Fuel line from Mechanical fuel pump to carb ('67 383).

Mopar Big Block Talk
johnw

Fuel line from Mechanical fuel pump to carb ('67 383).

Post by johnw »

Has anyone purchased a new fuel pipe to go from the Carter mechanical pump to the carb?

Jegs list this, but according to the review it doesn't fit.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Right-Stuff/965/RPC6809/10002/-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jegs also do a stainless version.

I see so many cars where people have chopped the pipe and pushed rubber over. Would be nice to have one piece metal all the way, as I occasionally see on unrestored Jensens sometimes.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Fuel line from Mechanical fuel pump to carb ('67 383).

Post by Chris_R »

I would say I'm not surprised it doesn't fit. It's for a Holley and for a Plymouth Roadrunner. The closest equivalent US car for the Jensen engine is the Dodge Coronet, I seem to remember David Millard telling me they used the police spec engine.
If you have a '67 383, originally that would be a Carter AFB. Probably a different inlet position. If you have some other carburetor then that will also likely be different to the Holley. Also, I think Jensen used rubber fuel pipes with a cotton braiding insulation. Whether that was a Jensen fitting or supplied like that from Chrysler I don't know.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
johnw

Post by johnw »

Chris_R wrote:Also, I think Jensen used rubber fuel pipes with a cotton braiding insulation. Whether that was a Jensen fitting or supplied like that from Chrysler I don't know.
I think it may have changed on later cars.

Of my Mk1 FFs that still had their original Carter 4BBLs (3 in total), all had steel fuel lines from the pump all the way to the carb. Possibly all CV8's and Mk1 Interceptors too had this. So FFs 036, 122 & 123. 123 was one owner, undriven since the 1970s. 122 still has the original steel pipe, Carter 4BBL and 58K miles, from its last use in the 70s. Also other FFs had butchered remains of pipes on them.

I have only ever had 383s, but a friends J series 440 I was looking at today has the female screw connection at the pump outlet like the 383s, although that could well be a replacement pump by now. That had a part way steel pipe with lagging, joined on to rubber so I think someone has been messing??

I'm concerned about engine fires and modern fuels rotting old rubber pipes, and need to replace a fuel pump anyway, so it seemed an opportune moment to get some steel in there. Ideally I would like pipework that goes from the pump to a modern Carter style Edelbrock 4BBL with electric choke, and an original style pipe for when I have a go at rebuilding an old Carter 4BBL with the bi-metallic pull off.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Moparguy

Post by Moparguy »

Right Stuff products , or Fine Lines in USA , specify carb and pump , never had trouble getting these , but not uncommon to get the wrong items ...

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”