Carter AFB restoration

Mopar Big Block Talk
Terdu

Carter AFB restoration

Post by Terdu »

Hi all,

As part of my efforts to bring back my car to factory original, I sourced a correct 4131s Carter. As can be expected, it badly needed an overhaul, and I decided I'd try my hand at a full strip and restoration rebuild. Just wanted to share my experiences along the way. Also wanted to share the amazing results one can get from vapor blasting (wet blastin) in case not everyone has used this yet.
The linkages are being plated, and the fasteners are on order, so reassembly should start soon.

Process so far: Stripping of every component, removal of aluminium cleaning plugs, ultrasonic bath to clean all orifices, then a vapor blast cleaning.
before-after-two.png
before-after-two.png (503.21 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
before-after-one.png
before-after-one.png (915.98 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
Any hints and suggestions? I think i'm keeping the jets and metering rods as per OEM for now. New thermostatic choke and choke-pull-off are to be installed. I appreciate that it can be a lot easier and reliable if I'd upgrade to electric choke etc, but my goal is originality.. That will include cussing at the car when its flooded or won't start when cold :).
Found a Vignale built LHD MK1 in South Africa, Sincar #15, chassis 117/2592.
On a long and winding road to restore it back to original condition. :shock:
Mike L

Re: Carter AFB restoration

Post by Mike L »

Original is the way to go. It's looking great!
CV8 MK1 104/2004
CV8 MK1 104/2035
Jensen Healey 1110/14162
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Great outcome by the looks of it.

Both of my Jensen's are running fine on original Carter carbs.
Terdu

Post by Terdu »

And she's done. One original 1966 Carter AFB restored, and looking better than it ever did I guess. Shame it hides underneath the air filter :shock: How is it I only realise that now.. my OCD is getting out of hand guys, please help.

Also found a NOS Carter thermostatic choke, nice little detail to get right.
4131s B6 tags.jpg
4131s B6 tags.jpg (64.44 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Top view after.jpg
Top view after.jpg (128.98 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Top closed after.jpg
Top closed after.jpg (103 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (97.72 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (103.73 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
MFD BY CARTER.jpg
MFD BY CARTER.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Beautiful job JasperImage, it's very satisfying having OCD..it gives you a good feeling when you do stuff like this..it is nearly impossible to find people to do any sort of work for you to this level..There aren't many people you can employ with such finesse , well I have always struggled..everything |I ever get done or get people to do for me it is just never quite good enough they want to cut an unecessary corner :evil:
Well done JasperImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Terdu

Post by Terdu »

Absolutely right Grant. Also, the tinkering is one of the most enjoyable aspects of these kind of cars for me. Getting everything as close to 100% as you can, no effort spared.
I've had a few years of working on my cars only in the midst of night and late in weekends, when my boy and girl were born. Now that they're a little more independent (3+yrs) I can do a bit more hobbying, but time is always a challenge indeed.
On to the next thing! (hint, I took the rear view mirror apart... )
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Terdu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:12 am I took the rear view mirror apart... )
a few photos here that might help. https://www.joc.org.uk/Interceptor_Mk_1 ... 2.html#142
Terdu

Post by Terdu »

Steve, already had downloaded all your pictures! In fact, it was the inspiration to do the job in the first place. Would love to restore the local switch functionality as well, while the surround is getting re-chromed. How have you attached the light bulb holder to the 'chassis' of the mirror? Didn't see any pictures of how you did that.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I know DPP done 3 of these lovely old mirrors recently..I think from memory he struggled to find a replacement switch and not sure if he even got one in the endImage..These mirror are lovely and I did buy 2 replacement mirror glass's from somewhere over-here that had a template from previous replacement glass's from someone on the Forum here..It was Taximan but I am not sure he frequents the forum anymore..but I guess in this day and age Jasper anyone could scan the old glass and CNC cut you a new one..lovely old Mirrors..sadly years ago when we all wanted the later mirrors and lter model bits on our cars I ditched an old oneImage..a sad memory looking back now..and I also got rid of a good set of old Chrome Rostyles into a skip!!..Hindsight..a really annoying thing is that!!!Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
SRD

Post by SRD »

Wonderful end result, the carb looks fabulous

Who did you use for the vapor blasting ?
Terdu

Post by Terdu »

Local guy in South Africa, he's running a garage based business to ultrasonically clean and vapor blast parts for rebuilds and restorations. Cheap too :-D
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Terdu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:05 am Steve, already had downloaded all your pictures! In fact, it was the inspiration to do the job in the first place. Would love to restore the local switch functionality as well, while the surround is getting re-chromed. How have you attached the light bulb holder to the 'chassis' of the mirror? Didn't see any pictures of how you did that.

sorry Jasper

neither of us can remember but Mike thinks it might have been riveted
johnw

Post by johnw »

That really is amazing work Jasper. The detail on the fasteners, those cheese head screws and the replating, especially the mixture screws and springs is amazing. Hard to believe they are not new. Were you able to reuse the old aluminium plugs? Did they come out easily or did you need to make new ones?
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Terdu

Post by Terdu »

Hi John, the aluminium plugs were most definitly destroyed during the removal process. I bought a new set from mikes carburator parts in the US, where I also bought the rebuild kit (floats, gaskets, etc). It's a useless labor of love, but I really enjoyed doing it. Never rebuilt a carb before, as I'm from the EFI generation, but its a nice way to familiarise myself with how a carb works and is to be adjusted.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Terdu wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:28 am Hi John, the aluminium plugs were most definitly destroyed during the removal process. I bought a new set from mikes carburator parts in the US, where I also bought the rebuild kit (floats, gaskets, etc). It's a useless labor of love, but I really enjoyed doing it. Never rebuilt a carb before, as I'm from the EFI generation, but its a nice way to familiarise myself with how a carb works and is to be adjusted.
Thanks for that. What a selection of spares! These are great carbs to rebuild and setup. We are so lucky them having brass floats, leather, rather than the brittle rotting plastic or decaying rubber. Nice to see that they sell float needles with Viton tips now too! Fantastic technical section, I have downloaded the rebuild kit instructions, which has been updated to say that WD40 reacts with ethanol, so don't spray it near your carb!

I don't think you will have problems starting when the car is setup. The early 383 is a great starter. After a long time parked, crank it over without touching the throttle until you see the oil pressure needle move, by then the mechanical pump should have put enough fuel in the float bowls to get a good start.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”