Electronic ignition for cv8 mk 2

Mopar Big Block Talk
Giles

Electronic ignition for cv8 mk 2

Post by Giles »

Does anyone know a supplier in the uk? For a 383. Thanks!
CV8 Mk2
johnw

Re: Electronic ignition for cv8 mk 2

Post by johnw »

Kevin Birch was making an exciting system from a Powerspark unit. £50 total cost. Alternatively there is the Mopar electronic ignition with the orange box. £200 or so. The advantage to Mopar being that any Jensen mechanic is an expert already as it is the Mk3 ignition with wiring harness and standard Mopar sockets included, with spares everywhere. I fitted one to an FF for a new owner that wasn't good at starting 383s. I actually liked it too.

Why do you want electronic ignition? The usual reason owners want electronic ignition is because of bad starting. On a 383 that is usually a worn distributor, so the Mopar kit fixes that cheaply with a new distributor, and the Powerspark gets round it with the rotating magnet. A 3rd option I prefer now is to fix up the old distributor, or buy a rebuilt one. Dave Barnet sold me a rebuilt one 22 years ago, convincing me that was the way to go, and so far he has been right.

As a final dream ticket option, I really like the idea of a fully custom ignition system, using a crank sensor, vacuum, throttle position sensor, anti knock, maybe even Lambda,fancy controller all setup on a rolling road at great expense. Develop the ultimate map, then see which sensor inputs are not needed, and try and program that into a powerspark like system.

Bob Clevenger made a nice system for Pirate Jenny too:

https://www.bobclevenger.com/Crank-fire ... ition.html
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Giles

Post by Giles »

Thanks John. The points fell apart today, AA man couldn't fix it (he seemed competent) and suggested electronic ignition.
6 hours in the bucketing rain waiting for a tow. I had to agree.
I can't find a supplier in the UK on the web though, either for a distributor or an electronic ignition. And the car is going nowhere...
CV8 Mk2
Giles

Post by Giles »

oh-joy.jpg
oh-joy.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
CV8 Mk2
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

I fitted blue box Mopar electronic ignition to my FFII. Uses original distributor cover & coil, looks stock and it transformed the car. I think the stronger spark suits modern fuels, highly recommended :D
Giles

Post by Giles »

Thanks frankoid. I have ordered a Proform kit from Craig at Robeys - he says it's OK. After owning it for 40 years the car still seems to cause grief - never in the garage, always in the rain. I presume it never ends.
CV8 Mk2
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Yep! But it is worth it for the few perfect moments when every thing is in tune, and you feel suspended in time in a beautiful crafted machine with seemingly supernatural powers to take you anywhere (until next time the gremlins take their revenge :shock: )
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

I am not sure what is available there but the Pertronix conversion works well too and looks stock. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
johnw

Post by johnw »

I always carry a spare set of points, a condenser, an old spark plug, and the alternator controller. Put the new spares on your car and save the old tested working ones for emergencies, then you have total confidence that the part is good.

Some of the aftermarket points on sale are garbage, and others, like Blue Streak points, last many years.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”