Replacement of Power Steering Pump

Mopar Big Block Talk
elemgee

Replacement of Power Steering Pump

Post by elemgee »

Hi. I've got a 1974 Jensen Interceptor III with a leaky power steering pump. When removing the pump, I assumed I'd be able to just unscrew the power steering line at the pump. However, the bolt on the line itself wouldn't rotate independently. I was able to LOOSEN the line at the pump, remove the bracket bolts and the rubber hose line, and then rotate the pump several times while still in the engine compartment (including the bracket and pulley) and remove the line attached to the pump that way. It made the entire process much more difficult than would be necessary if the bolt would have just unscrewed. I dont want to have to do the reverse to put a new pump back in.

To make this more clear, I'ave attached (I hope) a picture of the bolt, with my finger on the part that I assume should be able to rotate and unscrew. Right now, its frozen solid, so I'm not sure if there's something I'm just missing.

On a related topic, what particular power steering pump is recommended as a good replacement (this takes a Federal pump)? I've heard that Cardone remanufactured parts aren't the best so any suggestions would be appreciated ((I'm in the states).

Thanks.

Larry
Pwr Steering Bolt.jpg
Pwr Steering Bolt.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Replacement of Power Steering Pump

Post by Chris_R »

You should have been able to unscrew the smaller of those two hex nuts and unscrew it from the larger.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

(Based on the background of the photo...) It is unbelievable how much power steering fluid must have spewed out during the pump removal process!!!

:D

Rocky

(PS)I hope everyone recognizes a light-hearted joke!
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

I would try putting a deep 1/2 inch drive socket on a ratchet over the larger hex and using a line wrench on the smaller hex on the hose. You should be able to get a good grip on the big ratchet. You may need two people to do this. As for the pump I suggest going to a NAPA store as they do not use Cardone for their rebuilt units. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
elemgee

Post by elemgee »

What I did was spray some liquid wrench on the larger bolt threads last night, and then this afternoon put a monkey wrench on the larger bolt and a smaller wrench on the smaller bolt and was able to get the larger bolt off of the hose. So it was helpful to know that its supposed to come off.

Whats confusing to me though, is that its the larger bolt (the one my finger is on in the picture in my first post) that screws into the power steering pump (clockwise), but as it screws into the pump, its screwing OFF of the power steering line. So if I were to tighten it onto the power steering pump, it would be unscrewing from, and therefore very loose, on the power steering hose. I thought maybe that a prior owner for some reason jury-rigged the larger bolt onto the hose (maybe the original fitting broke) and so I was thinking about just buying a new hose, but the ones I've seen for this car start at around $100.

I'm thinking of just installing the hose onto the new pump the way I removed it from the old pump - rotate the pump around the hose fitting several times until its tight.
Grant

Post by Grant »

The smaller threaded union on your pipe is obviously seized, it should turn freely on the pipe, maybe someone has bent it which would also stop it turning :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

As Grant said the larger fitting gets screwed into the pump first and then you attach the line after the pump is on the car. You should be able to free up the fitting on the line by soaking it I would imagine. That would make installation easier. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

A new hose will only come with the small screw fitting. Ready to be screwed into the larger one!
Chris
JOC Member 6116
elemgee

Post by elemgee »

That makes a lot of sense. I'll soak the smaller fitting in some lubricant and see if I can get it to rotate.

ON a related question, I have tried for two days to find a replacement Federal pump. No one has any of the used pumps (Like the Cardone 20-6184) in stock, and I'm told that the manufacturer of a new pump (I've only found one) doesnt have any in stock. A Saginaw pump doesnt look like it would fit into the current brackets that i have. Is there some way a Saginaw pump can be used, or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Larry
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Last time I was in the USA in Kansas City I just walked in to the local O'Reilly's and got a Federal type pump off the shelf.
They're still listing a MasterPro remanufactured pump at $64.99
Chris
JOC Member 6116
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Larry have you tried a NAPA store? They should be able to get it for you and they do not use Cardone. If not see if they can send your pump out to the rebuilder. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
elemgee

Post by elemgee »

O'Reilly's shows 3 federal power steering pumps and NAPA shows 2, none of which are in stock. Thats been the case with everywhere I've looked. I did find a place that will rebuild mine which I may need to pursue. I've also purchased a rebuild kit so I may also give that a shot.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

This page shows "Ship to home" in stock https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/susp ... ering+Pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
JOC Member 6116
elemgee

Post by elemgee »

I saw this one. If you go through the order process to have it shipped, you wind up with a message saying its out of stock. Many of the websites I went to indicated the power steering pump was available (NAPA, Autozone), only to find that once you place the order, the item is out of stock. Theres even ONE on ebay that looked good, but when I went to order it, it said that the seller was on vacation and it couldn't be ordered (???). Seriously, these federal pumps are virtually impossible to find.

Thanks for looking though.
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Larry I am an auto parts wholesaler. I will see if I can locate a pump for you tomorrow. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”