Is my car unique, or.... (Alternator Removal)

Mopar Big Block Talk
RockyUSA

Is my car unique, or.... (Alternator Removal)

Post by RockyUSA »

It's a long story, but.....

I needed to get my alternator out for some checks.

Is it really true that you have to drain the cooling system to get the alternator off?

Maybe my "extended hose barb" interferes with the alternator stabilizer bracket, but....

It was a huge PIA to get the alternator out. There are about 6 independent parts (Block mount, threaded shaft, alternator stabilizer, three holed arm mount, alternator adjustment arm) that all must be removed / installed in sequence, with a whole bunch of washers / spacers to make everything line up. And then threading in that threaded shaft to the correct depth was a big PIA, because I did it with the alternator hanging on it, and it didn't want to turn....

Some of the bolts seem to go into the engine block, like the two on the heads, and the two on the waterpump housing.

I can't believe this is either a Mopar, or a Jensen design. It is terrible from a maintenance perspective.

Luckily my motor is (currently) filled up with water, not $20 worth of coolant.

Anyway - I will look in my Maintenance Manual, but I am sure my previous owner did not fab up this design.

Just venting - I solved my alternator problem.

I am running the stock '72 Alternator (P/N 3xxxxxxx - can't remember).

Note:

- The "Field +" is the spade lug closest to the Main Power Tap. This one goes to the Ballast Resistor Poser Source, and the Center Lug of the voltage regulator.
Attachments
IMG_9294 (Large).JPG
IMG_9294 (Large).JPG (130.27 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Twright55

Re: Is my car unique, or.... (Alternator Removal)

Post by Twright55 »

Sounds a bit like mine, although I didn't have to drain my coolant to get it off or on.
As you know, we have some of the very first 440 equipped cars. I came to the conclusion that some of the brackets were designed for the 383 and then modified to work for the 440, thus they are a little 'funky'...but they work.
Jensen Interceptor III, H series
133/5832
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

That black bracket in the picture is a Jensen made part. Not original Mopar. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Grant

Post by Grant »

I think you will find that it should have been a long bolt in through the Alternator and the support bracket and then into the head "Chuck My Ole Fruit Bat".. if it had been then you could have easily removed the Alternator.. but, obviously not the support bracket, but that could have stayed in situ whilst removing the Alt, and of course would have been fine unless you were putting a different Alt back on, in which case then yes you would have to unscrew the barb.. It is my guess that someone has put that long threaded rod on there with a nut on the end making it very difficult to remove the Alt as you say, The bolt that I think should have been in there is used on 383's and is a very long shouldered bolt, I should image someone maybe lost it or broke it or something and couldn't get a replacement very easily and so used that threaded rod...Of course I could be wrong but I have never seen a threaded rod in that position before :? .. I could be wrong though as most of Jensen experience is with 383's and only a few 440's ChuckyBoy :P .. Can't you put the nut back on and mig it to the threaded rod and then unscrew it?.. it would make it easier for the future.. Anyway.. get that old mopar Alt off and replace it with a nice Mitsubishi high output on idle Alternator.. plenty about it on the forum here and you would never look back :wink:.. Good Night Chuck Son :D :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Rocky It looks like you have a double belt alternator but only one belt groove on the bottom drive pulley. Whats up with that? Do you have the Chrysler V type compressor or the square York compressor like my car? :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Hi Grant -

I might have used the wrong term.

The shaft is not fully threaded down it's length, just on either end. So my PO didn't use a piece of all-thread - it seems like it's made to screw into the bracket on the block, and then a nut secures everyting (bracket, alternator, etc.) together. It seems the tension on the nut pulls the inner thread together, so the shaft doesn't back out...

SC1 -

This is the Chrysler 3755357 alternator, and somewhere (I can't find it now) - someone on the inter-webs ID'ed this part number as a 1972 model, that came stock with the double pulley. It's fine with me (having two sheaves). I have removed my AC compressor (temporarily) - normally, I run a much longer belt that drives both the alternator pulley and the A/C Compressor.

The one I took out was a Tecumsha (or whatever). It was the old school, stock 50lb piston driven compressor. If / when I put something back in, it will be a Sanden rotary.

Thanks.

As far as changing to a higher output alternator.... Yeah, maybe I should, but.... This project has been such an A$$ pain, that now that it's back running - I'm gonna just let it go as it is.... Until the alternator craps out, when I'm running my fans, headlights, stereo and my new driving lights at the same time!

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Rocky that alternator is correct for Mopar cars from 1072 as they did not use the square compressor like our cars came with. That set up was made by Jensen. All of the factory AC Mopar's had the V type compressor and double belts. They all used the standard alternator as there were no electric fans and not much additional drain with the AC on. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Grant

Post by Grant »

I understand what you are saying Chuck..but more to the point than being shouldered rod.. if it was a long bolt you could remove it to get the alternator off.. but.. thinking back I have to remove the fan cowling to get my long bolt out of the alternator.. but I have modified with another alternator, not sure if that is the reason why I struggle with that long boltImage
You will notice that cars using the York square pump (rather than the later double belt V type pump) runs wider "V" single belts, and also therefore the pulleys are wider including the crank pulley.. if you mix and match pulleys and belts you get fast excessive wear on belts forever tightening them causing lots of belt dust in the bay. worth remember that when swapping alternators and AC pumps.. keep all pulleys wide or narrowImage.. ask me how I know!! :lol:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

As I am getting to the end of this 3 month project - I think I'll let well enough alone.

This was one of those "slippery slope" type of efforts, I never thought I would be pulling my heads, let alone doing all this work (at the end) on my alternator.

It's Spring Time here - I plan to drive it for a while!

Again - thanks for the info.

Rocky
Engine Bay
Engine Bay
IMG_1018 (Large).JPG (211.29 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
PS> Grant - I probably could have removed my fan (three screws), but it never dawned on me that I would need to do that...
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Jon H

Post by Jon H »

Hi Rocky,

I spotted your 440 4 barrel air cleaner decal. I got one from Classic Industries last time I was at Huntington Beach but I chickened out fitting it because I thought it may suffer from the under hood heat with it only being a vinyl decal. Is yours the vinyl type and have you noticed any effects from heat.
Nice looking engine bay by the way.

Regards,

Jon
J.O.C. Member 10151.
It's taken 40 years + but I have my Interceptor at last!
MkIII J Series 2240 9277
Grant

Post by Grant »

Jon H wrote:Hi Rocky,

I spotted your 440 4 barrel air cleaner decal. I got one from Classic Industries last time I was at Huntington Beach but I chickened out fitting it because I thought it may suffer from the under hood heat with it only being a vinyl decal. Is yours the vinyl type and have you noticed any effects from heat.
Nice looking engine bay by the way.Regards,Jon
John.. now you have one that is no doubt a special to you as you got it from the states etc.. why don't you just have it replicated down at the local sign shop, then stick the replicated one on and see how it stands up under there :P .. At least yoy will still have your original one.. keep under the bed.. that's where I keep my six pack and carb collections :D
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Hi Jon -

If yours is original, then you should listen to Grant.

Mine is on a foil-like material.

It was one of the first things I got when I bought my Interceptor in about 2016. It has held up very well.

I don’t think the cars came like this, but I like the look...

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Grant

Post by Grant »

RockyUSA wrote:Hi Jon -

If yours is original, then you should listen to Grant.

Mine is on a foil-like material.

It was one of the first things I got when I bought my Interceptor in about 2016. It has held up very well.

I don’t think the cars came like this, but I like the look...

Rocky
I've always liked those 440 4 barrel stickers too.. they're really cool :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Jon H

Post by Jon H »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the posts. I have seen the foil type decals for sale somewhere on the internet since I bought mine and I thought at the time that they might be more durable than the vinyl ones. I think I paid about $6 for mine and the foil ones were about $20 plus another $20 or so shipping. As you say Grant, I might be able to get a copy made here in the foil material. Not for the purists but a real talking point when you open the hood up.

Thanks again and stay well,

Jon
J.O.C. Member 10151.
It's taken 40 years + but I have my Interceptor at last!
MkIII J Series 2240 9277
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Grant wrote:keep under the bed.. that's where I keep my six pack and carb collections :D
Like the Princess and the flipping pea. How many mattresses do you need before you can't feel the six pack sticking into your backside?
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”