440 Head Removal

Mopar Big Block Talk
esse1

440 Head Removal

Post by esse1 »

I cannot separate the head from the block no matter how much I lever or hammer.
All 17 bolts are out and the engine is still in the car.

Any suggestions please guys? I'm rapidly running out of hair :x
Interceptor III
128-8018
JOC Member 9685
cannonball

Re: 440 Head Removal

Post by cannonball »

esse1 wrote:I cannot separate the head from the block no matter how much I lever or hammer.
All 17 bolts are out and the engine is still in the car.

Any suggestions please guys? I'm rapidly running out of hair :x
you must have a bolt in still those heads never and i mean never stick on,putyour 1/2 cracking handle inside one of the ports and pull
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
esse1

Post by esse1 »

Thanks cannonball

All 17 head bolts are out and the head won't budge. I had the same problem with an XJ12 I had years ago and I made a puller for that so perhaps I'll have to do the same here :?
Interceptor III
128-8018
JOC Member 9685
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

esse1 wrote:Thanks cannonball

All 17 head bolts are out and the head won't budge. I had the same problem with an XJ12 I had years ago and I made a puller for that so perhaps I'll have to do the same here :?

You really will not have to those jag mtrs get stuck on the head studs ally/steel not a good combo the ally grows around the steel head stud seriously put a right big chunky bar in one of the ports and pull like flower just have someone there to catch you and the head when it flys up never fails,, or a big crow bar burgler bar and lever off the front edge of the block under the head edge it will lift good luck
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
esse1

Post by esse1 »

Finally got one head off. My father in law made up a tool to fit at the front of the head between block and protuding ledge on head and by turning a nut it pushed the front of the head up.

Worked well in the end but it took all of our strength on the end of a 10" crescent to get it to budge. It didn't just pop off once the seal was broken but a gap slowly widened until enough to get a bar between block and head to prise off.

On inspection it would appear it was the gasket from hell that just didn't want to part company with head or block. Almost as if it were superglued on.

Not sure how /If you can tell but father in law who is a retired mechanic thought it look like head had never been off before?
Interceptor III
128-8018
JOC Member 9685
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

If you know an accomplished Metal man and you have a very good long barrel air impact gun with a hammer face. You can place the hammer face against the head and control the-impact and vibrate the head loose. RacerJoe
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

If you know an accomplished Metal man and you have a very good long barrel air impact gun with a hammer face. You can place the hammer face against the head and control the-impact and vibrate the head loose. RacerJoe
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Sorry as Grant noted I often do not look at the posting Date. Possibly you can log in the process in your mental tool box RacerJoe

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”