440 rebuild coming along

Mopar Big Block Talk
Hangtowner

440 rebuild coming along

Post by Hangtowner »

Local guru, Mopar Steve has installed the rotating assembly into my original block. Here are the new rods and pistons. I think they are beautiful. Lunati cam is next. Then the Ebrock Performer Plus heads. The heads had a lot of casting flash and burrs. I spent about 4 hours per head on the clean up. I returned the Performer heads.. They looked worse deburring and flash wise and the ports had no machining. I just happened that Summit had a sale so the upgrade only cost $200. Per Desktop Dyno, I should get 400 hp which is short of my goal of 440 hp and 17 mpg. Mopar Steve says I will make the 440 hp.
new pistons and Eagle rods.jpg
new pistons and Eagle rods.jpg (124.39 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
We will see what the chassis dyno says later at carb dial in time.
money_one_four

Re: 440 rebuild coming along

Post by money_one_four »

Those pistons look lovely, was the summit sale for seven or eight pistons :D good luck with the project.
CHEERS BE LUCKY ALAN
Jensen 111/440/1317 /OAR 298P
Jaguar 420G
Jaguar Sovereign v8
Winnebago M/H
Bob60

Post by Bob60 »

Timely post – I literally just came from meeting with my engine builder discussing the new engine I am planning for my ’73 Mk3. We are planning on using the Edlebrock aluminum heads. He has used a number of sets and has always been satisfied. I might mention that the only thing this person does is big block MOPARs.

Would be interested in knowing a bit more about your decision to return the heads, and exactly what you are using.

Thanks,
Bob
’73 Mk 3
Hangtowner

Post by Hangtowner »

Since the RPM heads have partially machined ports, I thought there would be less flash, burrs and roughness for me to clean up by hand. Since there was a sale, the upgrade to the RPM heads only cost about $200 or maybe it was nothing. When I got the RPM heads, there was still a lot of deburring that I felt should be done even though it is all covered by the valve covers. Even with the partially machined ports, I smoothed out the as cast portion of the exhaust ports quite a bit and left the intakes alone.

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”