power steering problem

Mopar Big Block Talk
kenny38

power steering problem

Post by kenny38 »

Went for a 500 K roundtrip recently. (got 13 miles to gallon overall but VERY windy. However car felt a bit unsteady at times and i put this down to wind shear. however when i gpot home I twisted the steering wheel to it's limit both ways and got some forcible "kicking". Opening up the oil container I did find that oil was quiet low so I filled near to brim and then tried again. Kicking back was not as much but still there. Do I need a new pump? Where do I get one? Are there mattresses on sale at "huge discounts" in your area's. Am doing a PHd on this matter. Kenny 38 8)
DPP

Re: power steering problem

Post by DPP »

If you have lost a lot of ps fluid then you may need to bleed the system, this is very easy just leave the engine idling and turn steering form lock to lock a few times. I find it easier to lift front of car..
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi DPP. Wheeled the car out, my wife lifted the front for me and I did what you suggested. moved the wheel over and back again for 5 mins. Forgot wife was holding the car front up. Anyway it seems to have worked. Might have a small rack leak. Missus was a bloody nuisance complaining about back pain during 14th repeat of Midsomer Murders. You know the one where they have a church in it. Thanks for advice. Now I know she can lift front of car i may get an engine rebuild. Won't need a crane etc. Kenny38 8)
Frank Schwartz

Post by Frank Schwartz »

Take a look at that small rubber tube that runs from one end of the rack to the other. It gets brittle after thirty or forty years or so. I used some of the yellow plastic fuel line the lawnmower shops sell...flexible, and doesn't crack etc..

Frank
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
Frank Schwartz

Post by Frank Schwartz »

P.S. an afterthought...you might consider entering the wife in the weightlifting Olympics, you know..
Frank
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
Frank Schwartz

Post by Frank Schwartz »

One more thing (Great Scot..does this man ever shut up??) If you fill the p/s pump up to the brim..when the stuff gets hot, it is going to spill out all over the front cross member...cold level of the fluid in the pump should be about three fingers more or less high..if that makes sense.
Regards,
Frank
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
money_one_four

Post by money_one_four »

kenny38 wrote:Hi DPP. Wheeled the car out, my wife lifted the front for me and I did what you suggested. moved the wheel over and back again for 5 mins. Forgot wife was holding the car front up. Anyway it seems to have worked. Might have a small rack leak. Missus was a bloody nuisance complaining about back pain during 14th repeat of Midsomer Murders. You know the one where they have a church in it. Thanks for advice. Now I know she can lift front of car i may get an engine rebuild. Won't need a crane etc. Kenny38 8)
Why on earth would you be bothering about the power steering when you have a wife as strong as that ? Just let her drive problem solved :D
CHEERS BE LUCKY ALAN
Jensen 111/440/1317 /OAR 298P
Jaguar 420G
Jaguar Sovereign v8
Winnebago M/H

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”