What is correct alignment when replacing timing gear?

Mopar Big Block Talk
esse1

What is correct alignment when replacing timing gear?

Post by esse1 »

despite instructions from 2 mopar recon books and several youtube videos that say timing gear alignment mark for cam gear should be at 6 o'clock with no.1 cylinder at tdc on compression stroke mine is at 12 o'clock ( engine still in car).

Then I found the following from another forum:-

I took another look today when I pulled the cam out, and there is a another whole in the sprocket close to the outside, and TDC is when both sprockets have their mark at 12 o'clock, if I have the marks pointing to each other the 6th plug would fire. Someone else posted that this occurred on their engine as well, but I will replace it in the same position then rather adjust it to the way I would think it should be. Thanks again.
Commando is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 AM #5
68GTX440
Mopar Fan

You probably already have things bolted back up, but if not, you may find the following information of some help when installing aftermarket cams and timing gears within your old mopar.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... irects%3D0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dazed and confused...
Last edited by esse1 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Interceptor III
128-8018
JOC Member 9685
slotcarone

Re: What is correct alignment when replacing timing gear?

Post by slotcarone »

Line up the dots and you will be correct. Yes this makes it look like the #6 cylinder is firing. Rotate the crank one turn and you will have your #1 firing. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
esse1

Post by esse1 »

Thanks slotcarone - I've got the link in my original post working now -just click on it and download -any comments on this?
Interceptor III
128-8018
JOC Member 9685
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

esse1 wrote:Thanks slotcarone - I've got the link in my original post working now -just click on it and download -any comments on this?

yes slotcarone is correct,if you set up no 1 cyl to tdc the timing mark on the camshaft will be at the very top but if you strike a straight edge through it you will see it lines up perfect with the crank shaft timing gear sprocket,, now rotate the crank just one turn the dots will come together and align perfectly, your good to go, but fit your distributer when you have the no cyl set correctly,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”