The Jensen Owners' Club A technical and discussion forum for all Jensen enthusiasts It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:09 pm

V-8 Engine Tech

Non starting MK1 383

Mopar Big Block Talk

by money_one_four » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:00 am

I fully agree with Chris that the original starters don’t sound very fast , when I first got my car it sounded like a WW11 Spitfire trying to start but none the less still managed to fire up , a new battery improved things but I kept the starter and works fine.
CHEERS BE LUCKY ALAN
Jensen 111/440/1317 /OAR 298P
Jaguar 420G
Jaguar Sovereign v8
Winnebago M/H
money_one_four

by johnw » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 pm

money_one_four wrote:when I first got my car it sounded like a WW11 Spitfire trying to start but none the less still managed to fire up , a new battery improved things but I kept the starter and works fine.

Same here. I do like that noise, and from cold the chugging priming the mechanical fuel pump gives the oil pressure time to build up before it eventually fires. It starts a bit quicker when hot.
--
John Wild
johnw

by Grant » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:17 pm

I have always loved the slow churning of a V8 Mopar then the burst into life, as is all I remember from those early years.. I refuse to have a fast-wind starter just for that reason :P
Manual Int & Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Grant

by Chris_R » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:42 pm

The original starters are direct drive. I think most of the lighter weight "fast wind" starters are gear reduction with a ratio of between 3.8 and 4.4 to 1 which is why the motor can be smaller and lighter but also meaning that although the starter whirs away nice and fast, maybe 4 times faster, the output gear turning the engine may not be turning much faster (if any faster) than the direct drive starter.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

by money_one_four » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:55 am

Lukey reading your post on rotor arm position it would seem it is pointing at number 8 and not 1 move the plug leads round one anti-clockwise and see if it fires then .
CHEERS BE LUCKY ALAN
Jaguar 420G
Jaguar Sovereign v8
Winnebago M/H
money_one_four

by slotcarone » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am

Chris_R wrote:The original starters are direct drive. I think most of the lighter weight "fast wind" starters are gear reduction with a ratio of between 3.8 and 4.4 to 1 which is why the motor can be smaller and lighter but also meaning that although the starter whirs away nice and fast, maybe 4 times faster, the output gear turning the engine may not be turning much faster (if any faster) than the direct drive starter.

Chris the original starters are gear reduction also. That is why the engine spins over slowly even when everything is working properly. Nice thing a out working on Mopar's is that they all take the same starter! :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
slotcarone

by Steve Payne » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:52 am

money_one_four wrote:Lukey reading your post on rotor arm position it would seem it is pointing at number 8 and not 1 move the plug leads round one anti-clockwise and see if it fires then .

This is the reason I suggested the distributor was rotated while the key was being turned. One tooth out on the distributor drive and it will never fire. Rotate the distributor as the key is turned one way then the other, it can be way off but and as long as the leads are in the correct order it will eventually fire up.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

by money_one_four » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi Steve agree with you there , just easier to move the leads if you’re working on your own . If we are all reading this correctly from the point of view the rotor arm is pointing just passed the clip in an anti clock wise direction then he has to be firing on number 8 by the lay out of his leads ,let’s hope this is the problem.
CHEERS BE LUCKY ALAN
Jaguar 420G
Jaguar Sovereign v8
Winnebago M/H
money_one_four

by money_one_four » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Oh well no news is good news so they say ?
CHEERS BE LUCKY ALAN
Jaguar 420G
Jaguar Sovereign v8
Winnebago M/H
money_one_four

by lukey » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Unfortunately there’s been a lot of Illnesses in the family over the last few weeks, with my granddad being rushed into hospital and I’m only just getting over something myself.. there’s even been a death in the family that’s hit us all hard.. so hopeful we will get back to work on the car by the end of the week, to take our minds off things if nothing else, we need to fit the new start motor and fuel pump.. after sending the video to Andy at apple Yard, he and his guys looked at the video and said without any doubt the start motor was definitely the biggest issues that they could see, physically not turning fast enough to start the car..
Luke
Interceptor MK1... 115/2924
lukey

Previous

Return to V-8 Engine Tech