of Somerset and re-registered as KRX 124H. During the early 2000’s the car underwent a full restoration with a colour change to pearlescent dark blue in that 2004. Unfortunately, Mr Hughes passed away in 2013 when the restoration was nearing completion.
In September 2014 the car was acquired by Jason Williams from the deceased’s estate. Despite not having been on the road for at least 15 years, and numerous boxes of trim and parts in the rear, Jason drove the car home from Exeter to Bournemouth without any mishaps! A brave man, but also a reflection of the previous owners work on the car. For the next 2 years Jason undertook a complete refresh of the whole mechanicals of the car which is well documented in the “Members Cars” section of the JOC Forum (https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19053). Jason took the engine out, cleared out the water ways, completed an unleaded conversion, refreshed the engine bay and suspension, fitted a new fuel tank, brake rebuild, returned the car back to the original RoStyle wheels, restored the rear axle, repainted the trim and put in new carpets.

In June 2017 I acquired the car from Jason (thanks mate!) and am now the proud owner of a mechanically sorted Jensen Interceptor Mk II. On my way back from the excellent Wessex JOC Castle Coombe day last October the milometer ticked passed 100,000 miles.

On my do list are repair/replace the AC, snag a few on-going electrical issues and try so very hard not to undo any of Jason’s great work. And of course drive the car at every opportunity.

So far the car has attended the JOC Wessex stand at the Castle Coombe event (https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 0&p=197140) and the Southern Area recent May bi-monthly meeting (https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 02&t=27616) and will be at the Classics and Supercar show at Sherbourne Castle on July 15th July (https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 02&t=27366).

C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Robinson D

Re: Phil Fish's Interceptor II

Post by Robinson D »

Beautiful car. I love a well-sorted MKII.
Restoring a MKII, 125/5052
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I have enjoyed seeing this improve over the years.

Looks like a well sorted Interceptor 11
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
Grant

Post by Grant »

I remember the car coming up for sale just before Jason bought it, I met with Jason once somewhere which I can't recall and we had a good chat about it,.. It is a lovely car Phil and good luck to you.. all that is missing in my opinion is a nice Mk2 Steering wheelImage...Image.. It really is lovely car Phil, you should be a proud man :wink: .. EnjoyImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Good to see the car being looked after and improved. I chased this car for several months back in 2014 as it was with a dealer who bought it off the deceased estate, but he messed me about too much. By the time he came back to me with a decent price, I'd bought my MK1.
It was a basically sound car then, but needed commissioning, which is what Jason did when he bought it.

Enjoy it Phil, hopefully catch up one day to see what it looks like now in the flesh. Sometimes wish I'd held out for it, as I do like an early MK2.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

I remember looking at this car with Kevin and could see the
potential it had,

Jason did well sorting the mechanicals and with Phil at the helm
It’s heading to the next level.

I do like a Mk2

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
EdwardB

Post by EdwardB »

Beautiful car my friend. It’s a credit to you.
Fabulous work in revitalising the leather.
I’d love to see some before and after photos of those seats - great transformation.
It’s looking very very good.
Next stop - Sherborne Castle on July 15th.
JOC Member 10653

1968 Jensen Interceptor 115/2737

1972 Triumph TR6 PI
1967 E-Type Jaguar S1 4.2 OTS
1948 MG TC
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

EdwardB wrote:Next stop - Sherborne Castle on July 15th.
See you boys there...will remind the Wessex lot that there maybe space left :wink:
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
Jorrocks

Post by Jorrocks »

Grant wrote:I remember the car coming up for sale just before Jason bought it, I met with Jason once somewhere which I can't recall and we had a good chat about it,.. It is a lovely car Phil and good luck to you.. all that is missing in my opinion is a nice Mk2 Steering wheelImage...Image.. It really is lovely car Phil, you should be a proud man :wink: .. EnjoyImage
No chance, you’ve got ‘em all! :lol: :lol:
1972 Interceptor MkIII (128/4886)
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

A lovely looking example. 8)
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Phil Hayes

Post by Phil Hayes »

Great looking original car. I love those rostyles with the painted rims and chrome spokes. perfick
SP 131-4777

Return to “June 2018”