Brake Pedal Non Return

Mopar Big Block Talk
ChrisG

Brake Pedal Non Return

Post by ChrisG »

Towards the end of a long drive yesterday my car seemed a bit sluggish away from the lights. I quickly realised my brake pedal was still very low to the floor and a quick kick upwards easily released it but it kept doing it over the last 10 miles.

Seems to have plenty of fluid up to the level marker so wondering what might have caused this situation . Any advice much appreciated.
ChrisG
128/4559 Interceptor III 1972
JOC Member 5252
Area Rep: NorthWest London
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Brake Pedal Non Return

Post by Chris_R »

There should be very little pedal travel when you apply the brakes. The only pedal travel should be enough to move the pistons that small amount needed to move them onto the discs. If you have too much pedal travel something is not right.
If the pedal is sticking down and there is resistance to going forward it sounds like the brakes are seizing on. Possible problem either in the master cylinder or the calipers or the hinge pivot for the brake pedal itself has become siezed and is sticking after you press the pedal.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

From experience my first port of call would be the last item Chris mentions above, the brake pedal pivot. :)
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Brake pedal staying down is very unusual. Like Chris said could be the pedal pivot or a problem with the master cylinder. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”