Proform Parts Dizzy Fitting

Mopar Big Block Talk
TimdlF

Proform Parts Dizzy Fitting

Post by TimdlF »

Hi All,
New member here, first post, first question. can you help please? I'm helping a friend rebuild a 1969 interceptor FF. No spark so he has bought a Proform Parts electronic Dizzy from Martin Robey and I'm doing the fitting. There is some quite convoluted wiring that needs to be done via the ballast resistor and some instructions that could be clearer. One side of the resistor is wired to the +ive side of the coil together with a common line to 'S' START and the other side of the resistor is wired to the new ECU and to 'R' RUN. I have interpreted the S to mean the red/white wire in the starter relay and the R to mean the switched power lead to the resistor. However, when wired like this, when the engine is cranked over and the key then turned off the engine keeps cranking until the battery is disconnected. Also still no spark.

Martin Robey can't offer any technical advice and the manufacturer doesn't know Jensens. Does anyone have any experience of fitting these units or can anyone offer any advice. At the moment I'm a bit stumped !

Regards

Tim
Joe Schiavone

Re: Proform Parts Dizzy Fitting

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Tell the manufacture you have mopar
johnw

Post by johnw »

TimdlF wrote:Hi All,
New member here, first post, first question. can you help please? I'm helping a friend rebuild a 1969 interceptor FF. No spark so he has bought a Proform Parts electronic Dizzy from Martin Robey and I'm doing the fitting. There is some quite convoluted wiring that needs to be done via the ballast resistor and some instructions that could be clearer. One side of the resistor is wired to the +ive side of the coil together with a common line to 'S' START and the other side of the resistor is wired to the new ECU and to 'R' RUN. I have interpreted the S to mean the red/white wire in the starter relay and the R to mean the switched power lead to the resistor. However, when wired like this, when the engine is cranked over and the key then turned off the engine keeps cranking until the battery is disconnected. Also still no spark.

Martin Robey can't offer any technical advice and the manufacturer doesn't know Jensens. Does anyone have any experience of fitting these units or can anyone offer any advice. At the moment I'm a bit stumped !

Regards

Tim
I can help you with the old Dizzy. It is a piece of cake to get a spark from that. A crocodile clip on the +ve terminal hooked to 12v usually gets it sparking. Forget the ballast resistor until you get it started. You can put the condenser between the + and - on the coil at a push. Ground the -ve coil terminal and check for a spark as you pull off. Then spin the old dizzy and check the points earth the black wire with a multimeter or bulb. If all that works you should be good to start spark wise.

I googled what you bought, and it seems to be a licensed copy of the Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit from the 9Os, with an orange box. I have actually fitted one of those to an FF, and it worked well in terms of cold starts, the car was a lot more difficult to flood. I prefer a well set up mechanical one for a standard unmodified motor but that is a discrete modification.

There will be lots of wiring diagrams for that on the net. Google "Mopar orange box ignition". From what I remember it takes its 12V from the coil +ve, a -ve to earth, then all the wires in that kit plug into each other, and the distributor triggers the orange box which presumably controls the earth to the coil. There should be a wiring harness in the kit. It is all a lot simpler than it looks, but nothing is as simple as the original outfit, so I would be tempted to get that going first. Whatever you do, keep the old FF points distributor if you have it as it has different strength centrifugal springs fitted by the boys at Jensen. A nice keepsake.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

TimdlF wrote:I'm helping a friend rebuild a 1969 interceptor FF
What are you rebuilding? An Interceptor (2 wheel drive) or an FF (4 wheel drive with ABS)?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
johnw

Post by johnw »

Chris_R wrote:
TimdlF wrote:I'm helping a friend rebuild a 1969 interceptor FF
What are you rebuilding? An Interceptor (2 wheel drive) or an FF (4 wheel drive with ABS)?
What we really would like to know is the chassis number! :D
TimdlF

Post by TimdlF »

Joe,John and Chris,
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look on the net and see if I can't get it sorted out as per the MOPAR solution. I'm helping a friend with the wiring of the dizzy but I'll get the chassis number and report back. It's an FF - 1969. Appreciate the support. We are struggling with it.

Regards

Tim
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

ballast%20resistor.jpg
ballast%20resistor.jpg (58.08 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
johnw

Post by johnw »

Brilliant Peter. That makes sense.

We'd still like to know shour chassis number though Tim.
I have owned a lot of FFs and might know this actual car.

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”