John Stephenson's Interceptor 1

John Stephenson's early mark 1 Interceptor
zacmarshall

John Stephenson's Interceptor 1

Post by zacmarshall »

This is John Stephenson's early Interceptor 1, known as Lola.

115/2584 is very early build West Brom car which still has nearly all the features found on the Vignale cars.

It was originally ordered without power steering but was returned to the factory in 1974 to have PAS retro fitted.

This involved cutting the chassis tubes and grafting on Mk2 suspension & cross member. The cost of the work was in excess of £700!

It has just been returned to the road after a yearlong body restoration. During the restoration wooden shims were found around the sides of the front screen similar to those used by Vignale. The shell may even be made from a Vignale jig which were moved to West Brom and then discarded due to quality issues.

John Stephenson bought 2584 at auction in Sept 2010 and had an eventful journey home with no working dip/main beam, meaning a 200 mile plus drive with the indicator stalk pulled back allowing high beam only. As with most electrical problems a loose wire on the foot switch was all that was a fault! After replacing the sills around 2013 John decided that sooner or later the bodywork would need sorting. Earlier this year the car was taken to a local South Devon restorer for a full respray and to address the rust issues.

Although nearly 50 years old, no complete panels were replaced. Repair panels were made and fitted as required. The hatch required the most work with both inner and outer skins having large sections replaced.

'Lola' as named by John is now back on the road looking resplendent in Old English White and the front end now with its original colour scheme and original Altissimo lights replacing the MGB ones retro fitted..

With the major jobs now sorted all that is left is to sort out small sections of interior trim and maybe finding a decent Mk1 rear bumper to replace the current Mk3 one fitted.

John & Lola have been regulars at South West events since 2010 and after more 'fettling' throughout the winter will be ready for 2017.

Lola as bought back in 2010.

Back on the road :-)

How can anyone not love a mark 1 Interior?

If only you could buy an Interceptor for £3138 now (although this was the cost to the dealer with a 20% discount)

Bristol Jensen dealer Auto Scuderia asking the factory about fitting power steering. Incidentally their Jensen dealer sign is now hanging in a member's house in Oxfordshire. Something to do with Vice :-)

Photos showing the sleeved chassis tubes resulting from the fitting of power steering and the later suspension.

C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
garyc

Re: John Stephenson's Interceptor 1

Post by garyc »

Good looking car

Looks nice in white with the black vinyl roof

Also from the front especially around the lights it gives a nice contrast with the black grille.....

The Amp gauge looks different to mine were the earlier models different i'm about 400 numbers away from this one

Looking forward to seeing it next year any pictures under the bonnet

Gary
taximan

Post by taximan »

I have multiple rear bumper sections which I can take pics of if interested.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
croberts

Post by croberts »

Your car is looking really good and is a credit to you John. Looking forward to meeting up again next year. I remember visiting Auto Scuderia a few times in the late 70's with my Jensen Healey for maintenance work and spares. Just wondered where the original bill of sale came from? Did this come with the car or did you get it afterwards - my car was also supplied by Charles Follett and I just wondered if I could get hold of a copy of the bill.

Chris Roberts
John Mk 1

Post by John Mk 1 »

Hi Shaun,
Good to hear from you.
Rear Bumper Section Photos would be good.
I think you have my email address.

Thanks

John
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is for Living

115 / 2584
John Mk 1

Post by John Mk 1 »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments.

The Auto Scuderia Invoice came with the Car along with a selection of other Invoices.

I did get a copy of the Cars File from Robeys but I already had most of the info, they probably have the Healey files also.

Somewhere I also have a copy of the Bill from Jensen for the Power Steering being fitted.

Look forward to catching up again next year.

Cheers,

John
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is for Living

115 / 2584
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Nice story with this car,, why is there such a gap between the top of the grill and the body opening, have you taken some slats from the grill or is the opening to deep, front panel incorrectly fitted, ???
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

cannonball wrote:Nice story with this car,, why is there such a gap between the top of the grill and the body opening, have you taken some slats from the grill or is the opening to deep, front panel incorrectly fitted, ???
Dunc, I took the photos while John was settling the bill ! It looks fine when standing up and looking straight at it.

I was lying down on the ground. Maybe the dimensions are from a Vignale jig ?

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
taximan

Post by taximan »

John, PM sent.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Pymmie wrote:
cannonball wrote:Nice story with this car,, why is there such a gap between the top of the grill and the body opening, have you taken some slats from the grill or is the opening to deep, front panel incorrectly fitted, ???
Dunc, I took the photos while John was settling the bill ! It looks fine when standing up and looking straight at it.

I was lying down on the ground. Maybe the dimensions are from a Vignale jig ?

John P
Hi John

just never seen anything like that as you prob know the grill can be a s bitch to fit without hurting anything as the thing only just fits,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Great to see your cherished car back on the road, John. Always a relief when the work is complete and play-time can begin.

Return to “December 2016”