Engine oil cooler - recommendations and pictures?

Mopar Big Block Talk
scjensen

Engine oil cooler - recommendations and pictures?

Post by scjensen »

Preparing for warm summer drives and want to get advice on adding an engine oil cooler to my 75 convertible. Cooling system in good condition with everything working. Runs at right temp except when really hot outside and aircon is on in slow traffic, which happens a lot in California. Any experience with oil coolers, how best to install, powered or unpowered, results, etc? Thinking about doing it next.
1975 Interceptor Convertible
1976 Interceptor Convertible
AndrewP

Re: Engine oil cooler - recommendations and pictures?

Post by AndrewP »

Hi (sorry, you havent put a name)

I use a generic universal type oil cooler up front (in front of the A/C condenser). This type of thing : https://www.adradperformance.com.au/products/EOC001

I'm afraid I don't have any pictures, but having just replaced all the oil hosing to and from the cooler, its important to get good quality, high pressure pipe and fittings and make sure when running the pipes from the filer housing and oil pump to and from the cooler through the already packed engine bay, that you secure the pipes and make sure they are away from any sharp edges where it could chafe and cut through.
You really do not want hot oil spraying around under there!
I'm also surprised that you don't have one already fitted? I thought all interceptors (coupe or otherwise) came with them?

What is fitted to the remote oil filter fitting as they should have take off points cast into it? Are they blanked off?

Cheers
Andrew P
Perth, Western Australia.
Interceptor Mk3 #1284312
RayR

Post by RayR »

Hi, I put in a generic one as well, when I lived in Arizona, agree with Andrew on hose and fittings, my installation has been in for 20+ years with no problems. If you want to be a little more creative you can put the cooler in the forward wheel arch behind the lights, it stops the oil cooler heating up the air going into the condenser and radiator. I did this on mine and I think I had to move the air horns, I also made a new front arch shield with louvers.

Cheers,
MkIII Interceptor (140 8488)
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I have also used a generic one and fitted it with a thermostatic fan, I also have one for my gearbox with a fan. I have set the fan to come on at 100c for the engine oil cooler and it surprised me how quickly from cold the fan will come on if the engine is left to idle. Motorcycle cooling fans work well as they are compact, usually high powered and being Japanese very reliable.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

I have a 7.7 quart Milodon oil pan that is slightly lower than the front cross member. Oil and engine temperature are always fine under any conditions. No need to fit an oil cooler.
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
RayR

Post by RayR »

I think it depends on what you call any conditions, did you try sitting in traffic for an hour with 45C outside temperature? When I lived in Phoenix this was a not uncommon case. Personally I found the standard system was OK up to about 40C if in good condition, but after that it could not maintain normal temps in traffic. Anything that helps the system should help to move up the critical temperature, I also have a larger sump as well as remote oil cooler and remote transmission cooler which all help to some degree, I guess it would depend on which upgrades you want to do and keep the rest of the system in good condition.
MkIII Interceptor (140 8488)
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

It also seems to vary from car to car, I have see 440s as they left the factory that struggle to get above half and others that will be close to the red 15 mins after starting on a cool day.

Water flow, air flow and gaskets that allow a free flow of the coolant and oil flow to all the right places is the key.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Roh

Post by Roh »

I have experience with the sandwich type that incorporate a thermostat. On my Fairmont the oil cooler was placed in front of the radiator (which had thermofans) and my open wheeler has the oil cooler placed at the exit of a ground affect sidepod.

I don't know if an oil cooler will help that much at idle, but they make a substantial difference at a race track.
1964 Jensen CV-8 II

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”