Valley Pan

Mopar Big Block Talk
Frank Schwartz

Valley Pan

Post by Frank Schwartz »

On my 73 MKIII I have had some leaks onto the valley pan and oil collecting under the intake manifold. I removed everything and after cleaning up all the head faces, I find that years ago I had to fabricate a small plate to cover the area of the exhaust crossover that the valley pan did not reach. I have looked high and low and cannot find a valley pan that is high enough in the center to cover this area and surmise that I will have to use those old tin plates to cover this area. I will take a picture shortly and one can see what I am talking about if I have not been clear. Has anyone encountered this...that is: the valley pan does not cover part of the exhaust channel and a home made plate has to be used.
All this is if one is using or not using the crossover to preheat the fuel entering the manifold..the area above it is exposed and required the tin plate I mentioned. Difficult to explain, but hopefully I have made it fairly clear....

Thanks,
Frank
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
Frank Schwartz

Re: Valley Pan

Post by Frank Schwartz »

Here is a picture of the rounded part of what I think is the exhaust ...and the valley pan does not cover it...strange...also the blue towel inside the engine is to keep bits and pieces from falling in there.... Years and years ago, I cut out the valley pan to fit a bit of tin I used to cover this...I am assuming this is what I am going to continue to do???
Frank

Note: Second picture is the old pan with the cutout and the insert...I am assuming I am gong to have to use this again???
Attachments
PB020075.JPG
PB020075.JPG (200.64 KiB) Viewed 17435 times
PB020074.JPG
PB020074.JPG (204.48 KiB) Viewed 17435 times
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
Frank Schwartz

Post by Frank Schwartz »

pictures reversed...first is the old pan with the insert and second showing that area that an original style pan does not cover...
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

the valley pan does cover the outside radius of the heat cross over port all that I do is cut out a piece of aluminium the exact size of the port and knock it in with some jb weld/mixable metal and seal it up put the valley gasket in with well seal around the ports and silicone front and back in moderation job done, no need to cut that valley as you did in a past life, you do not need to cover that sort of horse shoe shape the upper part above the cross over port,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Frank Schwartz

Post by Frank Schwartz »

I am confused...if I do not cover the top of that "U" shape, won't exhaust gasses be coming out???
And I am also confused as to your suggestions of JB Weld and a cut piece of tin...please elaborate on this.
Thank you
Frank
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
Frank Schwartz

Post by Frank Schwartz »

Also the valley pan comes with two sets of gaskets for top and bottom of the pan edges for installation...Do you use these? Or do you feel that they are superfluous?
Frank
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Hello Frank no exhaust gasses from the upper u shape area you can leave that open, I do not use the gaskets never have issues using well seal and just the tin valley pan, just cut a template of the small cross over port in card then make from tin or ally sheet glue it in around its outer edges with jb weld or similar hope u understand
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
DaveV8

Post by DaveV8 »

FEL-1215 is the gasket that blocks the heat crossover ,Do not block the cavity above it
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Mopar valley pan gasket looks like this - has cutouts for the crossover ports.
mopar valley gasket.jpg
mopar valley gasket.jpg (281.99 KiB) Viewed 17309 times
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Grant

Post by Grant »

FrankImage
The FEL-1215 will block the heat cross over and that what it is designed for and won't cover the horseshoe cavityImage, see a pic here Frank >>>
>>>
FEL-1215.jpg
FEL-1215.jpg (144.26 KiB) Viewed 17291 times
>>>>
Don't block the horseshoe cavity above though Frank as there are 2 exhaust valves next to each-other in the middle of the heads and therefore a lot of heat in one area,.. You may be lucky but that blank you put in it originally looks like it did blank off the horseshoe you would likely to crack the heads!!Image
I was told this by a very wise man who has messed around with Mopars for yearsImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Frank Schwartz

Post by Frank Schwartz »

Great! That is what I was wanting to know and finally someone had the answers. I have that valley pan that was just shown and now I can get on with my putting things back together...
Most grateful for all the responses...thanks again Jensenites.
Frank
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

Hi Frank - we met in North Carolina last year.

Many happy returns for your recent birthday; I hope to be half as active as you are if/when I am lucky enough to be a little older.

Hope the valley pan reassembly goes well!
Chris L
J-H Mk1 11327
GT 30305
Perth, Australia

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”