Mk3 Fuel Filter location

Mopar Big Block Talk
johnw

Mk3 Fuel Filter location

Post by johnw »

I have been working on a US Spec Mk3 440. The fuel filter is attached to the bottom of the fuel pump with a bracket, and the output of the pump is filtered before being fed into the carb. Is this the stock setup on a Mk3? I am used to the filter being inline before the pump on earlier cars.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Frank Schwartz

Re: Mk3 Fuel Filter location

Post by Frank Schwartz »

On my MKIII the filter is mounted along the frame rail a few feet before it is fed into the pump.... Have you looked up under there?
Frank
1973 MKIII Interceptor
140/5975
johnw

Post by johnw »

Frank Schwartz wrote:On my MKIII the filter is mounted along the frame rail a few feet before it is fed into the pump.... Have you looked up under there?
Frank
I haven't looked there. I didn't expect there to be two. Your description fits the Mk1's location. Is yours a 383?
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Is that possibly the vapor separator?

I thought those were stock on the Mopar motors.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

OBTW: A stock Mopar vapor separator is about $100 if you can find one. It includes a filter function, as I predict SC1 will point out! :D

note these pix are from the interwebs, and not off my car....
Description
Description
Mechanical_Fuel_Pump_Configuration_BB_Chrysler_02.jpg (197.85 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
Photo
Photo
Mechanical_Fuel_Pump_Configuration_BB_Chrysler_01.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
Last edited by RockyUSA on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

The part next to the fuel pump that has a line on each end and the smaller one on the side is also a fuel filter. A very common part on most Mopars of this era. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
johnw

Post by johnw »

Thanks both of you. So that is exactly what it is, a stock fuel separator setup more or less like that. I suppose we can't effectively clean the filter in it. Hopefully it is clean enough in there. The bracket and pump is slightly different to the photo, more like the setup in the manual, although higher up that seems to be feeding a dual quad setup! 8)

We are after the lower "Fuel Supply Tube" detailed on the diagram. In fact all the pipework would be nice. Does anyone sell the pipework premade? I have a brake pipe flaring kit, but never used it to make steel fuel pipes. I have seen that Jegs sell some premade pipes, but they were for earlier cars without a vapour separator.
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

My bet I that you are going to have to bend it yourself. I only have this as a historical reference - I don't have a separator like this. Shouldn't be too bad if you can bend and flare the tube out of the car, just takes some practice. Good Luck.

My guess is that this isn't the "primary" fuel filter - I would hope there is one downstream, as well.

Since you have this expensive vapor separator, it seems only logical you will want to go with a Dual Quad setup - if only for the "bench racing" factor!

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

I have something different on my Interceptor. It may have been done by the previous owner. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

I believe possibly the vapor separator may be he big black container on the right side behind the head lamps. No fuel filter in that black canaster. May be wrong. RacerJoe

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”