383 water pump leak

Mopar Big Block Talk
mojo

383 water pump leak

Post by mojo »

A few days ago I noticed a very minor coolant leak, dripping off the crankshaft pulley. The source appears to be the water pump immediately above but, having taken off the water pump, there seems to be nothing wrong with it - there is no coolant coming out of the "weep" hole below the pump's main bearing. I've looked carefully at the gasket which looks fine, and I re-mounted it with Hylomar used between gasket and pump and, if anything, the leak is worse. It seems to be coming from the lower fixing bolt.

When I look at that bolt hole, it is not a blind hole - it goes right through into the coolant-filled part of the water pump housing, and I think the coolant is simply coming out past the threads.

So... what is the approved method of stopping this from happening? I've checked my Plymouth service manual, and it doesn't seem to cover that subject (though it does tell you how to dismantle the pump itself!).

[Edit: I have plenty of PTFE tape - is it as simple as just winding some of that on the threads before putting the bolts in?]
johnw

Re: 383 water pump leak

Post by johnw »

Hylomar on the thread will be safe. PTFE could crack things as these are not taper threads. Much as you would an exhaust manifold stud that penetrates the water jacket. I can't see how this will fix it because I Don'T think that bolt penetrates a water jacket. It should be safe to try though.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
mojo

Re: 383 water pump leak

Post by mojo »

Thanks John - I had already used Hylomar on the threads, but perhaps I didn't use enough.

I've now tried the PTFE and it seems to work Ok. I don't believe it will cause any damage - it's steel bolts into an iron casting, not alloy, so I think it will be Ok.

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”