Torqueflite cable very stiff

Mopar Big Block Talk
Giles

Torqueflite cable very stiff

Post by Giles »

My CV8 II has not run for a long time. The column-mounted gear lever is very stiff, needs 2 hands to change gear and so much pressure it seems like something is about to break. Can anyone advise how to free it?
Many thanks, Giles
Dino Fritz

Re: Torqueflite cable very stiff

Post by Dino Fritz »

I'd actually recommend disconnecting the entire cable from the selector and the trans and checking that the cable itself moves freely - on an Interceptor, the cables have solid rods on each end which sometimes bend, and are responsible for them binding. If this is the problem, just re-straighten each end, then re-connect and re-adjust if necessary.
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
Giles

Post by Giles »

Thanks Dino.
CV8 Mk2
Giles

Post by Giles »

Does anyone know a supplier where I can get a new torqueflite cable for CV8? Presume it's the same as interceptor??
CV8 Mk2
johnw

Post by johnw »

I think your best bet is freeing off the cable. It is not going to be the same as an Interceptor as the Interceptor one is about 25cm long. I would suggest removing the cable, hanging it up vertically, and dripping oil through the inside of the cable, until it comes out at the other end, then working the cable back and forth to remove rust build up inside, then rinse out with clutch cleaner spray, let dry overnight and re oil before refitting. You can make a funnel to hold the oil at the top end from plasticine, or maybe blue tac. It can take a couple of days or longer for the oil to reach the other end in extreme cases.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Giles

Post by Giles »

As an update, it wasn't the cable... While looking where to remove it, I saw a small assembly of pins washers and pressings joining the lugs off the column shift shaft to the cable. Completely hidden behind pipes and looms. 5 minutes in the darkness with plus-gas and levering the shift back and forwards and it freed completely. I still don't really know what I did but it worked...
Must remember to replace the plus-gas with oil at some stage.
CV8 Mk2

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”